Apple confirms discontinuation of iPhone 3GS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

I wonder if the 4 and the 4S are going to be limied to the 8gig set up or will they up it to 16 (which would kinda piss me off).

They'll be 8 for the rest of their lives.

And there's no a whole lot of sense in you being "upset" at people who decide not to clutter their Springboard with custom photos. Maybe we LIKE the backgrounds that Apple provides.

• Reply 42 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They'll be 8 for the rest of their lives.

And there's no a whole lot of sense in you being "upset" at people who decide not to clutter their Springboard with custom photos. Maybe we LIKE the backgrounds that Apple provides.

The 4S only comes in the 16GB config.

• Reply 43 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by FruityCyclops View Post

That has got to be the most uninformed opinion I've read in a while - why so much hate? The new Nokia phones are quite impressive and best the iPhone 5 in many respects based on specs alone.

It was just announced the older phones will get an upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 and will not be left behind. The new phones have no release date yet, but the carriers are already prepping for release.

Specs alone... argument failure, right there. Do you buy a car based on specs alone?

Regardless, which specs? Screen size? Ok. Screen quality? A wash, likely. Camera? Open for debate. Processor? Apple's A-series almost ALWAYS bests the competition for quite a while in benchmarks. Battery life? I question Nokia's 10 hour claim. Weight? Apple wins hands down.

Oh, and until a release date and price... isn't it all moot? The iPhone 5 is real, the Lumia 920 has only been announced.

• Reply 44 of 47
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

I ACTUALLY LIKE DESIGN OF 3GS PHONE BETTER THAN NEW ONES.  JUST NEEDS NEW CHIP.

• Reply 45 of 47

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The 4S only comes in the 16GB config.

Right, sorry, that's what I meant.

Originally Posted by gdog View Post

I ACTUALLY LIKE DESIGN OF 3GS PHONE BETTER THAN NEW ONES.  JUST NEEDS NEW CHIP.

THAT WAS A DUMB RUMOR LAST YEAR THAT HAD NO FOUNDATION IN REALITY.

• Reply 46 of 47

Originally Posted by banden View Post

How much does a feature phone cost in the developing world?  If Apple could sell it at say, just above cost, and that cost was in range of a feature phone, then wouldn't it make sense to market the 3GS as an introduction to the Apple experience

You can often get a feature phone for free. A friend pre-paid ¥199 (about US$32) for a year's worth of service (outgoing calls and outgoing SMS are extra) and was sent a phone for free.

Personally, I don't think the 3GS is a good introduction to the Apple experience. With modern software, it just runs too slowly, and might actually sour people to the Apple ecosystem.

• Reply 47 of 47
    arthur123 wrote: »
    I still use my 3GS. Gets great reception in NYC.
    My 3GS was originally on a 2 year ATT contract, but after the contract expired I got it unlocked and moved it over to T-Mobile.
    Great phone. Upgraded it to iOS 5 and it still works well.
    I think I still be using it 2 years from now.
    Apple supported this product (and all their products) for a long time.

Unfortunately, I could not say so about the 1st generation iPad. It is lagging like hell under iOS 5 and even "simple" apps regularly crash due to memory limitations (remember: 256 mb of RAM, hardly 80 free for running apps).

It is a pity this expensive investment (64 gb 3G) merely lasted two years... :(