Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Less than half a day after opening iPhone 5 pre-orders, Apple has been hit with stockouts of all models, including those provided to U.S. wireless carriers.

In a statement to All Things D, Apple spokeswoman Nat Kerris said, ?Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible. We?ve been completely blown away by the customer response.?

iPhone 5
Source: Apple

iPhone 5 pre-orders went live at 12:01 a.m. PDT, with customer demand at Apple's online store seeing a sellout of first-day shipment stock in about an hour. Launch day stock at the three major U.S. wireless operators, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, likewise dwindled some hours later. Sprint is the only carrier with units available for delivery on Sept. 21, however stock is limited to the 32GB and 64GB models.

While the initial batch of launch day iPhone 5s are sold out, Apple and its partners are still taking pre-orders for the device, with the Online Apple Store now quoting ship-by dates of 2-3 weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162

But isn't is supposed to be a disappointment?

Well, maybe in Trollistan, or Trollvania.

• Reply 2 of 162
    Imagine that, the Chinese must be smiling maybe even laughing.
  • Reply 3 of 162
    iPhone 5 selling out was never doubted, the reasons why it sells out so quickly and how many they had available should be the real story.
  • Reply 4 of 162
    Uh oh, you know what this means. Apple intentionally shorted the inventory so that they could make this claim.
    /s
  • Reply 5 of 162
    I love the `tech gurus of the Android world' talking smack about a blah product. Quality sells out. A choice of 50 so-so and a few very large screen phones will force OEMs to rethink it all from the ground up. Google is reaping money off your advertisement relationships. They could care less if the OEMs fail. They'll quietly make sure their subsidiary, MM, starts to put out more compelling solutions.
  • Reply 6 of 162
    psych_guy wrote: »
    Uh oh, you know what this means. Apple intentionally shorted the inventory so that they could make this claim.
    /s

Bullshit. People come up with this all the time. Apple is in a hurry. iPhone Sales continously were decreasing in the past month due to people waited for the iPhone 5. The Financial Quarter ends September so they must sell each unit they have in Order to meet the goals the market will expect from them.

Apple will release a sneak peek next week and I would estimate 7 million units sold in 3-5 days
  • Reply 7 of 162
    Apple intentionally shorted inventory, this guy makes me laugh eithe he is trolling or he is comple buffoon
  • Reply 8 of 162
    iPhone 5 is a great phone and provides everything consumers want.

This is gonna be huge
  • Reply 9 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

iPhone 5 selling out was never doubted, the reasons why it sells out so quickly and how many they had available should be the real story.

Probably because it continues this:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey.html

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/07/iphone-customer-satisfaction-bests-rivals-jd-power/

Like every iPhone that ever existed. 

• Reply 10 of 162
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Apple intentionally shorted inventory, this guy makes me laugh eithe he is trolling or he is comple buffoon

Or maybe he was being sarcastic...

I believe "/s" is how tech people denote sarcasm. I take it you've never read any of his earlier posts?
  • Reply 11 of 162
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    psych_guy wrote: »
    /s

No, that's only one of the possible reasons. I covered this in a different thread:
    AI needs a poll option. Then we could ask all the trolls for the real reason why the shipping time has slipped.

a. Apple is artificially constraining supply to make it look like there's more demand than there really is.

b. It's just all the Apple sheep who have to run out and buy immediately and demand will fall off quickly.

c. Apple is restricting US supplies so that they can provide more for Germany as a payoff for the German courts siding with Apple against Motorola.

d. Apple is lying about the numbers.

e. Obviously, Apple has supply problems. Sharp can't deliver enough screens.

I wonder what the real reason is? After all, we know that it can't be high demand since it's obvious that this phone is nothing more than a spec bump.
  • Reply 12 of 162
    rodent wrote: »
    Imagine that, the Chinese must be smiling maybe even laughing.

I smell a rat! :o)
  • Reply 13 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

Bullshit. People come up with this all the time. Apple is in a hurry. iPhone Sales continously were decreasing in the past month due to people waited for the iPhone 5. The Financial Quarter ends September so they must sell each unit they have in Order to meet the goals the market will expect from them.

Apple will release a sneak peek next week and I would estimate 7 million units sold in 3-5 days

Somebody needs to pay more attention to the sascasm tag ----------> /s

• Reply 14 of 162

You don't really need proof that iPhones are selling like mad shortly after the introduction of a new model. Take it as a given right out of the gate. 

• Reply 15 of 162
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    andre bee wrote: »

You don't know what "/s" means?
  • Reply 16 of 162

It would be interesting to know whether the amount they "stocked" for launch was limited by Apple's own guidance or manufacturing.

• Reply 17 of 162
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

It would be interesting to know whether the amount they "stocked" for launch was limited by Apple's own guidance or manufacturing.

leading up to the release there was speculation of supply issues.  No doubt Apple will sell a boatload, but no doubt (in my mind) that this go around they ACTUALLY have less supply than previous years.

• Reply 18 of 162
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    andre bee wrote: »

i call bullshit on your bullshit. the content on which you called bullshit was properly tagged and, therefore, not bullshit.
  • Reply 19 of 162
    You don't know what "/s" means?

Just wait till next week when numbers are released and then we are talking again
    iPhone 4s was sold more than 1 Million times in 24hrs so 7 million for 5 days is very realistic even more when you think about it that they do the fastest rollout ever
  • Reply 20 of 162
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love the `tech gurus of the Android world' talking smack about a blah product. Quality sells out. A choice of 50 so-so and a few very large screen phones will force OEMs to rethink it all from the ground up. Google is reaping money off your advertisement relationships. They couldn't care less if the OEMs fail. They'll quietly make sure their subsidiary, MM, starts to put out more compelling solutions.

There fixed it for you. To say that someone could care less indicates that that they have to care at least the smallest bit and I am pretty sure you meant to say that they really could not care less.