Apple's iPhone 5 praised as 'a Rolex among a sea of Timexes'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 191

removed- no longer relevant

• Reply 102 of 191
    Having just had to fork out $800 to have my Rolex 'serviced' as it lost seconds every day 
    Well that's not so bad. My Watch loses a second every second.

You will live forever because [your heart is pure] your watch is slow.
  • Reply 103 of 191
    jragosta wrote: »
    Thinner and lighter.
    Far more powerful processor
    Different appearance (funny how the trolls whined about the 4S for not having a different appearance, but don't consider the different appearance to be a selling point for the new one)
    New capabilities with the connector
    Improved battery life
    LTE connectivity
    Sounds like plenty of reason to switch.

You are correct. In fact, there are many more features as well.

Improved display (99% sRGB Standard Color Gamut accuracy)
    Improved durability (anodized aluminum back with ceramic glass or pigmented glass, sapphire crystal lens, display edges don't protrude unnecessarily beyond the edge)
    Faster Wi-Fi
    Improved FaceTime camera
    Simultaneous video and still photography
    Improved backside illumination
    Improved video stabilization
    Face detection for video
    Wideband Audio (HD Voice)
    Superior headphones (EarPods)
    Three microphones (Improved call quality and Improved Speech Recognition)

Based on Apple's claims the Apple iPhone 5 should easily be the fastest smartphone available upon release on 21 September 2012.
    The Apple iPhone 5 will be the thinnest smartphone available upon release on 21 September 2012.

Some iPhone users desired a larger display; Apple complied without making a significantly larger smartphone while continuing to improve performance and expand features.
    Some iPhone users desired a more durable smartphone; Apple complied with an elegant design.
  • Reply 104 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Substitute Kia for Ford to be more accurate ....

Don't think so, but a Kia in a sea of Fords might work

• Reply 105 of 191
    rednival wrote: »
    Even phones that seem well built can wear over time

My Droid X seemed like it was pretty well built initially. The case and battery cover were some sort of alloy.  It was very durable overall.  I am not going pretend it wasn't.  But after 2 years my battery cover wouldn't stay on.  The phone and the outside of the battery cover were both solid and remained in great shape, but the latches on the battery cover were the weakest link.  They simply wore down.  I had to pull the battery cover regularly to access the micro SD card and to reboot the device when it froze.  There was probably another way but pulling the battery was easy.  I did that for years not knowing I was causing damage to the phone BECAUSE IT WAS CONVENIENT.  The design allowed me to do something that ultimately ruined my phone.

Had there been no battery cover, it would have annoyed me, but the device would still be in remarkable shape.  It looks as good as the day I bought it, but once you pick it up and realize the battery cover is loose,  it feels like a piece of garbage in your hand.

It made me realize that there is a advantage to the way Apple constructs things.  

I own an iPhone now and I'll never complain about the lack of a battery cover.

Of 3 original 2007 iPhones, 2 are still in use as IPods. One of these has clear packing tape on the display -- as the display was cracked when hit by a glancing blow from a baseball bat (while in my granddaughter's) back jeans pocket.
  • Reply 106 of 191
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    But there are watches built better than a Rolex.

Unfortunately the iPod Nano is no longer wearable on your wrist, so your statement is no longer correct.
  • Reply 107 of 191
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jragosta wrote: »
    (funny how the trolls whined about the 4S for not having a different appearance, but don't consider the different appearance to be a selling point for the new one)

It's called moving the goalpost. It happens a lot.

Combining two posts from two different posters, and adding some items:
    Thinner and lighter.
    2x more powerful processor
    2x more powerful graphics
    Different appearance
    New capabilities with the connector
    Improved battery life
    LTE connectivity
    Improved display (99% sRGB Standard Color Gamut accuracy)
    Faster Wi-Fi (adds WiFi a, adds 5GHz band for 'a' and 'n' )
    Improved FaceTime camera
    Simultaneous video and still photography
    Improved backside illumination
    Improved video stabilization
    Face detection for video
    Wideband Audio (HD Voice)
    Superior headphones (EarPods)
    Three microphones (Improved call quality and Improved Speech Recognition)
    Some iPhone users desired a larger display; Apple complied without making a significantly larger smartphone while continuing to improve performance and expand features.
    Some iPhone users desired a more durable smartphone; Apple complied with an elegant design.

To obliviously boil the delta from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 to "just a bigger screen" is basically a troll or an extremely oblivious comment. It would have been different if he said "I only care about the bigger screen", but that wasn't what he wrote.
  • Reply 108 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Do you want me to post a picture of all the apple products I own? I am reporting you now. You post are getting real nasty . I am sure telling me to shutup is against the rules of this forum. Prove to me that the iphone 4s camera is NOT the same quality. Every site I have seen even apples show the camera specs as the same.  all they did was make it thinner. The fstop ,  mega pixel count, lense count are all the same on the iphone 5 and the iphone 4s.

