Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad

Comments

• Reply 201 of 277
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Yipes - was in a Radio Shack earlier today - did not look what phone it was - but some 4.5" or whatever screen - picked the thing up - and thought sweet zombie jesus - no way in the world I could operate that thing with just one hand.

A very simple solution to making the screen appear to be larger - move it close to your eyes.

Seriously though - I have something like 20 million pixels on my desk so I do understand how more screen area, provided it has good resolution, can be put to good use - I just don't see how that device would be easy to carry around all day every day.
  • Reply 202 of 277
    dypdyp Posts: 33member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

This ad is insulting even to those who would purchase a Galaxy III.

Apple's decision to not only stay at the same width but to correctly and factually state that it is the correct size for a phone. 

The physical dimensions of the iPhone will prove to be a modern design classic. They got it spot on. 

As Apple continues to take more control over their hardware components I expect future iPhones and Apple products to pull away even quicker from the pack.

So because Apple says they prefer their width, this is the correct size for a phone?  Who says?

You speak without facts but just from a Fanboy perspective.

• Reply 203 of 277
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Let's see - lack of security updates. Lack of updates to fix serious bugs in the OS (or are you going to pretend that no Android version has ever had a serious bug?). Lack of new features (so, once again, are you pretending that no Android OS upgrade adds new features or not?).
    I don't know - nor is it relevant. The fact is that Apple offers updates for every iOS device for years while many Android devices will NEVER have an OS update available.

Unlike you, I don't pretend. The big thing is, how many people are effected by this, it is no where near as high as you try to make out.

So, once again, please choose your argument. Which is it?
    1. Android OS upgrades are useless and don't have any value for the average user.
    or
    2. The lack of availability of Android upgrades is a serious problem for the user.
    Which is it?
    It's really amazing that you would even try to argue this point. It's a serious problem with Android and even Android advocates acknowledge it. Why can't you?

Why should I choose between two extreme statements you are making? I have never said the lack of upgrades was not an issue, I said that it isn't as big an issue that you try to make out
  • Reply 204 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't take a genius to know that within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, Apple will most likely be announcing the insane number of pre-orders they received for the iPhone 5.

It also doesn't take a genius to recognize that Android is complete crap and no amount of desperate, poorly made ads will ever change that.

So basically, the mlilions of Android users aren't as smart as you to recognize they are using a crappy product.  Nice.

• Reply 205 of 277

So because Apple says they prefer their width, this is the correct size for a phone?  Who says?

You speak without facts but just from a Fanboy perspective.

• Reply 206 of 277
    Other than, of course, the entire point of this discussion.
    The 3GS will be upgradeable to iOS 6. That means you get all the upgraded apps, all the security fixes, and most of the new features (all the ones the old hardware can handle).
    With Android, you get none of that. And, many current apps won't even run on the older versions of Android.

No all, and not most. And again, please list these "many current apps" that won't even run on gingerbread?
  • Reply 207 of 277
    chia wrote: »

Once, twice and three times:

[SIZE=14px]Google Chrome[/SIZE]

Excellent, one app.
    Your stance implies that there's no advantage in upgrading the Android OS on a handset, after all you've tried to compel people that Android apps that run in 4.0 also work in 2.3.

nope, that isn't what I said, stop trying to put words into my mouth.
    So why does Google bother to create new versions of Android?

Well I suppose there would be a number of reasons. But it is the OEM/network that controls the updates to phones, not Google
    Are you saying that Android software can't take advantage of new features in new versions of Android?

No, I am not saying that.
    I suspect the salespeople will say it comes with "the latest Android 4.1" for the 4.1 phones and merely say "Android" for the older models.  That way nobody is misled, but then they won't be fully informed either unless the consumer has the awareness to prompt specifically about OS version.

I don't know sorry, haven't talked to a salesperson about phones for years. But the shops I have been into have the Android version listed on signs.
    Oh yes there is:
    a 3GS purchaser will have the current iOS 6 when it's released this week.

The Android 2.2 purchaser will be lucky to get an update to last year's version 3, much less the current version 4.1

Why would you want to upgrade a 2.2 phone, to the tablet only Android 3? The upgrade path for phones is from 2.x to 4.x, you bypass 3 altogether.

As for the 3GS, it is missing so many of the iOS 6 features they should have called it 5.9, after all, according to the Apple iOS 6 page the 3GS is missing from a lot of the features list.
  • Reply 208 of 277
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Samsung has lost all credibility!

Shameless Samsung, I thought they lost the copycat war and are set to pay damages to Apple. I also thought Samsung lost to Apple again through another judge who ruled that Apple did not infringe on their patents.

• Reply 209 of 277
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Nice Rebuttal! image

• Reply 210 of 277

Originally Posted by dyp View Post

So basically, the mlilions of Android users aren't as smart as you to recognize they are using a crappy product.  Nice.

Do you… really think that Windows is good simply because people are forced use it?

• Reply 211 of 277
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Except none of Samsung's "extras" actually matter. 

Where the rubber meets the road:

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 

That is cute and I commend you for your enthusiasm... but most if not all of those surveys seem to be comparing Apple (with one high-end smartphone a year) with likes of Nokia, Samsung... producing also bunch of old-school (like Nokia E series) and cheap (like Samsung Galaxy Mini and likes)... so it is pretty much pointless.

