Customers queue up for iPhone 5 outside Apple's Fifth Ave store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With four days to go before the iPhone 5 becomes available, customers have begun lining up outside Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City in what has become an annual tradition.

Fifth Ave

Around 10 people were lined up outside the Apple Store on Monday to become among the first to own the new iPhone 5. Customers will be able to purchase Apple's latest handset at 8 a.m. local time this Friday.

Most of the customers who were in line Monday morning were hoping to gain attention for websites they were promoting, according to AppleInsider reader Ryan. A reporter from CBS New York program "The Couch" was also present to interview those waiting.

Fifth Ave

Demand for the new iPhone is at a fever pitch, with the handset on pace to become the fastest selling smartphone ever. Apple announced earlier Monday that preorders for the iPhone 5 reached 2 million in its first 24 hours of availability, more than doubling that of its predecessor, the iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 5 will officially go on sale to the public this Friday. With the initial batch of preorders sold out, waiting in line outside of an Apple retail store may be the only way some customers can get an iPhone 5 on its launch date.

Fifth Ave

Last year, sales of the iPhone 4S reached 4 million over the launch weekend, making it the fastest selling iPhone yet. The iPhone 5 is expected to handily beat that number, as it has already achieved a record number of preorders, and will debut in a total of 9 countries, making it Apple's largest launch ever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    DAMN! Already! Maybe I should get my ass over there.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    And how many are waiting outside the stores for Samsung launches? That is the difference.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    These 'people waiting in line' are goofy. I guess trying to 'plug' whatever they have to sell is worth the 'line wait'.

I purchased a '4' on a preorder, kept it for 3 1/2 weeks until I couldn't stand the terrible reception/dropped calls anymore. I returned it, got my money back and waited for the next iPhone.

I did preorder the 4S because I saw Apple had fixed the antenna problems (with the dual antenna's) and since the 4S was more of a refresh than a totally new design (iPhone 4), I figured it was a safe gamble.

But I'll wait until all you folks provide me with some feedback on the 5 before I make that plunge. I don't need any unwanted surprises.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    It's not like concert tickets where you might not get one if you don't camp out, or you want better seats.

The iPhone 5 will be here next week, month, etc. I don't see the reason to do it, personally, but, if you find it fun to wait in line, then so be it.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    There's no reason to wait in line for Samsung products. The next big thing is only a few days away!
  • Reply 6 of 82
    I wonder if/when Woz will turn up ?

It would be interesting to know how Apple fans feel about him, in light of his latest comments.
  • Reply 7 of 82

Even I have to admit that this is a bit silly.....

But I suppose, if there are media willing to play it up and plaster your picture around the globe,why not.

• Reply 8 of 82
    icoco3 wrote: »
    And how many are waiting outside the stores for Samsung launches? That is the difference.

Doesn't Samsung advertise that you don't have to wait in line for their devices? I'm surprised they don't advertise "Now with a protective layer of dust to help keep ultraviolate radiation from discoloring your decorative iPhone I mean Galaxy box."

gustav wrote: »
    It's not like concert tickets where you might not get one if you don't camp out, or you want better seats.
    The iPhone 5 will be here next week, month, etc. I don't see the reason to do it, personally, but, if you find it fun to wait in line, then so be it.

I plan on heading to the store come Friday. I'll gladly wait in line but anything over an hour and I'll try my luck another day.

I can't imaging these people are there for 5 days. How do they eat? How do they use the bathroom? How to the recharge their devices? It just seems boring. Even at that store iN NYC come friday you might wait several hours but it'll be a moving line and surely not in a line that lasts for 5 days.

Aren't they in school or have jobs to go to? I guess if you are a programmer or someone else who can work remotely you could at least be productive but surely not as productive as you could otherwise be.

PS: I hear iFixit will be sending someone to New Zealand again this year to buy early and then do the teardown before it's on sale or delivered to the rest of the world. Let's hoe this year the guy remembers to tell the NZ press who he works for. (edit: Make that Australia. NZ doesn't get it until the 28th.)
  • Reply 9 of 82

Naaaaah...

wouldnt want to do that.  I have lived 40 years without an iphone 5, another couple of weeks is not going to kill me.

But where is my damn ipod touch.

• Reply 10 of 82

WTH? New York City doesn't have pre-order or a Radio Shack to run up in on Friday - no one will think to go to there. Silly people, go to class or work or get out and look for work - at the least help your mom clean the house.

• Reply 11 of 82
    ...at the least help your mom clean the house.

I'm thinking their moms are just happy they are out of the house for a change. :D
  • Reply 12 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Even I have to admit that this is a bit silly.....

But I suppose, if there are media willing to play it up and plaster your picture around the globe,why not.

If that were the case, I'd want to look better than a hobo.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Doesn't Samsung advertise that you don't have to wait in line for their devices? I'm surprised they don't advertise "Now with a protective layer of dust to help keep ultraviolate radiation from discoloring your decorative iPhone I mean Galaxy box."
    I plan on heading to the store come Friday. I'll gladly wait in line but anything over an hour and I'll try my luck another day.
    I can't imaging these people are there for 5 days. How do they eat? How do they use the bathroom? How to the recharge their devices? It just seems boring. Even at that store iN NYC come friday you might wait several hours but it'll be a moving line and surely not in a line that lasts for 5 days.
    Aren't they in school or have jobs to go to? I guess if you are a programmer or someone else who can work remotely you could at least be productive but surely not as productive as you could otherwise be.

I certainly wouldn't want to leave my belongings unattended to take care of basic needs. I'm not sure what the agenda is here, I've never waited in line for a phone, the folks in a white or brown panel vans deliver things to me. Also, I see a forecast that calls for overnight lows of 55 (F), storms and showers this week.
  • Reply 13 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I wonder if/when Woz will turn up ?

It would be interesting to know how Apple fans feel about him, in light of his latest comments.

Jobs without Woz = successful

Woz without Jobs = ???

• Reply 14 of 82

WHAT do they do for bathrooms, food, recharging their electronics, etc.......?  Anybody know or anybody been there?

• Reply 15 of 82
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

If all you know of the Fifth Avenue Apple store is from images such as these, you might be unaware that one of the most fabulous locations in NYC is just over your shoulder.  Of course, Central Park and at this time of year, for sure, an exciting place to be in its own right!

Hoping to secure an iP5 on Friday in a very different location... without queuing lol!

All the best.

• Reply 16 of 82
    2 million handsets at an average $700/unit - $1.4 billion revenue. In 2 days! That will equal to about $700 million in profit.
    Lets take the first weekend of sales at the same rate (2x iPhone4S) - 8 million handsets. $5.6 billion revenue, $2.8 billion in profit.

That's just a prediction, but Apple might be able to EARN (profit) $3.5 billion dollars during the iPhone 5 launch. WOW.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    I love the picture of them all toiling away on their macbooks...classic!
  • Reply 18 of 82

This is the difference between Samsung and Apple. Apple products are really very adorable. Design with great finesse unlike Samsung!

• Reply 19 of 82
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    A message to any Android user that's been spouting off any mis information.

Wah, wah, wah, wahhhhhhhh...

So, how come Android users are lined up when Samscum announces THEIR latest and greatest smartphone and how come these sales reps that sell S III's are given a $25 Spiff check during the beginning of the product release, rather than later? Could it be that that's the only way they can entice these sales reps to go around pushing product down people's throats?

Maybe next time, they won't be so smug. Friggin Iceholes.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I've always found ridiculous queuing for days for a product.
    It would be funny if the NYPD came up and forced them to move since they are blocking the way.