“We asked our team to design something better than the iPhone 4S, and they’ve done that…8-megapixel, backside illuminated, hybrid IR filter,” Schiller said. “But they didn’t stop there. They enhanced it even further: Dynamic low light mode, precision lens alignment, sapphire crystal…”

Plus, the iPhone 5 has a faster refresh rate.
  • Reply 110 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But it's just a stretched 4S with an ugly two toned back. If Steve were alive he would have thrown this in the rubbish bin at first sight. /s

Exactly!  After painstakingly designing it himself, he would take it and throw it in the trash.  Makes sense.

Stop attributing your own ignorant opinions to Steve, you have no f-ing clue what he would have done.

• Reply 111 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Jeager LeCoultre, now we're talking. I have one from the 50s that still works great and has a mechanical alarm. A tiny hammer bangs against the case. State of the art in it's time.

Mark of quality.  :)

• Reply 112 of 191
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by seltzdesign View Post

Eyerone who is complaining about the analogy not working because "there is better watches than rolex" is on my ignore list now. Along with all the grammer nazi's.. I really like posts like these to filter it down to commenters who are saying stuff that has a point and adds to the argument.

:|

Over a year and a half and this being your 10th post, I am sure no one really cares.

• Reply 113 of 191
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "If Steve were alive he would have thrown this in the rubbish bin at first sight"
    Doubt it. He was alive for the 4S, and I remember them saying he was working on the 5 before he died. I'm betting this is exactly what he was expectin
    Ever heard of sarcasm?
  • Reply 114 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by kForceZero View Post

Exactly!  After painstakingly designing it himself, he would take it and throw it in the trash.  Makes sense.

Stop attributing your own ignorant opinions to Steve, you have no f-ing clue what he would have done.

How could you possibly know that?

• Reply 115 of 191
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kforcezero wrote: »

I see sarcasm is lost on you too.
  • Reply 116 of 191

I always preferred Omega to Rolex, but I understand the point the writer was trying to get across ... 

Personally speaking I've been waiting for the iPhone 5 for two years now.  Never really felt the need to upgrade from the iPhone 4 to the 4s.  The only thing that really would have made me upgrade was Siri, but it honestly wasn't enough ... especially considering if I just waited a little longer any future products would also have Siri in them.  I'll be ordering an iPhone 5 next month :)  

• Reply 117 of 191
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    To obliviously boil the delta from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 to "just a bigger screen" is basically a troll or an extremely oblivious comment..
    That may be true for that particular post, but, I'm a huge fan of the iPhone, and I am underwhelmed by this offering. To me, it is what the iPhone 4S should have been.

Nevertheless, it is not something that compels me to upgrade my iPhone 4 (no S). I'll wait for the 5S or 6 next year.

The reality is many of the improved features will not be used by most consumers. I just drove up the entire west coast on the major interstate, and rarely had 3G on AT&T, much less LTE on Verizon (makes me wonder how AT&T thinks its going to retire 2G). Fact is, most consumers are going to see this as a 4/S with a longer screen. Many of the internal improvements are going to be lost on them since the bar was already so high on the 4S. LTE will be a selling point for the naive consumer, many of whom will not have reliable LTE coverage outside of limited major metro areas, nor understand the limitations of Verizon & Sprint networks. They will simply think they have the latest and eatest. But anyone who does their research will likely not upgrade from the 4S, or the 4 for that matter.

I also don't think the metal back is going to be more durable than the glass. Dropping the phone is still going to cause damage in much the same way as dropping the original iPhone did. I had only a few minor slips and ended up with some major dents in the metal case, and cracks in the front glass, even though it never landed on the front. Unlike plastic, there is no give on the case, so the shock is transferred full force, in some cases intensified, throughout the phone.

I will say that this phone seems to be the realization of Steve Jobs dream as represented by the first iPhone, which was kind of a clumsy realization of his metal and glass device ideal. It is very nice looking and the features I use have been given nice improvements. But it is not a must have. My iPhone 4 will keep up just fine for at least another year if not two, unless Apple continues to drop support for things I actually use with iOS 7, or OSX 9.

Lengthening the iPhone holds absolutely no interest for me. I don't want my phone bigger ... I want it smaller. Take the iPhone 4, put it in a metal case, trim the top and bottom bezel to as narrow as practical (get rid of that big honking home button to do it -- see the new Nano), and that's an improvement in mobile smartphones. Hopefully Apple will continue to offer the 4S form factor, updated and revised as necessary, and essentially offering two size choices going forward. However, knowing Apple I will not hold my breath.

Sorry. Not a troll. Just being pragmatic, which I realize does not represent most of the iOS fan community. I've been told that Texas Instruments employees are poised to replace all of their corporate contract iPhone 4S with early termination fees in order to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I can only shake my head, because doing that is a luxury, which to me seems totally unjustified by the improvements of the 5.

And I can only imagine the confusion consumers are going to have choosing between the 4 & 4S. I wonder if the 4S will be a poor seller because people who buy the iPhone for status will choose the free 4 since it loos just like the 4S, and will buy the 5 so people don't think they have the free phone. Smart marketing on Apple's part. But for most consumers, aside from those using them exclusively in major urban markets where LTE is prevelent (and they are data hogs), the marginal differences between the three models will be mostly unnoticed.
  • Reply 118 of 191

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

That may be true for that particular post, but, I'm a huge fan of the iPhone, and I am underwhelmed by this offering. To me, it is what the iPhone 4S should have been.

