Apple blueprints offer highly detailed view of iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56

Three mics... where’s the 3rd?

1. One on the bottom as always.

2. One new one on the back.

3. There used to be one on the top—it’s gone, and now they say there’s one on the front instead. Where’s that one? Just curious for no good reason...

I’d hide it in the speaker grille, since that speaker isn’t on for speakerphone use anyway (I wouldn't think). But then, I’d hide the proxy sensor in that same slot too, for the sake of the white model only showing two “holes.” Even if it meant the speaker slot was part mesh and part not, it would still look cleaner than 3 holes. (And is the ambient light sensor really above the speaker now? That camera hole looks too small to do double duty.)

Actually, I’d put them ALL in one slightly-longer slot and not even have the camera stand out. Doesn’t matter... I’m getting black!

• Reply 22 of 56

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

3. There used to be one on the top—it’s gone, and now they say there’s one on the front instead. Where’s that one? Just curious for no good reason...

Top? You're thinking of the iPad, yeah?

• Reply 23 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

About time too.  

Imperial for life. *stereotypical modern definition gangster fist on chest and then in the air with a finger symbol*

Maybe that should be "Impeer4lyf"… 

Taking the topic further off course, I prefer metric system for most small measurements up to about a arm's length. In my environment we find that the engineers have almost entirely abandoned the centimeter and never use fractional references to meter or kilometer. In the US one might say 'one and a half miles' where as in other countries instead of one and a half kilometers they would just say two kilometers. Your mileage may varyimage. I find liter is a bit small for larger volume measurements and Fahrenheit is much more granular than Celsius making it better suited for weather temperatures. I would rather computer monitors were measured in millimeters rather than rounding up to a the nearest inch.

• Reply 24 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If you change the 5 to 4-s you can get the outer dims for the iPhone4S. I was unable to find the 3GS.

Blueprint is an antiquated term related to how they used to copy original prints. The blue was how the paper changed color when exposed to ammonia. One can google it.

So the iPhone 5 is 8.68mm taller than the 4S (about 11/32")

• Reply 25 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In every modern way this is a blueprint. It's not printed on blue paper via a special process but it doesn't have to be for the term and accepted definitions to be correct. It's been used in the non-literal sense since at least 1926.

blueprint |?blo?o?print|

noun

• a design plan or other technical drawing.

• something that acts as a plan, model, or template.

That's why this isn't a blueprint though.  A blueprint traditionally is something that will allow you to reconstruct the entire thing in question.  That's why most of the time they are many many pages long for even simple things.  

This is instead a plan drawing or a "measured drawing" of the outside of the device only.  It shows nothing but the overall dimensions and placement of exterior features and is intended as a guide for accessory makers.  It isn't a blueprint because it doesn't describe all the pieces of the iPhone, merely what it looks like on the outside. 

• Reply 26 of 56
    jay-t wrote: »
    I guess they did that for consistency reasons.

Could be, but I'm going with marketing reasons. They still list imperial standards on, at least, the US site. I think they went with metric because it sounded better to use.
    Up until now they never talked about the weight of the iPhone - and to be honest, it never was a light phone to begin with so why talk about it. Now it is. And showing in the keynote that it weighs 3.95 ounces would confuse everyone outside the US. So it had to be grams and the metric system in general. But that's just my reasoning...

It was also getting heavier with nearly every generation. Steve would have never let that happen¡ The one times it did decrease in weight it was only a 1.5% difference which isn't marketable.

iPhone - 135g
    iPhone 3G - 133g (1.5% decrease YoY)
    iPhone 3GS- 135g (1.5% increase YoY)
    iPhone 4- 137g (1.5% increase YoY)
    iPhone 4S- 140g (2.2% increase YoY)
    iPhone 5- 112g (20.0% decrease YoY)
  • Reply 27 of 56
    gazoobee wrote: »
    That's why this isn't a blueprint though.  A blueprint traditionally is something that will allow you to reconstruct the entire thing in question.  That's why most of the time they are many many pages long for even simple things.  

