Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

... cheerleader for companies who achieved their success through slavish, cynical copying, and yet you congratulate them for it. From the physical design, to the interface, packaging, cables, accessories, adapters, marketing, retail- Samsung has aped every single aspect of Apple's product in hopes of achieving their success. 

This is what I call clever. Why reinvent the weel? And how?

• Reply 102 of 277
    Marketing rule 101: of you're not Coke, you compare yourself to Coke.
    I thought marketing rule 101 was,"if you're not Coke, don't acknowledge the existence of Coke to your potential customers." Why provide free advertising for the market leader?
  • Reply 103 of 277
    Here's the 'real' version of the advert.

• Reply 104 of 277
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteffenJobs View Post

This is what I call clever. Why reinvent the weel? And how?

So why is it always Apple that "invents the wheel"? They don't. They release their product vision. Instead of companies releasing their respective visions, they don't, they assume that's the "wheel" and decide to make knockoffs, hoping they can confuse some people to buy their product based on the similarity. 

• Reply 105 of 277
    It really is comical to see all of the Samsung hate going on in this thread. So much so that I thought I'd throw out some food for thought.

And don't get me wrong, Apple, in many ways, has a superior product. On many levels , the major feature advantages become a matter of personal preference over the ACTUAL advantages of said features. The giant size of the S3, for example, is more comfortable for some hands or eyes and the same goes for the smaller iPhone of any flavor.

Back to my main point, were it not for the existence of Samsung in these phone wars pushing to be "better" than the iPhone, Apple would never have released the iPhone 4. I still see people with 3GS's and are perfectly happy with it and its performance. Apple's ability to produce is unquestioned, when they want to make something new and innovative, they do it like no other company. Where they "fail" in that regard is if their formula is stable, they will leave it where it lies and innovate when necessary to be number 1.

So to all the haters out there... Samsung and all of its faults make Apple who they are by rushing products to market and getting Apple off its comfortable laurels. You will enjoy an iPad mini because there are companies who dared to be smaller and now Apple is copying them... You'll have turn by turn because Apple felt it was about time to add a feature that droids had from day one. You will pay less for this iPhone because Androids are getting cheaper. You will use Samsung memory chips because Apple can't produce its own. Right now you're praying that gorilla glass will make a comeback because your last phone screen broke - while Android users enjoy the results of Steve Jobs provoking Corning to do something greater.

All of this is an ecosystem. Your hate for Samsung is your love for Apple, but most of you fail to realize that without competitors... and I mean REAL competitors... Apple is just another fruit - sweet until it grows old. Samsung forces your orchards to produce the best money can buy :-)
  • Reply 106 of 277
    Also, where would their marketing people get a working iPhone 5 that is fully assembled? It's either a pre-announcement prop, a photoshop of something official, or (outside chance) the real thing.

Uhhh...it's Samsung...they just made a copy
  • Reply 107 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So why is it always Apple that "invents the wheel"? They don't. They release their product vision. Instead of companies releasing their respective visions, they don't, they assume that's the "wheel" and decide to make knockoffs, hoping they can confuse some people to buy their product based on the similarity. 

Do you seriously believe that mighty Samsung's success in mobiles phones is due to the fact that people buy them by accident, because they think they are iPhones?

I am not saying such people do not exist, but certainly not in numbers large enough to explain mighty Samsung's success.

As for me, I am glad Note and S3 do not look like iPhones at all, as I think the iPhone is too ugly and tired looking, and too small. 

And the new black iPhone5 looks like a weapon (gun). Ugly! (But I guess Americans like guns and things which look like guns...)

• Reply 108 of 277

Apple is Naboo, Samsung is the Trade Federation (because of manufacturing), and the Emperor puppeteering the feeble, subservient Federation is Google.
    The thing that bothers me about this analogy is that it probably means the lawyers are the Jedi.
  • Reply 109 of 277

Don't put that up to your head! Big ass phone whats next shoulder straps like those old school mobile phones

• Reply 110 of 277
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler755 View Post

It really is comical to see all of the Samsung hate going on in this thread. So much so that I thought I'd throw out some food for thought.

And don't get me wrong, Apple, in many ways, has a superior product. On many levels , the major feature advantages become a matter of personal preference over the ACTUAL advantages of said features. The giant size of the S3, for example, is more comfortable for some hands or eyes and the same goes for the smaller iPhone of any flavor.

Back to my main point, were it not for the existence of Samsung in these phone wars pushing to be "better" than the iPhone, Apple would never have released the iPhone 4. I still see people with 3GS's and are perfectly happy with it and its performance. Apple's ability to produce is unquestioned, when they want to make something new and innovative, they do it like no other company. Where they "fail" in that regard is if their formula is stable, they will leave it where it lies and innovate when necessary to be number 1.

