iPhone 5 arrival dates improve for some Apple customers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    [...]

[SIZE=12px]You might try calling ATT and explain the situation -- they might offer an in-store pickup at an earlier date.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px]I hate the "pass-the-buck" ordering process  through the Apple Online Store -- and was fully prepared to buy unlocked iP5s... so, of course they didn't offer unlocked iP5s at this time.[/SIZE]

thanks for empathizing ;-) i wanted to buy the unlocked 5s as well.

i called apple first about the problem and, as expected, they couldn't tell me much. but they did assure me that at&t would be able to see my orders via the apple order id (which i thought odd). of course, at&t could not see the order. when i explained the situation to at&t there was zero they would/could do about it, although they did correct whatever the original issue was that caused the problem. i called apple again and the best they could do was a "maybe" as far as getting the phone out on the original schedule. (and all that means is that the rep really didn't have any idea and was just trying to make me feel better.)

steve/tim/ive have said they wouldn't do something unless they could do it better. buy at&t for cryin' out loud ... and make it better. barring that, c'mon tmo, get yer act together.
  • Reply 22 of 97

I was going to get an iPhone 5 to replace my iPhone 4s, but i'm in the UK & the LTE side will not work on my network/s of choice when they start, so I have decided to hold off on upgrading for now. :(

On the bright site at least my 4s is not even a year old, & it saves me from deciding on which colour scheme to go for. I will be able to see them both in person & decide which to go with should I eventually upgrade this year or next year, before next years model comes out. If I do wait for the next 2013 model, hopefully it will work on most our UK networks.

Why the people responsible seem to have chosen to regionalise the 4G/LTE network frequencies this time round, similar to DVD & Blu-ray regions, after more or less getting it right with the older 2G & 3G GSM systems, excluding the CDMA of course, is beyond me. :/

• Reply 23 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

<...>

Why the people responsible seem to have chosen to regionalise the 4G/LTE network frequencies this time round, similar to DVD & Blu-ray regions, after more or less getting it right with the older 2G & 3G GSM systems, excluding the CDMA of course, is beyond me. :/

The frequency allocation is under the responsibility of a "local" authority. It has no intention, I guess, to abandon this for a supranational body (in no country at all). As you know, at least in Europe (I do not know how it works in the US or elsewhere), this is also a good way for government to make money (which is interesting, these days ...). Apple tries to slalom across this jungle, and issues a worldwide product (3 different models, in fact, it seems, in the case of iPhone5) which provide(s) what Apple thinks is the best compromise.

Given this, some of the frequencies allocated by a national body may be more valuable than others (given the weight of Apple on this market, everybody wants the range supported by Apple products .. the others are de facto of very little interest (in France, for example, operators are now lobbying to get a 4G 1800 Mhz frequency supported by the iPhone5...)

Most people also forget that the frequency is one thing, but the width of the frequency range (which is what is allocated, in fact) also matters, because it is directly correlated to the available Mbps speed for the user (and given the fact that the more a government can sell frequency ranges, the more money it makes ... you see what I mean.

• Reply 24 of 97

I ordered two white AT&T 32 GB phones at 5:30 am ET and got the "two weeks / Oct 5" confirm.

Of course, Oct 5 is THREE weeks, so not sure WTF apple is talking about regarding two weeks.

• Reply 25 of 97

My confirmation email arrived at 3:53 AM EST and my order still shows 2 weeks shipping for Oct 5 delivery. I'm hoping to be near the top of the list to get my deliver date moved forward. 

• Reply 26 of 97
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

OFF:

why does the Report button appear on my own post?

You are allowed to ban yourself... it's a feature, not a bug.

It's a privilege, not a feature...

• Reply 27 of 97
    It ships in two weeks on the 28th and is delivered on the 5th which is five business days after shipping
  • Reply 28 of 97
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Just to add to the data pile, my daughter ordered a 32GB/white at 6PM Friday from Sprint's site, and their message was,

"We will do everything humanly possible to have your phone reach you on 9/21/12".