This is instead a plan drawing or a "measured drawing" of the outside of the device only.  It shows nothing but the overall dimensions and placement of exterior features and is intended as a guide for accessory makers.  It isn't a blueprint because it doesn't describe all the pieces of the iPhone, merely what it looks like on the outside. 

It's a bona fide blueprint for building a case or other accessories for this device. This isn't even a relatively new definition for this term.
  • Reply 28 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I’d hide it in the speaker grille, since that speaker isn’t on for speakerphone use anyway (I wouldn't think). But then, I’d hide the proxy sensor in that same slot too, for the sake of the white model only showing two “holes.” Even if it meant the speaker slot was part mesh and part not, it would still look cleaner than 3 holes. (And is the ambient light sensor really above the speaker now? That camera hole looks too small to do double duty.)

Actually, I’d put them ALL in one slightly-longer slot and not even have the camera stand out. Doesn’t matter... I’m getting black!

Totally agree.  It would be so much neater.  And at some point in the future, I'd like to see a display the turns white when powered off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Top? You're thinking of the iPad, yeah?

No, the iPhone 4/4S had a mic on the top next to the headphone jack

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Taking the topic further off course, I prefer metric system for most small measurements up to about a arm's length. In my environment we find that the engineers have almost entirely abandoned the centimeter and never use fractional references to meter or kilometer. In the US one might say 'one and a half miles' where as in other countries instead of one and a half kilometers they would just say two kilometers. Your mileage may vary. I find liter is a bit small for larger volume measurements and Fahrenheit is much more granular than Celsius making it better suited for weather temperatures. I would rather computer monitors were measured in millimeters rather than rounding up to a the nearest inch.

I agree.  Millimeters all very easy to deal with for small sizes.

I am quite familiar with these "blueprints" as a close friend has designed a few iPhone 4/4S cases with SolidWorks.  Those blueprints are VERY helpful.  He already made an iPhone 5 mockup from leaked parts and is now onto the iPad mini and 4th gen iPad.

• Reply 29 of 56

Are you guys seriously arguing over the term "blueprint"?   FFS . . . 

The picture shows "details about the iPhone 5." You can call it a "cheeseburger" and it won't change what you're seeing. 

• Reply 30 of 56
    quadra 610 wrote: »

The picture shows "details about the iPhone 5." You can call it a "cheeseburger" and it won't change what you're seeing. 

Great! Now I want a cheeseburger.... with crumbled blue cheese.

PS: Is blue cheese really blue? :D
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Chill people. We still cc: in our email, but most people these days don't even know what carbon paper is.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    undefined
  • Reply 33 of 56
    I'm not impressed by most aftermarket cases for iPhones. Most are not as well made as the iPhone itself, and look to provide only minimal protection from accidents.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Great! Now I want a cheeseburger.... with crumbled blue cheese.
    PS: Is blue cheese really blue? :D

Is the blue moon really blue?
  • Reply 35 of 56

Mixing terms I think. A measured drawing can be a blue print.

There WAS the original drawing(what ever, outline, component, assembly), typically ink on vellum. The 'prints', copies or 'blue prints' were made from the original(usually kept in the vault).

NOW, im would presume Apples is all digital 3d, a data base is the original part. And that is digital revision controlled etc.
    Outline drawings, machine data, etc is all copied from that, then prints are inkjet, pdf'd from that.

This all occurred in about the last 15-20 years.... I know an eternity. But considering mechanical drawings(rulers etc) date back to davinci .... It is quite astonding. Just wait til 3dprinting takes off... Think star Trek replicators... Amazing.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Hey, for us older tech folks it brings back found memories... Just having some fun.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Mixing terms I think. A measured drawing can be a blue print.

There WAS the original drawing(what ever, outline, component, assembly), typically ink on vellum. The 'prints', copies or 'blue prints' were made from the original(usually kept in the vault).

NOW, im would presume Apples is all digital 3d, a data base is the original part. And that is digital revision controlled etc.

