Apple announces iPhone 5 preorders top 2 million in first 24 hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    24 iPhones per second for 24 straight hours... Not too shabby... @ apx 700 ( sell price plus subsidy) works out to 1.4B in revenue in a single day just in iPhone 5 preorders... Oh and tack on at least 60m for dock adapters.

Congrats Apple!
  • Reply 22 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Apple only sells 2 million pre-orders. Disappointment in Cupertino without Jobs" /s
  • Reply 23 of 71
    The "majority"? I preordered my two 4 hours after the sales started and mine is saying delivered Oct. 5th.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    davegee wrote: »
    24 iPhones per second for 24 straight hours... Not too shabby... @ apx 700 ( sell price plus subsidy) works out to 1.4B in revenue in a single day just in iPhone 5 preorders... Oh and tack on at least 60m for dock adapters.
    Congrats Apple!

... Or more than 200 Tons of a product priced more than 5 $ a gram ...
  • Reply 25 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple's 250 US retail stores.
  • Reply 26 of 71

I got my pre order in at around 8:40am UK time on Friday - upgrading from an iPhone 4... 

Everybody I work with who has an iPhone 4 which is now out of contract has either preordered or are planning to line up at a store on Friday morning...

• Reply 27 of 71
    "It doesn't take a genius..." :D
  • Reply 28 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I'm getting mine the 29th. Still haven't decided on a colour.

• Reply 29 of 71
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Just out of curiosity, what was the best selling android phone? I ordered my 2 just after midnight!!

• Reply 30 of 71

WOW!  Go Apple go!  Great news.

• Reply 31 of 71
    If this news alone itritates all the bib-dribblers to distraction, it's a great way to start the week.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Hmmm, define 'plenty'.
  • Reply 33 of 71

Amazing! Congratulations Apple!! I hope they take Samsung to the Grave!

• Reply 34 of 71

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

LMAO

Once again, Apple's made critics look like complete dumbasses. 

Then again, all Dan Lyons needs for that is Dan Lyons. 

• Reply 35 of 71

So Google, Samsung, Motorola eat your heart out. I bet you want Apple's problems don;t you? 

Got mine 29 minutes into the sale. 64GB, Black on AT&T. I have confirmation that I get mine on 9/21.  Cannot wait to get my grubby sticky hands on it. :-)

So the "anal"yst's were I guess wrong after all. It was not as dull or as boring or as other BS they predicted. 

I love the fact that these morons are so freaking wrong. I am laughing my ass all the way to retirement on my apple stock.

JDS

• Reply 36 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    So the 4S had 1 million preorders sold out in 1 day but sold 4 million in the first 3 days.
    The iPhone 5 has had 2 million preorders sold out in 1 hour. If they've managed to double capacity, that should make a decent first 3 days.
    The Android fans are running around talking about how the Galaxy S3 preorders were 9 million but the total sales for the first 100 days were 20 million. That's lower than the 4S sales every quarter this year, which reportedly made up about 90% of iPhone orders.
  • Reply 37 of 71

Does this figure include operators pre-orders ? (or just orders through AppleStore) ?

• Reply 38 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't read most other tech sites these days* but on AnandTech they do have the usual commenters complaining about Apple is failing for not providing enough units for every first week pre-order (despite selling millions on day one) and even claiming Apple is not selling units to generate buzz, which has to be the most absurd thing I've ever read about business for a company with an overwhelmingly dominate mindshare.
    * I deleted my RSS and only added ones I was dying to know about. 3 months later I still only have AI, MR, and AT, and I never read the forums for MR. Probably should add MondayNote.

No doubt tese are the same people who bash the hell out of Apple at the drop of a hat,anytime there's a report of long hours/overtime at Foxconn. Yet, they will freak out and foam at the mouth if somehow they don't receive the new phone the second it's released, claiming that Apple is 'limiting' supply...Hypocrites.
  • Reply 39 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

LMAO

Once again, Apple's made critics look like complete dumbasses. 

Then again, all Dan Lyons needs for that is Dan Lyons. 

"This is what happens when a company is too cheap to invest in research and development. Did you know that Apple spends far less on R&D than any of its rivals - a paltry 2% of revenues, versus 14% for Google and Microsoft?"

- this is what happens when the mental hospitals are full. Poor guy.

• Reply 40 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

"This is what happens when a company is too cheap to invest in research and development. Did you know that Apple spends far less on R&D than any of its rivals - a paltry 2% of revenues, versus 14% for Google and Microsoft?"

- this is what happens when the mental hospitals are full. Poor guy.

14% of their profit is probably less than 2% of Apples haha