Apple announces iPhone 5 preorders top 2 million in first 24 hours

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Preorders of the iPhone 5 surpassed 2 million in its first 24 hours of availability, more than doubling last year's record set by the iPhone 4S, Apple announced on Monday.

Demand for the iPhone 5 exceeds supply, though Apple said the "majority of preorders" will be delivered to customers on Sept. 21. New orders are scheduled to arrive in October.

"iPhone 5 preorders have shattered the previous record held by iPhone 4S and the customer response to iPhone 5 has been phenomenal," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iPhone 5 is the best iPhone yet, the most beautiful product we?ve ever made, and we hope customers love it as much as we do."

iPhone 5

The iPhone 5 will be available at Apple's 356 U.S. retail stores beginning at 8 a.m. local time on Friday. Customers who were unable to preorder in time can attempt to obtain Apple's latest handset at a retail store.

The iPhone 5 is also available through carriers AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon wireless, and will also be sold at select Best Buy, RadioShack, Target and Walmart Stores, as well as Apple Authorized resellers.

Apple will launch the iPhone 5 in a total of 9 countries this Friday, making it the fastest launch ever for one of the company's new devices. A week later, the iPhone 5 will debut in 22 more countries, making a total of 31 before the end of Apple's September quarter.

By December, the iPhone 5 will be available in 100 countries and on 240 carriers. Earlier Monday, Apple's carrier partner AT&T also said it had seen record preorders for the iPhone 5, but did not disclose any specific figures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    WOW!

Glad I own some Apple stock!
  • Reply 2 of 71
    My two iPhones pre-orders are truly one in a million.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Simply amazing (but not surprising) — go AAPL!
  • Reply 4 of 71

Dayamn

• Reply 5 of 71
    Remember jus a couple days when some were claiming Apple couldn't have sold that many because they didn't release numbers instantly?
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Is this higher or lower than analysts predictions? I am looking to 700.
  • Reply 7 of 71

So much for those suggesting that Apple deliberately staged this order surge!

• Reply 8 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And just imagine what sales would be if Apple hadn't constrained supply to create demand! /s
  • Reply 9 of 71
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Remember jus a couple days when some were claiming Apple couldn't have sold that many because they didn't release numbers instantly?

'Some'? That's all just about every one of the hundreds of dunderheads posting on sites like theverge.com, cnet.com, and Engadget.com were claiming.

What a hoot!
  • Reply 10 of 71
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

My carrier doesn't accept pre-orders but has said that they'll have plenty on Friday... should be a lot of iPhone 5's unpacked that day!

• Reply 11 of 71
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I also remember that quite clearly.

Can we get some thoughts from those naysayers now?
  • Reply 12 of 71
    'Some'? That's all just about every one of the hundreds of dunderheads posting on sites like theverge.com, cnet.com, and Engadget.com were claiming.
    What a hoot!

In my defense I was only using AI as a reference in their Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand article.

Here is how I responded on that thread...
    solipsismx wrote:
    macrulez wrote:
    Apparently the difference this time is that they're not disclosing numbers:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-blown-away-by-iphone-pre-orders-again-2012-9
    You're jumping to conclusions awfully fast. I seem to recall that Apple didn't give a number immediately after the day-one pre-orders were set but did so a day later (or days later if there was a weekend in the way).

It's almost like Apple hasn't fallen apart in the year + since Steve stepped down as CEO. Note that this is the 2nd iPhone event Steve did not attend and the 5th one in total that Steve has not been with the company. It doesn't seem as though it has been that many events that Cook has hosted but I counted.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Even though the iPhone 5 is launching in two more places - Singapore and Hong Kong - than the iPhone 4s did, those two territories together couldn't account for the 1 million increase. Seems like there was a lot of pent up demand.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    AAPL $699 in premarket.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    rogifan wrote: »
    And just imagine what sales would be if Apple hadn't constrained supply to create demand! /s

LOLZ !!!!
  • Reply 16 of 71
    gtr wrote: »
    I also remember that quite clearly.
    Can we get some thoughts from those naysayers now?

I don't read most other tech sites these days* but on AnandTech they do have the usual commenters complaining about Apple is failing for not providing enough units for every first week pre-order (despite selling millions on day one) and even claiming Apple is not selling units to generate buzz, which has to be the most absurd thing I've ever read about business for a company with an overwhelmingly dominate mindshare.

* I deleted my RSS and only added ones I was dying to know about. 3 months later I still only have AI, MR, and AT, and I never read the forums for MR. Probably should add MondayNote.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    ddarko wrote: »
    Even though the iPhone 5 is launching in two more places - Singapore and Hong Kong - than the iPhone 4s did, those two territories together couldn't account for the 1 million increase. Seems like there was a lot of pent up demand.

I still contend that the timeframe we've seen of leaks pointing to a production ramp up months ago, and the addition of countries for first and second week sales is good enough circumstantial evidence to deduce that Apple has more units to sell this year than they've had over any other year.
  • Reply 18 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

IIRC, Apple always releases sales numbers after the weekend.

• Reply 19 of 71

I guess some of the tech pundits were right the iPhone 5 will be a dull, uninteresting upgrade and few will notice it. Oh snap,

• Reply 20 of 71
    I've been reading stories around the net about how Apple doesn't have the same magic without Jobs but if you drill down to the detail, they are saying much the same stuff as when Steve was around. The reality distortion field is now in the heads of the detractors.