Apple blueprints offer highly detailed view of iPhone 5

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    philboogie wrote: »
    You are likely to post facts from reliable sources on the weight of the iPhone, for which I thank you. But does anyone know if a 16GB model is lighter than a 32GB or a 64GB model? Or are the amount of NAND modules, and their weight, the same but just with different capacity? The nerd in me wonders about this stuff...

I think it's effectively negligible. Previous iPhones use single chip NAND flashes, I don't think this is any different. I expect the difference to be a fraction of a gram at most. Higher capacity might have more flakes of silicon layered and stitched within the same package.
  • Reply 42 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Hey, for us older tech folks it brings back found memories... Just having some fun.

• Reply 43 of 56
    philboogie wrote: »
    You are likely to post facts from reliable sources on the weight of the iPhone, for which I thank you. But does anyone know if a 16GB model is lighter than a 32GB or a 64GB model? Or are the amount of NAND modules, and their weight, the same but just with different capacity? The nerd in me wonders about this stuff...

Adding to what JeffDM stated I seem to recall that the biggest different with the NAND capacities are its performance, with the lower-capacity NAND being faster than the higher-capacity NAND, albeit not to a degree that would be significant. I recall AnandTech having these values in their throughout review.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    I find the whole blueprint argument hilarious.... regardless of whether this is a blueprint or not, it's an antiquated term that would get you laughed at in any modern engineering office.

See the second sentence here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueprint

It's a [I][B]drawing[/B][/I] ;)
  • Reply 45 of 56

With all due respect to those commenting on my comment, let me repeat: the term blueprint is rarely (never?) used in the mechanical design industry. Engineers and designers do not ask each other for blueprints. When we submit a job to the machine shop, they ask for either CAD files or drawings, NOT blueprints. In decades of engineering, I've never heard the term blueprint except when discussing architecture, and quite rarely even then. I'm sure the odd person may use this term in the context of mechanical design, but some people also think a MacBook Pro is painted silver.

Those who insist blueprint is "correct" have simply revealed that their engineering background is scant. Those who claim they are learning the term blueprint in place of drawing in schools are either fabulists or attending the wrong school.

• Reply 46 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

I find the whole blueprint argument hilarious.... regardless of whether this is a blueprint or not, it's an antiquated term that would get you laughed at in any modern engineering office.

See the second sentence here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueprint

It's a drawing image

Exactly.

• Reply 47 of 56
    harbinger wrote: »
    With all due respect to those commenting on my comment, let me repeat: the term blueprint is rarely (never?) used in the mechanical design industry. Engineers and designers do not ask each other for blueprints. When we submit a job to the machine shop, they ask for either CAD files or drawings, NOT blueprints. In decades of engineering, I've never heard the term blueprint except when discussing architecture, and quite rarely even then. I'm sure the odd person may use this term in the context of mechanical design, but some people also think a MacBook Pro is painted silver.

Those who insist blueprint is "correct" have simply revealed that their engineering background is scant. Those who claim they are learning the term blueprint in place of drawing in schools are either fabulists or attending the wrong school.

You not hearing it used outside of an very narrow field of use does not mean that it doesn't exist or that it's incorrect. The fact remains, as proven immediately with a simple search for its etymology, that the usage far from the narrow, elitist view you wish to prescribe. As previous note, do you think that CC and BCC are correct because they no longer to carbon paper? That is how language works and you use words every day that you never once consider as wrong despite their origins being vastly more different than the world long ago adopting blueprint to mean "something that acts as a plan, model, or template."
  • Reply 48 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You not hearing it used outside of an very narrow field of use does not mean that it doesn't exist or that it's incorrect. The fact remains, as proven immediately with a simple search for its etymology, that the usage far from the narrow, elitist view you wish to prescribe. As previous note, do you think that CC and BCC are correct because they no longer to carbon paper? That is how language works and you use words every day that you never once consider as wrong despite their origins being vastly more different than the world long ago adopting blueprint to mean "something that acts as a plan, model, or template."