Outline drawings, machine data, etc is all copied from that, then prints are inkjet, pdf'd from that.

This all occurred in about the last 15-20 years.... I know an eternity. But considering mechanical drawings(rulers etc) date back to davinci .... It is quite astonding. Just wait til 3dprinting takes off... Think star Trek replicators... Amazing.

All I know is that when I was taking classes in this stuff (admittedly a long time ago), the teacher would ask the class "what's a blueprint?"  People would say a lot of different things and then he would say the real answer, which was always that it had nothing to do with the various printing processes.  "A blueprint in a schematic drawing that would allow one to recreate the object in question, or that completely describes the object in question."  Period.  

Whatever we drew, and regardless of the draftsmanship, we would lose marks if it wasn't "complete," and by complete he meant including every detail necessary to recreate the object in question. That's what I was taught anyway.  A blueprint is a schematic that completely describes an object, thus it's use in the vernacular as being a sort of source code for the object in question. It's called a blueprint because of the printing process, but that isn't it's actual definition, at least not originally. 

These couldn't be "blueprints" therefore unless they also had the inside measurements, as well as the measurements and complete views of every individual piece.  A blueprint needn't have isometric views, but it should have all the information and measurements necessary to recreate or describe the object in question.  This is not that, AFAICS. 

• Reply 38 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jupiterone wrote: »
    Chill people. We still cc: in our email, but most people these days don't even know what carbon paper is.

The iPhone phone icon shows a handset design of a phone from many decades ago.
    All I know is that when I was taking classes in this stuff (admittedly a long time ago), the teacher would ask the class "what's a blueprint?"  People would say a lot of different things and then he would say the real answer, which was always that it had nothing to do with the various printing processes.  "A blueprint in a schematic drawing that would allow one to recreate the object in question, or that completely describes the object in question."  Period.  

Whatever we drew, and regardless of the draftsmanship, we would lose marks if it wasn't "complete," and by complete he meant including every detail necessary to recreate the object in question. That's what I was taught anyway.  A blueprint is a schematic that completely describes an object, thus it's use in the vernacular as being a sort of source code for the object in question. It's called a blueprint because of the printing process, but that isn't it's actual definition, at least not originally. 

These couldn't be "blueprints" therefore unless they also had the inside measurements, as well as the measurements and complete views of every individual piece.  A blueprint needn't have isometric views, but it should have all the information and measurements necessary to recreate or describe the object in question.  This is not that, AFAICS. 

I've never heard of the term being defined so specifically, and I had a pretty strict drafting teacher, at least where grades were concerned, he was fun otherwise.

Even in the early-90s, my high school still used the ammonia print replication process for basic drafting, hand drawn using pencil, on vellum, with drafting arms. CAD was reserved for 2nd and 3rd year drafting. I think it's all CAD now, I really haven't been back there.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I've never heard of the term being defined so specifically, and I had a pretty strict drafting teacher, at least where grades were concerned, he was fun otherwise.
    Even in the early-90s, my high school still used the ammonia print replication process for basic drafting, hand drawn using pencil, on vellum, with drafting arms. CAD was reserved for 2nd and 3rd year drafting. I think it's all CAD now, I really haven't been back there.

In his last paragraph he writes "A blueprint needn't have isometric views, but it should have all the information and measurements necessary to [...] describe the object in question." It does exactly that. It describes every detail needed for case makers.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    solipsismx wrote: »
    iPhone - 135g
    iPhone 3G - 133g (1.5% decrease YoY)
    iPhone 3GS- 135g (1.5% increase YoY)
    iPhone 4- 137g (1.5% increase YoY)
    iPhone 4S- 140g (2.2% increase YoY)
    iPhone 5- 112g (20.0% decrease YoY)

You are likely to post facts from reliable sources on the weight of the iPhone, for which I thank you. But does anyone know if a 16GB model is lighter than a 32GB or a 64GB model? Or are the amount of NAND modules, and their weight, the same but just with different capacity? The nerd in me wonders about this stuff...