Third-party Lightning to 30-pin adapters, new iPods appear on Amazon

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Ahead of this week's iPhone 5 launch, third-party adapters for Apple's new Lightning connector have begun to appear online. In addition, the new iPod touch and nano can also be preordered from Amazon.

As of Monday, resellers on Amazon were offering a pair of new Lightning to 30-pin adapters made by third parties. The $17.95 Nanotch adapter features a male Lightning port on one end, with a female legacy 30-pin device port on the other. The two are connected by a 20-centimeter cord.

Cables
iTronz USB Sync Data/Charging adapter. It features a male Lightning plug on one side, with a female 30-pin port on the other, and the two are connected by a single solid plastic piece rather than a wire.

Apple sells its own first-party Lightning to 30-pin adapter and cable, but those accessories quickly sold out once they went on sale late last week.

In addition, as of Monday, Amazon began taking direct preorders for Apple's updated iPod lineup. Available for purchase are the new fifth-generation iPod touch, the seventh-generation iPod nano with multi-touch display, and the fifth-generation iPod shuffle.

The new iPod lineup is advertised to ship anywhere between two and five weeks from now. Apple has said its new iPods will ship in October. The latest iPod touch and iPod nano, along with the iPhone 5, use the new Lightning port, which is 80 percent smaller than the legacy 30-pin dock connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    The question is how well these third party adapters will handle analog audio output for things like speaker docks that don't use digital audio. The Apple adapter has the electronics to provide analog audio output which presumably results in high quality, low noise sound. These aftermarket adapters might not do it as well and in some cases, will probably just be pin converters that don't do it at all.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    So who's gonna be the first brave soul to try one?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Not the only one ...

http://www.amazon.com/iTronz-Charging-Lightning-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B009BPLVAI/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347904170

All Pre-orders though for delivery at the beginning of October ...
  • Reply 4 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Not the only one ...

http://www.amazon.com/iTronz-Charging-Lightning-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B009BPLVAI/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347904170

All Pre-orders though for delivery at the beginning of October ...

That's the same one from the article.

• Reply 5 of 37

Who knows how good it will be.

All I want is an adapter to help utilize the 3 different chargers I use.

• Reply 6 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple sells its own first-party Lightning to 30-pin adapter and cable, but those accessories quickly sold out once they went on sale late last week.

Only they didn't, because their availability has always said "October," from the moment they showed up in the online store. The USB adapters, on the other hand, DID sell out, and now show availability two-three weeks out. You're just going to double down on this incorrect report, aren't you AI?

• Reply 7 of 37

Is it just me, or did they just photoshop the Apple adapter?

• Reply 8 of 37
    My experience is that most third party iPod / iPhone cables and adapters, even the branded ones sold at Best Buy with the official Made for iPod / iPhone logos are inferior or in some cases, piss poor quality. However, the existence of these non-Apple adapters should quell the "Apple is greedy" trolling. On the second thought, it probably won't.
  • Reply 9 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen61 View Post

Is it just me, or did they just photoshop the Apple adapter?

I agree. They're nearly identical images.

• Reply 10 of 37
    These adapters -- from Apple or third-parties alike -- would be a lot more interesting if they offered some way to securely support the iPhone. Using them in conjunction with a docking station will be precarious at best without some form of support.

I can imagine a lot of broken adapter "tabs" and damaged iPhones in the next couple of months.
  • Reply 11 of 37

Glad to see.  I really don't want to be spending hundreds of dollars replacing power cables.

Sure, if you need to pass high quality audio, then buy the Apple adapter.  If you just want to charge your phone at work, then I'll take the cheaper, crappier option.

• Reply 12 of 37

I ordred one - simply don't want to wait until i can hook up my iPohne 5 to may car - i may keep it as a spare once i get the official apple product. Shame apple could not have foreseen the demand for the adapters better.

I see on eONE star review on amazon by someone who simply won't try it - pathetic review - I know it was not left by anyone on these threads....

• Reply 13 of 37
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woofpup View Post

The question is how well these third party adapters will handle analog audio output for things like speaker docks that don't use digital audio. The Apple adapter has the electronics to provide analog audio output which presumably results in high quality, low noise sound. These aftermarket adapters might not do it as well and in some cases, will probably just be pin converters that don't do it at all.

Answer is, they won't, but neither will Apple's. 

The real question is, will they support digital audio out, since it looks like the reason for the cost of the adaptor is a DAOC chip to create the audio-out.

Frankly, a knock-off without that chip is fine for me, since all I want is an adaptor to go on a few cables.

• Reply 14 of 37

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cables

Oh, yeah. I RE~ALLY trust a company that just took the Apple adapter and slapped their name on it using PREVIEW. Yeah, I RE~ALLY believe that not only is this a legitimate company but also that they have made actual adapters. Oh, yeah.

Frigging Amazon.

• Reply 15 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by essex sound lab View Post

These adapters -- from Apple or third-parties alike -- would be a lot more interesting if they offered some way to securely support the iPhone. Using them in conjunction with a docking station will be precarious at best without some form of support.

I can imagine a lot of broken adapter "tabs" and damaged iPhones in the next couple of months.

This is exactly why I ordered the .2m version. I'm hesitant to order 3rd party so quickly without an established track record and reviews, and also hesitant to risk damaging the new phone or adapter (since both are incredibly expensive) by using an adapter with no 'give' built in to it.

• Reply 16 of 37
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

How is it possible? How could a company with Apple's design sense do it? Every one of the new iPod nano colors looks sick.

• Reply 17 of 37
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My experience is that most third party iPod / iPhone cables and adapters, even the branded ones sold at Best Buy with the official Made for iPod / iPhone logos are inferior or in some cases, piss poor quality. However, the existence of these non-Apple adapters should quell the "Apple is greedy" trolling. On the second thought, it probably won't.

If Apple isn't greedy, the guys running the place should be fired.  They're a profit making company, it's their job to be greedy.  Just like the rest of us... I don't see many people turning down raises or not giving their Bonus Card at the grocery.

• Reply 18 of 37

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Every one of the new iPod nano colors looks sick.

Now's that the new-agey way of saying it, like, "Theez eye-pod cullas look sick-nasty!" or are you expressing contempt for the pastels? I think you'd have to see them in person to judge that over a Photoshop render.

• Reply 19 of 37

Oh, yeah. I RE~ALLY trust a company that just took the Apple adapter and slapped their name on it using PREVIEW. Yeah, I RE~ALLY believe that not only is this a legitimate company but also that they have made actual adapters. Oh, yeah.

Frigging Amazon.

They didn't even center the name that was shopped on the adapter.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    woofpup wrote: »

I'm under the impression (from the keynote) that the electronics for converting the signal type happens on the device itself which is how they are able to have so few pins over the previous model. I think what the adapter would need is to then know what kind of signal is being pushed out so it knows which pins to use. Although I guess it could just send it out multiple pins and the unused one do nothing for the connected accessory.