So instead of completely updating absolutely every single aspect of the phone's operation and making it twice as fast, they should have completely updated absolutely every single aspect of the phone's operation, PLUS the port, PLUS the screen, and made it 4x faster?

Come on.

The reality is many of the improved features will not be used by most consumers.

There's still no AT&T 3G where I live. Does that mean Apple should still be waiting to release a 3G phone? 

…which to me seems totally unjustified by the improvements of the 5.

You mean the improvements to absolutely every aspect of the phone.

And I can only imagine the confusion consumers are going to have choosing between the 4 & 4S.

Given that there was none when it was new, there won't be any now. How does your brain let you type out these words without catching the flaws? 

…major urban markets where LTE is prevalent…

I live in a place where AT&T doesn't even have 3G. I also live in a place where Verizon has LTE. I'm most decidedly NOT urban in the slightest. Not even major urban. It's a city by legal definition, but it's definitely rural.

• Reply 119 of 191
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Should have? Based on what? Was the technology to make the iPhone 5 available last year? Nope. So how should Apple have been able to make the iPhone 5 last year?

Furthermore, what is it with you trolls who insist that you know more than Apple about building a phone?
    Nevertheless, it is not something that compels me to upgrade my iPhone 4 (no S). I'll wait for the 5S or 6 next year.
    The reality is many of the improved features will not be used by most consumers. I just drove up the entire west coast on the major interstate, and rarely had 3G on AT&T, much less LTE on Verizon (makes me wonder how AT&T thinks its going to retire 2G). Fact is, most consumers are going to see this as a 4/S with a longer screen. Many of the internal improvements are going to be lost on them since the bar was already so high on the 4S. LTE will be a selling point for the naive consumer, many of whom will not have reliable LTE coverage outside of limited major metro areas, nor understand the limitations of Verizon & Sprint networks. They will simply think they have the latest and eatest. But anyone who does their research will likely not upgrade from the 4S, or the 4 for that matter.

Let's see:
    Faster processor
    Lighter weight
    Bigger screen
    Better camera
    LTE (which is available in hundreds of cities)
    Yeah, no one could possibly use any of those features. /s
    I also don't think the metal back is going to be more durable than the glass. Dropping the phone is still going to cause damage in much the same way as dropping the original iPhone did. I had only a few minor slips and ended up with some major dents in the metal case, and cracks in the front glass, even though it never landed on the front. Unlike plastic, there is no give on the case, so the shock is transferred full force, in some cases intensified, throughout the phone.

Wow. So Apple is criticized for having glass on both sides of the iPhone 4S, but now they get criticized for replacing glass with metal on one side because the metal is no better? Could you please get together with all the other trolls and try to be consistent?

Specifically, there have been cases where the iPhone 4/4S was dropped and only the back glass was broken. If they had dropped the iPhone 5 in exactly the same way, there would probably have been no breakage.

More importantly, breakage was not the only reason for replacing the glass with metal. It also contributes to the thinness of the phone.
    I will say that this phone seems to be the realization of Steve Jobs dream as represented by the first iPhone, which was kind of a clumsy realization of his metal and glass device ideal. It is very nice looking and the features I use have been given nice improvements. But it is not a must have. My iPhone 4 will keep up just fine for at least another year if not two, unless Apple continues to drop support for things I actually use with iOS 7, or OSX 9.
    Lengthening the iPhone holds absolutely no interest for me. I don't want my phone bigger ... I want it smaller. Take the iPhone 4, put it in a metal case, trim the top and bottom bezel to as narrow as practical (get rid of that big honking home button to do it -- see the new Nano), and that's an improvement in mobile smartphones. Hopefully Apple will continue to offer the 4S form factor, updated and revised as necessary, and essentially offering two size choices going forward. However, knowing Apple I will not hold my breath.
    Sorry. Not a troll. Just being pragmatic, which I realize does not represent most of the iOS fan community. I've been told that Texas Instruments employees are poised to replace all of their corporate contract iPhone 4S with early termination fees in order to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I can only shake my head, because doing that is a luxury, which to me seems totally unjustified by the improvements of the 5.

Yeah, so you know TI's needs better than TI does. I guess that makes sense since you know Apple's capabilities better than Apple does, too. *shakes head*.

And if no one wants the features of the iPhone 5, why is it that it sold out so quickly?
    And I can only imagine the confusion consumers are going to have choosing between the 4 & 4S. I wonder if the 4S will be a poor seller because people who buy the iPhone for status will choose the free 4 since it loos just like the 4S, and will buy the 5 so people don't think they have the free phone. Smart marketing on Apple's part. But for most consumers, aside from those using them exclusively in major urban markets where LTE is prevelent (and they are data hogs), the marginal differences between the three models will be mostly unnoticed.

Uh huh. No one will know the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S so they'll all buy the iPhone 4. I guess that's why the 4S was such a lousy seller. /s
  • Reply 120 of 191
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

They could have advertised it as "four to five times a 1980 60M$ Cray-1, in your hand"

Yeah, that really rolls off the tongue!

Can you make it into a jingle for us???