I'd gladly read surveys comparing specific models. It would paint a bit different picture. iPhone might still end up on top, but difference in satisfaction would be nowhere that big. It is not really that hard to find surveys showing some different trends:

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-found-once-again-to-have-higher-customer-satisfaction-rates-than-ios-android/
  • Reply 212 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I'd gladly read surveys comparing specific models. It would paint a bit different picture. iPhone might still end up on top, but difference in satisfaction would be nowhere that big.

Then feel free to provide them. Until then, the only data we have says that iOS is miles ahead of Android.

'd gladly read surveys comparing specific models. It would paint a bit different picture. iPhone might still end up on top, but difference in It is not really that hard to find surveys showing some different trends:
    http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-found-once-again-to-have-higher-customer-satisfaction-rates-than-ios-android/[/quote]

Let's see. Questionable results that differ from the results of every other organization and which were derived by some questionable methodology that has never been reported?

No thanks, I'll go by all the other published reports that are confirmed by hundreds of reviews which show iOS to be superior.
    jfanning wrote: »
    No all, and not most. And again, please list these "many current apps" that won't even run on gingerbread?

It doesn't matter. If there are any, then lack of upgrades is a problem for Android. Not to mention the lack of security patches and bug fixes.
    jfanning wrote: »
    Why should I choose between two extreme statements you are making? I have never said the lack of upgrades was not an issue, I said that it isn't as big an issue that you try to make out

Actually, you did say it was an issue. You said that someone stuck with an Android phone running 2.2 was in the same boat as a 3GS owner. You keep saying that users don't lose anything if they can't upgrade Android. It's obvious to everyone who isn't a paid Android shill that you're wrong.

Oh, and btw, even Android fan sites agree that the upgrade mess on Android is a nightmare:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/why-you-ll-never-have-latest-version-android
  • Reply 213 of 277
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The alleged superiority of Android due to additional features is so infinitesimally small that the average user would not even know or care. iPhone users do not switch to Android unless they were really just Apple haters to begin with who wanted to secretly try out iOS. Android shills have not ever convinced any authentic iPhone user to switch to Android. The inverse is that many, many Android users have switched to iPhone without any outside persuasion whatsoever, they just recognized the superiority of iOS and switched on their own.

• Reply 214 of 277
    Yeah, we have to get over Samsung posting a blatantly false and misleading ad while you have to get over the fact that you're defending a convicted criminal organization.
    Sounds reasonable.

false? not really...misleading? yes.

Also..please learn to read...I do not defend Samsung...look beyond your fanboism.
  • Reply 215 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    false? not really...misleading? yes.

Yes, it is false. They claim that the SIII has a quad core processor and 2 GB of RAM. Those features are not available on the same phones. Some have quad core and some have 2 GB of RAM. None have both.

Furthermore, their own web site says that the talk time is 8 hours, not the 22 hours claimed in the ad.

Finally, it is incorrect to use Apple's trademarks without attribution.
  • Reply 216 of 277
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You are misinterpreting the issue. It's about using shady tactics to use technical true but false claims. Those same people — except maybe a couple from this forum — would also be the first to point out where they think Apple is in the wrong or making missteps. Just read the recent headphone or skeumorphism threads to see those pro-Apple AI regulars talking about the aspects of Apple's products they clearly don't like.

And they are pounced on by the cultists as being iHaters or whatever clever term.
  • Reply 217 of 277
    dyp wrote: »

I wouldn't go as far as him to say that they're not smart (although I am sure that must be true in some cases), but I see only really two possibilities: one, they can't afford the iPhone and its plans, or two, the iPhone is not available on their network (e.g., as with TMobile or China Mobile).
  • Reply 218 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

And they are pounced on by the cultists as being iHaters or whatever clever term.

Speaking of cultists and pouncing, remind us again why you spend so much time on this site? Oh, that's right... what's the word... oh, yes, hypocrite.

• Reply 219 of 277
    cpsro wrote: »
    Oh, don't pay us any attention while you tweak your Andud device for the umpteen millionth time. We're just anticipating the next shoe to fall, be it Apple's severance of all business ties with Samsung, another legal victory for Apple, another loss for Samsung or Google, a drop-dead damages award, etc. All well-deserved outcomes for Samsung.

I don't think the future you long for is the future that'll come to pass.
    I flagged you for what you were thinking.

hah
    Speaking of mindless Android shills, I notice that Googleguy hasn't made it back after Samsung got hammered by the CA court. or is he one of the new trolls with a different name?

He's been the most reasonable and fact backed non Apple drooling at the mouth fanatic on this site, you just don't like him because he can disagree with you and back it up. You rely on exaggerations and downright lies or purposeful ignorance to convey whatever points you think you make...you'd be a good politician, he'd be a great debater.
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Well, his sneering insults are less annoying than the shrill whining he had been engaged in lately, so, at least there's that to his latest post.

enjoy your yesmanisms.
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152618/samsung-takes-aim-at-iphone-5-in-new-print-ad/160#post_2191051"]It doesn't take a genius to know that within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, Apple will most likely be announcing the insane number of pre-orders they received for the iPhone 5.

It also doesn't take a genius to recognize that Android is complete crap and no amount of desperate, poorly made ads will ever change that.

Without Android competing with Apple I have a feeling your probably worthless life would probably be even more worthless than it already is...Android probably gives you purpose...you have something to hate while you're probably kicking starving babies for not getting a job.

note: added the probablys to avoid having made a direct inflammatory statement.
    dyp wrote: »

Apple ]['s life is validated by two things...the device in his pocket, and the operating system he hates...pay him no mind.
  • Reply 220 of 277
    Love it 18 adapters lol