So you are using the results of Google to support your arguments? Not only that, you exaggerate what I stated - I never mentioned the term did not exist. You are better than this.

This is not an elitist view - engineers and designers do NOT use the term blueprint, and have not done so for a long time. I am doing you a favor by telling you this.

• Reply 49 of 56
    So you are using the results of Google to support your arguments? Not only that, you exaggerate what I stated - I never mentioned the term did not exist. You are better than this.
    It exists as acceptable usage in the way used in the article. Is Google no long an acceptable starting point for locating digital evidence as reliable data? (Can you google something or just search for it using Google?!). The etymology sites I used were actually books in my etymology folder that I opened up at once. That's how I was able to get a reliable date so quickly after you post. If you want something more through you can check out the OED Online. You can register for only $29.95 a month or $295 a year.
    [This is not an elitist view - engineers and designers do NOT use the term blueprint, and have not done so for a long time. I am doing you a favor by telling you this.

It very much an elitist view to say that you can't use an accepted word with an accepted definition unless you use within a very narrow field of use. In the voice of Morbo, "LANGUAGE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!"

Bottom line is language is filled with terms that change their meaning. Something quickly and sometimes slowly but to claim that language should be static for everyone because a certain description seems better for you is elitist. If you said that the term is used correctly but that within architecture the meaning is far more structured that would not be elitist.

It's like when people say that when you put salt on ice it melts, when that is technically not the process that occurs as melting is defined by the inclusion of heat. It dissolves. That said, not once have I ever corrected someone for saying melting when it's far outside a field that would require them to know the difference.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I am doing you a favor by telling you this.

What favor is this, exactly? That they not be wrong on the finer points of a bit of jargon?

Everyone, don't forget: http://xkcd.com/386/

Also: http://xkcd.com/1108/
  • Reply 51 of 56
    bmason1270 wrote: »
    Is this a engineering website or is it a site dedicated to Apple enthusiasts? Everyone understood what was meant by the headline. But thanks for the answer to a question that nobody asked.

I believe one is supposed to respond to a thanks with "your welcome".

Also, I was responding to a post and not to the original article. Please put me on your ignore list.

To everyone else who actually put forth information, I thank you! I truly did learn a lot from this thread.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    vadania wrote: »
    I believe one is supposed to respond to a thanks with "your welcome".
    Also, I was responding to a post and not to the original article. Please put me on your ignore list.
    To everyone else who actually put forth information, I thank you! I truly did learn a lot from this thread.

You responded to a post that got started because every other poster on this friggin forum needs to nitpick stupid little details to simply prove either how clever they are or how anal retentive they are.

The debate of what is a blueprint or not might be one of the dumbest debates since the great "What is America?" debate of late July.

The self important egos on this board are without equal.

Count yourself among them. I don't care enough about you to even bothering licking ignore.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    The [B]bmason1270[/B] edition of today's topic is: [I]What is America's blueprint for success?[/I] :[SIZE=3]D[/SIZE]
  • Reply 54 of 56
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The bmason1270 edition of today's topic is: What is America's blueprint for success? :D

Hahaha :)
  • Reply 55 of 56

Who actually blue prints and mechanical drawing, lost its original meaning. Although called "mechanical drawing, it is actually done by hand. With the arrival of new season you will see oodles of Ladies Short Black Leather Jackets designs with fancy lining, classy and heavy fabrics, but there are some styles in cwmalls.com like High Heels Nubuck Shoes are all time favorite in the run of fashion and street fashion.

• Reply 56 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

By the way, did you guys notice that (apart from the screen size), Apple moved to the metric system to indicate, during the keynote, the iPhone weight and thickness ? (this has been noticed by one of my own country website, but this , I guess should have been more noticeable for you).

I noticed and welcome the change. The US is the only industrialised nation that does not use the metric system as standard while the UK is the only industrialised nation that uses a hybrid of the imperial and metric systems. The decimalization of the metric system is certainly easier to use for engineering.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that the design of the speaker on the iPhone 5 is in the golden ratio? There are two rows of eight holes on one side and two rows of five holes on the other.