So to all the haters out there... Samsung and all of its faults make Apple who they are by rushing products to market and getting Apple off its comfortable laurels. You will enjoy an iPad mini because there are companies who dared to be smaller and now Apple is copying them... You'll have turn by turn because Apple felt it was about time to add a feature that droids had from day one. You will pay less for this iPhone because Androids are getting cheaper. You will use Samsung memory chips because Apple can't produce its own. Right now you're praying that gorilla glass will make a comeback because your last phone screen broke - while Android users enjoy the results of Steve Jobs provoking Corning to do something greater.

All of this is an ecosystem. Your hate for Samsung is your love for Apple, but most of you fail to realize that without competitors... and I mean REAL competitors... Apple is just another fruit - sweet until it grows old. Samsung forces your orchards to produce the best money can buy :-)

That sounds nice and all, but the problem is that Apple's history doesn't provide a shred of evidence to support your premise. I don't recall a time when Apple became 'stale' (minus when Steve Jobs left) because of decreased competition. Was Apple facing competition when it released the original iPhone? No, it wasn't. How about the iPad? No, it wasn't. Those were incredible, innovative, industry changing products, and were created and released irrelevant of competition. Your statement that Apple would have "never released the iPhone 4" if it wasn't for Samsung, is just your random theory, and pretty absurd, since there are no indications whatsoever that this would have been the case. Apple has mostly ignored what the competition is doing through most of its history and its innovative products, which is a good thing. I don't recall a single time where Apple felt 'was on its comfortable laurels' in its entire history. Why don't you enlighten us? When did Apple monopolize an industry then stagnate because of lack of competition? I think Apple has shown itself to be one of the few companies out there that is always willing to challenge itself and radically improve its products, even by cannibalizing  its own sales, regardless of what everyone else is doing. All of Apple's most iconic products were not bourne out of competition, and Apple was not being attacked on those fronts. The iPod, iPhone, and iPad were all Apple entering new markets, and creating the best product-by far- in that market. In none of these situations did "competition" play a factor, because there was none. Your theory is nice and all, but really is baseless. Steve Jobs )and his team) wasn't the type to sit back and rest on his laurels, no matter what the industry was doing. 

Competition seems to influence Apple very little, as evidenced in the newest iPhone, and screen size. If Apple cared about "catching up" to the competition (as everyone defines it) it would have bowed to the pressure and made a flashy, massive screen like all other flagship phones from other companies. But it didn't. It continues to ignore what the competition is doing, and instead designs products based on its own strong convictions. 

• Reply 111 of 277

• Reply 112 of 277
    randroid wrote: »
    Quickest trip to the block list yet. The quality of trolls we are getting these days is really slipping when they fail to challenge or even irritate.
  • Reply 113 of 277

Quote:

Here's the 'real' version of the advert.

LL

Lol cute.

• Reply 114 of 277
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    shen wrote: »
    To be fair, none of the Samsung adapters are but well enough to last till your next phone anyway...
    ...which with samsungs phone quality was generally about 14 weeks.

My iPad 2 wall charger died just after 12 months. Never had a problem with Samsung adapters.
  • Reply 115 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randroid View Post

for everyone that owns a powercase or has a dock basically now useless without a converter if it even works or fits

So?  I'm fairly certain apple is the only company that has updated a phone model and kept it's shape for at least one generation... and I'm sure you likely bitched about that too.
  • Reply 116 of 277
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    elehcdn wrote: »
    You mean that the Android OS actually ships with a mail program?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

Of course google approved devices ship with a mail program, and what I said is unlike iOS they don't need a new version of Android to arrive for the mail app to be upgraded.
  • Reply 117 of 277
    Lol Samsung just paid full ads and gave iPhone 5 1/2 the advert space for free
  • Reply 118 of 277
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

They do not get it. The secret is the interface, and there Apple is the master. As with the iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac. Once you try them, you do not want competitors even for free!

• Reply 119 of 277
    "The next big thing is already here." should read...
    The next too big of a paperweight is still there because the phone was turned over in your pocket and it didn't ring.

790 hours of standby?
    It's not standby if the phone is turned off.

Their iPhone 5 is a 4/4s with some photoshop showing on the lower right side of the phone.
  • Reply 120 of 277

The funny thing is, that, by such (supposedly) feature to feature, component to component "comparison", Samsung's smartphone Division somehow criticizes Samsung's Electronic components division ...