So whaddaya think?  November?

I know its a bit off-point as not AT&T, but...

• Reply 29 of 97

Ordered at 4:05 am and have a deliver date of Oct 5th. Just over and hour after presage kicks off and I gotta wait two + weeks.

• Reply 30 of 97

Thanks.

Any chance of changing to overnight shipping at this point?  Happy to pay the fee to get them faster.

• Reply 31 of 97

When I ordered at 3:00 AM CDT on Sept 14th from Apple for a 16GB AT&T iPhone 5 I got the message that they had an iPhone reserved for me and that I would receive an email later allowing me to complete the purchase process. When I ordered it still said delivery by Sept 21 so I was happy. Then I get the email from Apple saying I can complete my order through their website right at 4:01 AM CDT and it stated "To maintain the delivery priority of your iPhone order, you will need to complete your purchase by Saturday, September 15, 5:00PM PDT. If you do not complete your purchase by that time, your reservation will be canceled."

I completed my purchase and received my order confirmation at 5:53 AM CDT and it quoted me a 2 week delivery. I am hoping that it messed up and just had that because that is what it was quoting for people currently ordering. I guess I'll find out whenever my phone officially ships.

• Reply 32 of 97

I ordered at 4:16am EST.  When I ordered, delivery date said Sept 21.  Since then, it has been revised to Oct 5.

• Reply 33 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I ordered mine today at a Verizon store. Will have it one OCT 5th. w00t...

I also got a $30 discount for being a long time customer. Before anyone starts dissing Verizon, it's the only carrier that has good coverage in Nebraska.

How long have you been with Verizon my daughter can not get it until October 8th and I have been with them over 10 years and wonder if she can get the discount?

Thanks for any help

Mike

• Reply 34 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I ordered from Apple a White 64 GB AT&T at 4:00 a.m. Pacific Time and it says deliver Oct 5.

It is so frickin' hot here in SoCal 103º so I went to the Apple Store to hang out in the A/C. They were just stocking the new Ear Pods. Played around with the Mac Air and the Retina. Can't decide which I should buy. Leaning towards the Retina.

BTW @Soli I ordered the cheeseburger with crumbled Blue Cheese at Ruby's for lunch following your suggestion. Tasty!

• Reply 35 of 97
    Ugh. I'm "two weeks/Oct. 5" and ordered at 7:20 PST, 10:20 EST. I hate you guys. Still hoping it'll ship before then, but not expecting launch day.
    16GB white, AT&T

Don't feel too bad - I ordered a white 32GB at 6:30 AM EST, and I'm at Oct 5th too
  • Reply 36 of 97
    zenwaves wrote: »
    Don't feel too bad - I ordered a white 32GB at 6:30 AM EST, and I'm at Oct 5th too

My guess is Apple left some wiggle room in their estimates, telling a lot of people they would get it later than was likely, but I think I'm far enough back on the que that the Oct 5th delivery date could potentially stand. Guess we'll see. :\
  • Reply 37 of 97

I ordered white iPhone 5 64gb from the apple store and got my order confirm email at 3:28am CST.  Still saying Oct 5th for me.

• Reply 38 of 97
    I don't order mine until Friday evening. AT
  • Reply 39 of 97

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

AHA! AGAIN! THERE IT IS AGAIN!

Galley, without typing "AT&T", can you tell us what the rest of your post was going to say? 

Also, if you would, tell us what device you're using to post, and from where you posted this: either the forums proper (forums.appleinsider.com) or the main site comment section (appleinsider.com). Thanks!

• Reply 40 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

AHA! AGAIN! THERE IT IS AGAIN!

Galley, without typing "AT&T", can you tell us what the rest of your post was going to say? 

Also, if you would, tell us what device you're using to post, and from where you posted this: either the forums proper (forums.appleinsider.com) or the main site comment section (appleinsider.com). Thanks!

I think you guessed the problem there Tall. The main page most likely.The infamous ampersand killer unescaped GET string.