Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A Samsung ad revealed on Saturday pits Apple's new iPhone 5 directly against the Galaxy S III, listing the two handsets' features side-by-side in what appears to be a highly subjective comparison.

Titled "It doesn't take a genius," Samsung's new print ad obviously references Apple's widely-panned TV spots and customer support representatives, called "Geniuses." Ironically, Samsung's ad also serves to point out that the company does not offer the same level of hands-on customer care.

The main thrust of the advertisement is to illustrate the huge amount of features the Galaxy S III has over the iPhone 5, with the extremely long list of trademarked smartphone functions doubling those found on Apple's new device. Going further, most of the tech specs Samsung chose to attribute to the iPhone are trumped by its own unit.

Things get a bit tongue-in-cheek when Apple's new Lightning connector is mentioned, of course as a negative, with Samsung describing the part as "A totally different plug" versus the S III's "Standard micro USB plug.

Galaxy S III Ad

While not unexpected, the ad fails to mention the numerous enhancements coming with iOS 6, Apple's mobile operating system that some say gives the company an edge over other smartphone makers because it can tailor the software and hardware in-house. The fact that Samsung's handset uses a year-old version of Android was not mentioned.

Samsung's ad is scheduled to go to press on Sunday, though it is not clear what publications in which it will be running.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 277

Turn over to mute

So if the gyroscope goes wonky in your pocket, you miss a call from your wife telling you she loves you and that she won't be home for dinner because she's in the hospital on life support.

Direct call

Because those operators can be unfriendly and unhelpful! And have stereotypically nasal voices. Step into the future and directly call the person on the other end!

Palm Touch Mute Pause

"Symptoms of PTMP include drowsiness, lethargy, insomnia, irritability, itchy genitals, and bed wetting."

Smart Stay

"Now… stay… sta~y… goo~d phone, goo—no, no~…"

Picture in picture

OH! So THAT'S what they mean when they say "true multitasking"! They can actually see two applications at once!

And finally, 

Tilt to zoom

Because Apple has the patent on the logical way to zoom.

• Reply 2 of 277

This ad is insulting even to those who would purchase a Galaxy III.

Apple's decision to not only stay at the same width but to correctly and factually state that it is the correct size for a phone. 

The physical dimensions of the iPhone will prove to be a modern design classic. They got it spot on. 

As Apple continues to take more control over their hardware components I expect future iPhones and Apple products to pull away even quicker from the pack.

• Reply 3 of 277

That Galaxy thingie is too damn big.  It's more like one of those phablets than a phone.  I'd take the iPhone 5 for its dimensions alone.

• Reply 4 of 277
    Love the hate.
  • Reply 5 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And finally, 

Because Apple has the patent on the logical way to zoom.

Don't you have some adapters to be ordering? image

• Reply 6 of 277
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

So then, to design the Sammie it takes...what?

A dolt?

A moron?

A dingleberry???

A copycat?

• Reply 7 of 277
    Samsung just keeps on being obnoxious. (I'm not saying the iPhone 5 is the end-all be-all phone, but this ad is definitely deceptive.)

What I cannot tell is how many buyers this will fool.
  • Reply 8 of 277

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

As Apple continues to take more control over their hardware components I expect future iPhones and Apple products to pull away even quicker from the pack.

As the PowerPC was faster than its Megahertz Myth-fueled X86 competitors, Apple's homebrew chips will be work far, FAR better than anything else on the market, because Apple will be controlling the software… and TRULY controlling the hardware. Down to the architecture.

• Reply 9 of 277
    Marketing rule 101: of you're not Coke, you compare yourself to Coke.
  • Reply 10 of 277

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Don't you have some perspective to be shoveling?

Click for full size. Because I know that the trolls won't let it stand when I say there are 18 adapters there while the link says "17".

• Reply 11 of 277

Except none of Samsung's "extras" actually matter. 

Where the rubber meets the road:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

Most recent:

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

This one's interesting:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 

• Reply 12 of 277

Quote:

Because those operators can be unfriendly and unhelpful! And have stereotypically nasal voices. Step into the future and directly call the person on the other end!

Haha, nice. Actually out of all Samsung's gimmicks Direct Call is the only one useful for me. If you're in messaging thread, and texting is no longer useful, just put the phone to your and it calls them automatically. On topic, this ad seems rather desperate and fails at multiple levels. 

EDIT: There should be a rule about not spamming the same long post nearly every time you post something.(Quadra)

• Reply 13 of 277
    "Attention! Attention! We have an iPhone 5 announcement event! Damage control teams to your stations! Prepare to deploy the specs list!"
  • Reply 14 of 277
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Samdung can list all the components, elements, and contents of manure, but it's STILL manure.

• Reply 15 of 277

They are only showing a small section of the iPhone and with the screen off. I guess they don't want people to compare the Retina Display vs their HD screen. Its funny how the GS III has more visible phone showing and the iPhone is cropped more.  

• Reply 16 of 277

Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

They are only showing a small section of the iPhone and with the screen off.

Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

• Reply 17 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

EDIT: There should be a rule about not spamming the same long post nearly every time you post something.(Quadra)

Then apply the same rule to the trolls anti-Apple spamming the forum with the same misinformation and outright lies (on an Apple forum, no less.) 

If that happens, I'm cool with it.

Until then, that's tough. What I post bears repeating. Because it's *reality*, not anecdotal bullshit. 

• Reply 18 of 277
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Ahem is that a plate you are holding to your face? image

• Reply 19 of 277

Quote:

Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

It's Samsung doing it. WTF do they care about legality?

• Reply 20 of 277
    Of course they dond't , they use a crappy PenTile screen.