Apple's aggressive iPhone 5 launch schedule to reach 31 countries in Sept. quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm very happy it's more aluminum and less glass.

I'm very happy they are using glass for the back inserts and not plastic. It's pretty amazing that they have 725 choices to find an exact match. We tend to think of these devices as being all exactly the same but the reality is quite different. I wonder if the 725 figure is just a new marketing spin (yes, it's definitely being stated for marketing reasons) or if this number really is very, very high for a consumer device's fit and finish.

Interestingly it is the aluminum case that has the variations. The glass they can apparently hold to tighter tolerances which is understandable. The aluminum is much softer and affected by the heat of the cutting tool. JeffDM could probably explain it better.

• Reply 22 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.

Just had to slide that negative comment in there, didn't you? You must be awesome at parties, what with that positive attitude of yours.

• Reply 23 of 30

It's not just other countries that are launching on the 28th. I saw on my facebook feed last night that GCI and ACS, two smaller regional carriers here in Alaska, are both launching the five on the 28th. This goes against past practices, which saw smaller carriers not getting their hands on the latest iPhones until 6 months or so after launch.

This means two things: 1) Apple finally renegotiated their contracts with AT&T and Verizon, which gave both a large head start in sales over smaller companies, and 2) Apple is serious about selling as many of these things as possible before the end of Q4 2012. As high as their stock is right now, it's not high enough for some people, evidently.

Although there are plenty of screens available for the 5's, those rumors about production shortages may well be true, which would explain why the iPod's won't be released until sometime in October, even though they were announced yesterday. Generally, it's not a good sign when Apple holds off on giving out a solid release date. Since the new Touch uses the same screen as the 5, it stands to reason they devoted the majority of their capacity to the 5's first to get them out the door, and as supply builds back up, then they will roll out the new iPods.

• Reply 24 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
     I'd love to see Apple go private again. I know it would take years for Apple to buyback all it's stock and I know Apple would have to find some way to incentivize top employees to stick with the company, but wouldn't it be glorious not to have to bend to the whim of revenue and profit seeking shareholders (within and outside the company).

Employees can own part of a privately held company.

cash907 wrote: »

Just had to slide that negative comment in there, didn't you? You must be awesome at parties, what with that positive attitude of yours.

It would be understandable if those parties tended to attract android trolls like this site seems to.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mstone wrote: »
    Interestingly it is the aluminum case that has the variations. The glass they can apparently hold to tighter tolerances which is understandable. The aluminum is much softer and affected by the heat of the cutting tool. JeffDM could probably explain it better.

I didn't think it was the aluminum. I thought it was mainly the way the camera, mic and flash line up on the boards that were the real issues. I'd expect the milled aluminum to be very exact, albeit not as exact as the glass, as you say.
  • Reply 26 of 30

That's what happens when you have Tim Cook (who specializes in operations, and is pretty much the best in the [or any] industry) as CEO.

• Reply 27 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be understandable if those parties tended to attract android trolls like this site seems to.

Cheap, unrelated, unnecessary shots don't exactly bring class to the joint, unless the majority of users here operate on the same toddler mentality. If that's y'alls goal, well knock yourself out. I thought I was dealing with adults.. my mistake.

• Reply 28 of 30
    cash907 wrote: »
    Cheap, unrelated, unnecessary shots don't exactly bring class to the joint, unless the majority of users here operate on the same toddler mentality. If that's y'alls goal, well knock yourself out. I thought I was dealing with adults.. my mistake.

You talk about behaving like a child and negative comments and yet that's all I've seen you post on this thread. Oddly enough, you've exhibited those traits whilst complaining about those traits. That strikes me as odd.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    quadra 610 wrote:
    That. Looks. Hot. 

Incredibly stylish. 

Easily the best looking iPhone they've ever made and it's very fast too:

[VIDEO]

The panorama feature is really quick. This is clearly the phone everyone wanted last year:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5-pre-order-sells-out-20x-faster-than-4-and-4s-further-highlighting-apples-dominance/

Q1 they sold 37 million iPhones, perhaps Q4 will top 50 million.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »

I'm out of my element on that one. I haven't needed such tight tolerances on such dissimilar materials. My closest is ±0.005" for stainless to aluminum, and I don't think my part-to-part variation is ever more than half that. All of my stuff is hand assembled, on the off chance something doesn't fit, another piece is used.