Connecting a PS3 to the new 27" iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    So I have been in talks with Atlona's product manager, and he said that they are currently working on a product for the 27" imac that is both a scaler and the converter in one box so you would no longer need to buy 2 seperate devices. The device will be approximately $250 and is expected to be released in January.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I still don't understand why the iMac can't do the scaling internally. Apple really crippled iMac as an external display in this way. $250 just for the adaptor (when it's available) is a bit much.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    An adaptor to do this was announced recently:

http://gizmodo.com/5427186/adapter-p...n-your-imac-27

No price or date of availability but it's one to look out for. It will probably appear in this section of their site when it comes out:

http://www.apogeeinc.net/products/av...rt_cables.aspx
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Great! I'm curious (afraid) to hear the price though! I also wonder what this adapter does with audio, will that be inputted to the iMac as well?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They'll eventually add HDMI and call it a feature.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Any news on recently released hardware to connect the PS3 to the iMac?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Any news on recently released hardware to connect the PS3 to the iMac?

I saw this on TUAW:

TUAW article on Kanex XD for iMac 27"

The product page is here:

Kanex XD for iMac 27"

• Reply 28 of 43
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    With this topic, it is important to note the difference between an adapter and a converter. Many people use the terms incorrectly. At times the distinction between the two doesn't matter. But in conversations like this it does.

Adapter = physical adapter = simple metal and plastic to change the shape of the plug and location of pins or contact plates

converter = contains electronics to change the electrical signals passing through the device. Converters are also typically physical adapters as well , but not always.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Can the iMac and PS3 be connected wirelessly? Then an adaptor or converter isn't needed. Or am I just naive? Technically challenged?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    I'm sick of this! Why doesn't apple give us Blueray and HDMI for god's sake?! Why expensive adapters? HDMI is a common standard. Blueray is almost a standard. Stop dickking us around. The usual answers to this question is: Apple knows best. Apple doesn't follow others. Go buy a PC. Not good enough! We've waited years for a SD card reader. Do we need to wait a decade for Blueray and HDMI?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Can the iMac and PS3 be connected wirelessly? Then an adaptor or converter isn't needed. Or am I just naive? Technically challenged?

Answer: C

They can be connected by either wire or wirelessly. The problem is that they don't know how to communicate with each other, no matter the transport mechanism. It would be easier to fix the wired interconnect than to come up with a completely non-standard wifi-based video connection.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

I'm sick of this! Why doesn't apple give us Blueray and HDMI for god's sake?! Why expensive adapters? HDMI is a common standard. Blueray is almost a standard. Stop dickking us around. The usual answers to this question is: Apple knows best. Apple doesn't follow others. Go buy a PC. Not good enough! We've waited years for a SD card reader. Do we need to wait a decade for Blueray and HDMI?

They must be doing it just to dick you over. Obviously, there couldn't possibly be a reason.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    emveeemvee Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I saw this on TUAW:

Great MacRonin! It seems this will be doing THE trick. I wonder if any other companies will bring similar products though. I am sure, the price could get lower!
  • Reply 34 of 43
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

In the case of the iMac 27, it probably came down to development schedules and component availability for the HDMI. For the bluray, the official line was licensing terms. I'm not sure I buy this, but that is supposedly the reason. I think the real reason is that Apple knows there's not a great Bluray player other than the PS3 ... the technology hasn't been perfected yet outside of Sony, and you know how Apple can be about making sure every detail is just so.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

In the case of the iMac 27, it probably came down to development schedules and component availability for the HDMI. For the bluray, the official line was licensing terms. I'm not sure I buy this, but that is supposedly the reason. I think the real reason is that Apple knows there's not a great Bluray player other than the PS3 ... the technology hasn't been perfected yet outside of Sony, and you know how Apple can be about making sure every detail is just so.

Unless I missed something, no official reason has ever been given for the lack of blu-ray.

Jobs has famously said "bag of hurt" in reference to blu-ray. Licensing may have even been commented on at some point during an a shareholders call.

But as far as I know, Apple has never specifically said "this is why we don't do blu-ray".
  • Reply 36 of 43
    emveeemvee Posts: 27member
    Wrapping things up it seems there are two tactically equal priced solutions out there now:

Belkin 1080p:

http://store.apple.com/us/questions/...co=MTgzOTUwMDU

Kanex 720p:

http://kanexlive.com/products/item-id-3662.html

Did anybody hear about some more attractively priced Asian version?

• Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Wrapping things up it seems there are two tactically equal priced solutions out there now:

Belkin 1080p:

http://store.apple.com/us/questions/...co=MTgzOTUwMDU

Kanex 720p:

http://kanexlive.com/products/item-id-3662.html

Did anybody hear about some more attractively priced Asian version?

I have PC window 7 and iMac G5 connected to shaw internet thorough hab with eithernet.

We aslo have PS3 connected to TV with Shawcable, they are wired.

I just got a new iMac 27” monitor and keep this one as wireless.

So quiestions are

How to share files betweeen three computers? One is wireless but two are connected with eithernet

How to connect the new iMac to internet wirelessly?

How to play music we download onto the iTunes on PC and iMacs through PS3 wirelessly?

How to watch video or movies we download onto the iTunes or desktop on PC and iMacs through PS3

on the TV screen wirelessly?

If anyone out there who can give me step by step instructions that would be fantastic.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    man... still can't deside if this is worth its asking price..

half what a PS3 costs??

come on! there has got to be a cheaper solution...
  • Reply 39 of 43
    This product ain't cheap, but, it's the one! This will support the highest resolution possible on the iMac 27. http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MI...-SWITCHER.html
  • Reply 40 of 43

is the a applicatoin that i need to download for the ps3 to work on the iMac