First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Customers who were among the first to preorder the iPhone 5 from Apple have begun seeing updates that their orders are shipping from China.

While some iPhone 5 orders are now shipping, the packages are still not scheduled to be delivered until Friday, Sept. 21, which is the product's launch date.

One delivery update from UPS provided to AppleInsider shows that the shipment began its transit on Sunday, Sept. 16. The delivery is now on its way from ZhengZhou, China.

UPS

Orders at Apple's website are still listed as "preparing for shipment," but some have been able to track their package by using a reference number, such as a cell phone number tied to the order. By searching the reference number, it can be discovered that the product has in fact already shipped.

In years past, a handful of iPhone preorders have arrived earlier than the product launch date. However, almost all orders typically arrive on the advertised launch date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    Heeeeee so exciiteeeed for miiiine!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 88
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Thank you Foxconn Workers.  You have made the people of the United States happy.

• Reply 3 of 88
    I got the email from apple at 3:20 Easter time, I still have no tracking information, anyone else?
  • Reply 4 of 88
    Mine shipped!! got the tracking number too!
  • Reply 5 of 88

Got my order confirmation email at 3:07am EDT - no order status update for me yet.

The order in which the updates go out may have more to do with where the order's being shipped to than when the order was placed - Apple may be timing the shipments to make sure the orders arrive on the 21st.  

Mine is being delivered to NYC, so the total transit time for my order may be less for me than for someone more off the beaten path.

• Reply 6 of 88

Well, let us know when you get your tracking number.

• Reply 7 of 88
    No email yet from Apple for me but if yours has shipped go to Ups.com and under "Track by Reference" and fill out date, your zip. Under "Shipment Reference" put in your phone number you have you attached to your Apple Store account. I checked mine and it shipped! Has the same arrival info, times, etc as the image in the story. Has Friday the 21st delivery as expected.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    No iPhone 5 for me :( still 1 year left on my iPhone 4 contract (stupid 3 year contract). Question is, do I upgrade to an iPhone 5 next September or wait for the possible iPhone 6?

It's so far away!
  • Reply 9 of 88

3 year contract??????

• Reply 10 of 88
    Someone explain me please, why things like iPhone can't be assembled on automated factories, here in the US. It's like in the "Campaign" movie, Apple could save a lot on shipment costs. :-)
  • Reply 11 of 88
    3 year contract??????

Yup, that is the standard contract length in Canada. Im definitely only doing 2 next time (if they let me) it just means that the phone will be $399 instead of $199
  • Reply 12 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

No iPhone 5 for me image still 1 year left on my iPhone 4 contract (stupid 3 year contract). Question is, do I upgrade to an iPhone 5 next September or wait for the possible iPhone 6?

It's so far away!

Try to call and ask for an earlier upgrade, or something like that.

• Reply 13 of 88
    timbit wrote: »
    No iPhone 5 for me :( still 1 year left on my iPhone 4 contract (stupid 3 year contract). Question is, do I upgrade to an iPhone 5 next September or wait for the possible iPhone 6?
    It's so far away!

It'll probably be a 5S next year which is still exciting IMO. I'm expecting a full mobile wallet system to be rolled out next year as well as some other bells and whistles that might be 5S only.

If next month there are already rumors of an iPhone 6 for next year don't believe. Expect a 5S and you won't be disappointed.
  • Reply 14 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

No iPhone 5 for me image still 1 year left on my iPhone 4 contract (stupid 3 year contract). Question is, do I upgrade to an iPhone 5 next September or wait for the possible iPhone 6?

It's so far away!

Seeing as the 7th gen iPhone will probably be released around the same time next year, I think it will be a fairly easy decision for you when the time comes.

• Reply 15 of 88
    I got my confirmation 4:51AM EDT. Says delivers Oct 5th :(

Hopefully it gets pushed up!
  • Reply 16 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone explain me please, why things like iPhone can't be assembled on automated factories, here in the US. It's like in the "Campaign" movie, Apple could save a lot on shipment costs. :-)

Actually, the cost of labor in China is so low it's cheaper to assemble them by hand.  Besides, most of the supply chain is located in Asia and the shipping costs would be much higher to ship some parts to the US and back.  It's also faster this way.

• Reply 17 of 88

Thank you PSIRIX for sharing the info! So UPS will be the delivery carrier and not FedEx?

• Reply 18 of 88

iPhone 4/4s was delivered by UPS.

• Reply 19 of 88

Yes...it is 3 year contract in Canada

• Reply 20 of 88

Yes.....It is 3 year contract in Canada