Purported iPhone 5 benchmark score doubles fastest iDevices, outperforms Android's best

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazweeja View Post

So last week when the current iPhone was clocking pathetic scores in this benchmark, the numbers didn't matter because it as all about the user experience. Right now, it's all about the numbers and how fast the new iPhone is. In a month or two, when the first Qualcomm S4 Pro phones are released and smash these scores, the numbers won't matter again because it will be all about the user experience. You can't have it both ways - either the benchmarks mean something and the iPhone is slower than other phones for 10 months of every 12-month release cycle or they don't.

LOL the iphone 4S was by far the fastest phone out there (UI). we do not care about processor numbers, we care about specs like UI speed (the ones that matter and contribute to user experience).

the iphone has always been the best and fastest.

are you hurt useless fandroid?

• Reply 22 of 145
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Galaxy S3 Geekbench scores vary.  Maybe need to test them in similar settings and applications?

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Galaxy+S+III

• Reply 23 of 145

Those numbers seem bogus. I'll wait for some real numbers after the iPhone has actually been released.

True or not though you'd still be stuck running only what Apple allows you. The great wall of Apple is a real pain in the ass.

• Reply 24 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazweeja View Post

So last week when the current iPhone was clocking pathetic scores in this benchmark, the numbers didn't matter because it as all about the user experience. Right now, it's all about the numbers and how fast the new iPhone is. In a month or two, when the first Qualcomm S4 Pro phones are released and smash these scores, the numbers won't matter again because it will be all about the user experience. You can't have it both ways - either the benchmarks mean something and the iPhone is slower than other phones for 10 months of every 12-month release cycle or they don't.

What you don't get is this: Android can not equal Apple's smooth UI even with higher benchmark scores because the Android OS requires too much overhead. Android devices NEED the high scores for basic operation; with Apple higher scores mean better graphics and running apps that that Android can only dream of running. We are celebrating higher scores because it means the upper limits of an experience have stretched out even further... you can celebrate Android speed because your scrolling is finally less jerky.

• Reply 25 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by eAbyss View Post

Those numbers seem bogus. I'll wait for some real numbers after the iPhone has actually been released.

True or not though you'd still be stuck running only what Apple allows you. The great wall of Apple is a real pain in the ass.

The "great wall" is a pain that I can't feel as the applications available are endless, but I'm sure you enjoy your malware...

• Reply 26 of 145
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

LOL the iphone 4S was by far the fastest phone out there (UI).

have a look at a single core lumia 800, now that's a fast UI, with live tiles as well and not static icons...

• Reply 27 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by eAbyss View Post

can you run infinity blade?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

have a look at a single core lumia 800, now that's a fast UI, with live tiles as well and not static icons...

the 4s is faster.

• Reply 28 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Galaxy S3 Geekbench scores vary.  Maybe need to test them in similar settings and applications?

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Galaxy+S+III

Since the Galaxy S3 benchmarks at your link vary so much, it could be due to background setting and tasks that the users may not be aware of when the phone was submitted. I think if you look at how the tests for this story were done, you'd see they attempted to control the variables as best as possible.

• Reply 29 of 145

Seems Samsung is watching the news. The Galaxy SIII score was updated to 1628 (from 1560 few hours earlier) :)

• Reply 30 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

...now, if only people would buy them...

• Reply 31 of 145
    I'm going to post here for posterity sake, and because the other threads regarding the so-called "ho-hum" iPhone 5 upgrade were so full of worthless trolling:

1) iPhone 5s, 6, 7....probably for the next few years, will be this same form factor.Through it's current iconic and perfect form, the iPhone will continue for the next few generations to be the very best mobile "phone" money can buy. Period.

2) the hardware inside of the iPhone will be continually upgraded, and chips like NFC added only if the market is ready to embrace the technology the addition will provide (see LTE).

3) as camera, chip, connectivity, charging, battery, tech advances... and it fits in the very least the iPhone 5 form factor... it will then be added. You will not see a bigger or heavier phone from Apple just to include inductive charging. [I]BTW: Apple owns a number of patents for IC that they will surely use if the time and advantage is right.[/I]

4) the biggest advances will come from iOS and the further merging of OSX and iOS and as chip-tech advances allow. However that time just might be now (see below).

5) I definitely see other devices being released from Apple in between the size of the iPhone and the iPad. And it's those future devices, that Apple will gladly allow to cannibalize the iPhone if so be it.... HOWEVER.... and here's the "Big Point" for the win.....

6) you know that Lightning connector that a lot of people are poo-pooing and complaining about? Well that innocuous but HUGE change, is going to be what connects iDevices to iMacs, Macbooks... and specifically the Apple monitors of the future.

I thoroughly expect the next update to Apple's line of monitors, to include not only Airplay on board (monitors), but also to be the complete extension hub through the Lightning connector. This will allow a "dumb screen" approach to connecting trackpads, mice, keyboards, Wacom tablets, etc... conserving power, and also charging the device at the same time. Once you pull it out of the monitor, you're still able to control it over the BT 4.0 connection, as well as use the monitor as... get this... a TV screen.

If my predictions seem to far "out" there... I would suggest that interested readers take a look at the number of patents Apple has been granted for just what I'm relaying above: [URL=http://www.patentlyapple.com/.services/blog/6a0120a5580826970c0120a5580ebf970c/search?filter.q=iphone+dock]PatentlyApple[/URL]
  • Reply 32 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenartist View Post

Seems Samsung is watching the news. The Galaxy SIII score was updated to 1628 (from 1560 few hours earlier) :)

I love it!!  Ask Samsung for a score and they ask you, "What number do you want??"

