Apple sells out of first-day delivery iPhone 5 pre-orders, now quoting 2 weeks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A little over one hour after pre-orders for Apple's iPhone 5 started at midnight on Friday, the device is already showing shipping estimates slip to two weeks for all models.

iPhone 5 Shipping

It took less than two hours for Apple to run dry of its initial batch of iPhone 5s, with the company now quoting a two-week wait time for the new handset.

While a sellout was expected from analysts and pundits alike, many didn't foresee it happening so soon. It is unclear whether Apple actually sold more units than the previous iPhone 4S launch, which took nearly 24 hours to run through stock, or if the company had less stock on hand.

For those who have not yet purchased the iPhone 5 and want to grab one on launch day, the only option is to visit a brick-and-mortar Apple Store or another reseller like Walmart. The new handset will be in stores on Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Surprised, anybody?

;-)

• Reply 2 of 60
    This sucks. I was on at 12:01am and was told my order was reserved and to wait for another email. Now I get that email to complete my order and my shipping time is 2 weeks? WTF Apple?? That is poor customer service!
  • Reply 3 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecore25 View Post

This sucks. I was on at 12:01am and was told my order was reserved and to wait for another email. Now I get that email to complete my order and my shipping time is 2 weeks? WTF Apple?? That is poor customer service!

Did you order direct from Apple, or via a provider ?

I ordered direct and I still show the 21st as a delivery date

• Reply 4 of 60
    I had no problem at all ordering from Apple. It took about two minutes on my iPad at about 3:10 am. I've had terrible trouble on every previous product launch for iPads and the last couple of iPhones - this time it seems they were better prepared.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecore25 View Post

I think it's an issue with your carrier. What carrier do you have? I think Verizon was the best prepared, but Sprint and AT&T were having issues.

• Reply 6 of 60

How is this "poor customer service"

Because they made millions of phones that are distributed to 20 countries
    And they ran out?!?

Is it poor customer service when they run out of M3's at the local bmw dealership?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Ordered from Sprint at 1:34 PDT, and they stated in email receipt: "Excluding extreme circumstances, we'll do our best to get it to you Friday, Sept. 21." Crossing fingers.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

I think it's an issue with your carrier. What carrier do you have? I think Verizon was the best prepared, but Sprint and AT&T were having issues.

My carrier doesn't accept pre-orders but has said that they will have plenty in stores on the 21st... will test their claim at 9:00 AM that day lol.

• Reply 9 of 60

If I want to upgrade from AT&T's website, the shipping time is still Sept 21

• Reply 10 of 60
    What a crock, this is the first time I have preordered an Iphone. I spent 2 hours going back and forth on my laptop between AT
  • Reply 11 of 60

Ah you lucky guys! Some get it on 21st while others wait for 2 weeks. That is much better than waiting for the iPhone to be announced for your country and then waiting for it to actually launch and then waiting for it to get to you!

The last time around, the 4S was released, but the 64GB model was withheld for some reason. I ended up not buying it locally and got it from someone who was coming back from the US. I may not be that lucky this time so I hope the 64 GB does release here along with the other models.

• Reply 12 of 60

Shit!

I couldn't stay awake, and ordered 2 iP5s and 1 iP4S.  The iP5s show 2 weeks, the iP4S is 2 days.

Well... AAPL will probably be over $700 before we get the iP5s.

• Reply 13 of 60
    Got my confirmation email from Verizon at 2:58 am eastern. Started the process about 2:51 pm eastern. verizonwireless.com had the Preorder Now button live a few minutes early, just as they did on February 3, 2011 for the iPhone 4. (I didn't preorder the 4S - skipped that one). Says deliver by: September 21, 2012!
  • Reply 14 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCajun View Post

What a crock, this is the first time I have preordered an Iphone. I spent 2 hours going back and forth on my laptop between AT

Perhaps you need to speak to AT&T. no issues here ordering direct from Apple

In the UK not all providers have offered the iPhone 5 on pre-order ... O2 who are an apple partner (and who seem to have been shafted by apple over LTE support) have not opened pre-order yet , Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile have

I suspect O2 wont be pushing apple as much in the future, which is a shame as they are the only company offering the Visual Voicemail servers in the UK (Orange promised but never delivered)

• Reply 15 of 60

Weirdly, I just placed an order with my provider, Orange UK, and they have sent an email saying that the phone will be delivered between 9am and 5pm on Monday (19th)... 

• Reply 16 of 60

I tried ordering through ATT for 45 minutes with no luck until giving up and ordering through Apple (I'm on a family plan and couldn't get the shipping address changed through Apple) only to discover the shipping time had slipped to 2 weeks. My order was placed at about 3:50 EST. Curse you ATT. 

• Reply 17 of 60

What a hassle. Apple wouldn't let me change my shipping address and AT&T wouldn't recognize that I already had an existing data plan. I ended up going through Apple and I'll have to get my shipping address changed in the next week. Hopefully the 2 weeks is wrong since pre orders started 4 hours ago.

• Reply 18 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Hopefully the 2 weeks is wrong since pre orders started 4 hours ago.

I placed my order at 3:50 this morning and was given a 2 week shipping time. If you recently placed your order I think you're out of luck for a launch day delivery (unless Apple pulls a bunch of iPhones out of their DVD drive).

• Reply 19 of 60

That was fast and expected. Looks like I made it. 

Available to ship: Delivers 9/21

Part Number: MD658LL/A

• Reply 20 of 60
    So glad I woke up @ 2:45! Tried to order through the Apple App because they said it was easier... all but the checkout! On the east coast I got to the checkout on the App by 3:03AM and from there it just kept timing out for 15 minutes. Gave up and ended up ordering on-line through Apple and for me at least was a piece of cake... the checkout seemed to take the longest. Received the conformation email @3:19AM and went to bed.

Perhaps the only thing that saved me was my 100mbps service from Comcast because in the past it was a nightmare!

For those still looking received an email from Best Buy to pre-order in the Mobile Stores and receive it by 9/21. I did that for the iPhone 4 because of the ordering issues and at it at launch...