Apple reinvents the iPod nano: 2.5" screen, home button, built-in Bluetooth

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

it begs the question, why the hell have they done nothing to the Classic and why is it still for sale if they refuse to update it?

So my question to Apple is, why? and when?

They could easily have pushed out updates with higher capacities but have purposefully chosen not to. The Classic will probably be discontinued when they release an SSD based media player with a roughly equivalent capacity. I have always assumed a 128 GB iPod Touch would be the trigger, even though that would represent a slight drop in capacity.

I'm tempted to think they keep it around because it represents the device that made Apple relevant again, reinvigorated the company and rescued them from an otherwise certain demise.

• Reply 42 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I'm sure it will be popular with kids but the white borders really make this Nano look terrible aesthetically.

• Reply 43 of 59
    I like the colors. I am guessing they left the faceplate white to keep the image on the screen from appearing tinted. For example if you had a white image on a blue faceplate, the image would be perceived as tinted yellow. The black/white faceplate should help keep colors being perceived properly.
  • Reply 44 of 59

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

the complete removal of the ability to type at all might not be too big a drawback..

Fixed.

• Reply 45 of 59
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The misstep that people absolutely love as a watch, you mean?

I would argue that only a very, very small number of people actually did that. Sure it's a cool implementation, but not likely a driver of sales. Since the square/clipped nano was release, I've only ever seen a grand total of 2 or 3 in actual use. I've actaully seen more iPod mini's in use in that same timeframe.

As for people saying how great the clip was, the clip is ok (although someething that could be very easily added by 3rd parties if you really wanted one, and added bulk if you didn't). But the screen/UI was horrible (in my opinion). I said at the time it was released that if they wanted a touchscreen they should have simply chopped off the scroll wheel from the previous nano and made the screen that size. That's essentially what this new nano is. This is the 3rd time Apple made design mis-steps:

1. The fat/squat nano

2. The buttonless shuffle

3. The clip-on nano

Returning to something which is essentially the previous design is as close as Apple will come to admitting that they screwed up. It would be very interesting to see iPod sales numbers trended through each of these three models.

• Reply 46 of 59

I had just gotten used to the size of the old Nano...as I use one for a watch. I guess Apple realized, just like with the shuffl and the short/fat nano, that the nano needs to be bigger. Too bad they couldn't keep both sizes, but hey.

My only complaint with the new nano is purely cosmetic...it is FUGLY a sin. If I didn't know it was an Apple product I would think it was Colby knock-off mp3 player. Yuck. 

• Reply 47 of 59

7" iPad so long awaited by samsungers, eh. 

Watch-shaped Nano looked classier...

• Reply 48 of 59
    I set my hopes in the nano. Why not make it a stylish iWatch (curved glass) and use Bluetooth 4 to link it to the iPhones content. It would have been that kind of "one more thing" I missed on the event. Now I got to wear the shabby pebble.

Might consider it for workout though as it remains the only device with FM radio. With my provider, data limit and reception I prefer FM instead of digital radio.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    So, are these still on the Linux-based iPod OS they used for the previous iPod Nano or have they moved to iOS?

timgriff84 wrote: »
    I would guess not long. The first thought you get is that it looks like a lumia, but instead of 2 columns of square icons there round. And rather than the black of the screen being hard to differentiate from the black surround on a lumia, they've gone with a contrasting white.
    To some extent it does look like a cheap lumia. When you actually see one though I bet it looks completely different.

My first thought was these look like a Chinese KIRF of the Lumia. I don't care for these at all.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I like the colors. I am guessing they left the faceplate white to keep the image on the screen from appearing tinted. For example if you had a white image on a blue faceplate, the image would be perceived as tinted yellow. The black/white faceplate should help keep colors being perceived properly.

White on the lighter colours and black on black also helps keep the contrast down. For me the worst looking part is the icon screen. I really don't like the colour matched backdrops and the circular icons. The screenshots with the other apps look ok though.

The blue one makes me think of an old woman in Florida wearing a bright neon blue tracksuit going out for a jog.

1000 1000

That's not quite what I was thinking, Google Images is pretty useless sometimes. I don't mind it finding hotter, younger women by accident but most of the results are totally random.
  • Reply 51 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My first thought was these look like a Chinese KIRF of the Lumia. I don't care for these at all.

Or the Samsung Yepp:

http://www.displayblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/samsung_yepp_yp_p3n_32gb_mp3_media_player.jpg

• Reply 52 of 59
    morrolan wrote: »

I assume the Yeep's feel, quality, SW, or experience would be far inferior to the new Nano as I've had plenty of Nanos in the past, but I do think the Yeep looks better than the new Nanos. I really hope Apple is working on a watch (or wearable, in general) iPod that will take the place of last year's Nano a year from now.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am Sorry Jonathan Ive:

The iPod Lumia is a rip off.
    The iPod Touch looks juvenile.
    The iPhone looks like a tool.

There's no magic crossover between the visual arts
  • Reply 54 of 59

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The iPod Lumia is a rip off.

The iPod Touch looks juvenile.

The iPhone looks like a tool.

There's no magic crossover between the visual arts

I am sorry, uninformed.

The iPod nano comes from the design of the iPhone in 2006 and from iPod touch models that existed long before the Lumia.

The iPod touch looks more adult than previous iterations thanks to the back.

The iPhone… I have nothing to say about that because what the heck does "looking like a tool" mean?

There's a magic crossover happening here, that's for sure.

• Reply 55 of 59
    A larger scaled up version of a prior Nano is not stealing a design--it's augmenting a prior patented design and adding other patented design features of iDevices to their own product line.
  • Reply 56 of 59

I am not that upset about the design... just wish that the new Nano somehow had GPS.  Then it would be perfect for us runners.

• Reply 57 of 59

Anyone have any insight on the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.

I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?

• Reply 58 of 59
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">Anyone have any insight on the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.</span>
    <br style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">
    <br style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?</span>

I ordered mine two weeks ago. I'll let you know when it ships, which might be the first indicator.

Guys, the nano is not a rip-off of the Lumia. It's almost an exact copy of the iPod Mini (2004) and the second generation iPod Nano (2006), but with a touchscreen instead of the small screen and scroll wheel.

• Reply 59 of 59

Not sure if it means anything, but in contrast to my dock-to-lightning connector, which shows as "Processing Items", my (Product)Red™ Nano (with engraving) is "Preparing for Shipment", which I presume could mean it's being engraved. My intuition tells me that we may see these very very soon.