• Reply 33 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm going to post here for posterity sake, and because the other threads regarding the so-called "ho-hum" iPhone 5 upgrade were so full of worthless trolling:

1) iPhone 5s, 6, 7....probably for the next few years, will be this same form factor.Through it's current iconic and perfect form, the iPhone will continue for the next few generations to be the very best mobile "phone" money can buy. Period.

2) the hardware inside of the iPhone will be continually upgraded, and chips like NFC added only if the market is ready to embrace the technology the addition will provide (see LTE).

3) as camera, chip, connectivity, charging, battery, tech advances... and it fits in the very least the iPhone 5 form factor... it will then be added. You will not see a bigger or heavier phone from Apple just to include inductive charging. BTW: Apple owns a number of patents for IC that they will surely use if the time and advantage is right.

4) the biggest advances will come from iOS and the further merging of OSX and iOS and as chip-tech advances allow. However that time just might be now (see below).

5) I definitely see other devices being released from Apple in between the size of the iPhone and the iPad. And it's those future devices, that Apple will gladly allow to cannibalize the iPhone if so be it.... HOWEVER.... and here's the "Big Point" for the win.....

6) you know that Lightning connector that a lot of people are poo-pooing and complaining about? Well that innocuous but HUGE change, is going to be what connects iDevices to iMacs, Macbooks... and specifically the Apple monitors of the future.

I thoroughly expect the next update to Apple's line of monitors, to include not only Airplay on board (monitors), but also to be the complete extension hub through the Lightning connector. This will allow a "dumb screen" approach to connecting trackpads, mice, keyboards, Wacom tablets, etc... conserving power, and also charging the device at the same time. Once you pull it out of the monitor, you're still able to control it over the BT 4.0 connection, as well as use the monitor as... get this... a TV screen.

If my predictions seem to far "out" there... I would suggest that interested readers take a look at the number of patents Apple has been granted for just what I'm relaying above: PatentlyApple

While I don't have any idea of what Apple has in the works, I will bet they do have plans for this connector that, by the time it becomes apparent, it will be too late for the competition to make easy corrections.

• Reply 34 of 145
    Here's another thought:

I bet if Apple took Android and put it on any of their hardware, starting with the 3gs... it would be [B]twice as fast[/B] as any other Android device on the planet.

Apple's hardware engineers are the very best on the planet. THEY have no competition.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Nope, it doesn't beat every Android device. Galaxy S3 with Samsung Exynos 4412 1400 MHz Quad core has 1628 score. The Asus Nexus 7 with NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L 1300 MHz Quad core has 1604 score. It is quite a feat by A6, however, since it is just a Dual core chip but manages to compete with most of the present incarnation of Quad core chips out there. Unfortunately, per usual, A6 will fall behind some upcoming chips already waiting in the wings and to be used within the next couple of months; thus, Iphone will be behind the curve again. The spec war is something that Apple can never win, neither with Macs nor with IOS devices. SJ knew this, so he'd rather rely on Apple's strength, i.e. ecosystem and user experiences, plus lots and lots of RDF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If real and accurate, then that score is incredible! It beats out every Android device in existence, including quad core CPUs and various other Android junk clocked at much higher rates! image

• Reply 36 of 145
    Considering it's the USB connector, the one that Apple championed and was the first to use on all of their products,which they're now throwing under the bus with all of their devices upgraded with Thunderbolt and Lightning... yes.. it will take a year or longer(?) for OEM's both desktop and mobile to realize that once again... they've been run over(!).
  • Reply 37 of 145
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    just a question...do you think a lot of us Android fans (not users, fans) LONG for an iPhone yet somehow are incapable of getting one of the most easily accessible devices ever?

Why the **** wouldn't you use something you're a fan of? And if you don't, how exactly can you be a fan of it, which implies liking it greatly based on your experience with it? Am I missing something? Most irrational thing I've ever read.
  • Reply 38 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Since the Galaxy S3 benchmarks at your link vary so much, it could be due to background setting and tasks that the users may not be aware of when the phone was submitted. I think if you look at how the tests for this story were done, you'd see they attempted to control the variables as best as possible.

it is related to mods and overclocking. yes, i know how pathetic that is.

• Reply 39 of 145
    mcrs wrote: »
    Nope, it doesn't beat every Android device. Galaxy S3 with Samsung Exynos 4412 1400 MHz Quad core has 1628 score. The Asus Nexus 7 with NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L 1300 MHz Quad core has 1604 score. It is quite a feat by A6, however, since it is just a Dual core chip but manages to compete with most of the present incarnation of Quad core chips out there. Unfortunately, per usual, A6 will fall behind some upcoming chips already waiting in the wings and to be used within the next couple of months; thus, Iphone will be behind the curve again. The spec war is something that Apple can never win, neither with Macs nor with IOS devices. SJ knew this, so he'd rather rely on Apple's strength, i.e. ecosystem and user experiences, plus lots and lots of RDF.

Considering that even Google admitted with their release of Jelly Bean, that the UI and UX most definitely needed refinement and needed to be smoother... well what does Apple's RDF have to do with it? Apple's devices have all run smoothly since at least the iP3.

iOS 6 and the new hardware just adds to what was always the smoothest and most responsive hardware on the market... even if it was out-spec'ed. Those SIII's are not faster in everyday use than even the iPhone 4s... so again, no RDF from Apple is needed. It's just plain fact at this point, and Google is "trying' to address that fact.

Or do you know more than your beloved Android engineers too now?
  • Reply 40 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

What's impressive with besting a Galaxy S3 with 0.8%, while that S3 has been out for 4 months, or a tegra 3 device with 0.1% while that same tegra 3 has been out for almost a year ?

What's impressive is that Apple has managed to top the Android devices' performance, using a CPU which has much lower core count and clock speed. That can only bode well for power usage and hence battery life. The mobile game is about efficiency, not just pure performance - otherwise we'd all just have an i7 in our phones and forget about it!