Apple on pace to sell 1 billion iOS devices by 2015

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The upward trajectory of iOS device sales has Apple on pace to reach one billion sold by late 2014 or early 2015, according to a new analysis.

The projection was published on Monday by Horace Dediu of Asymco, who has projected iOS device sales through iTunes account growth. Apple announced at its iPhone 5 event last week that currently it has 435 million total active iTunes accounts.

Dediu calculated that Apple is currently adding about 12 million new iTunes accounts every month. He found that this growth pattern mirrors corresponding growth in iOS usage.

Though he admitted the numbers are "not a very precise forecast," they do suggest that Apple will sell a total of one billion iOS devices ? iPhone, iPad and iPod touch ? by late 2014 or early 2015.

Growth

Last week, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed that his company has sold a total of 400 million iOS devices through the month of June. Apple's march to 400 million iOS devices sold to date began in mid-2007 with the launch of the first iPhone.

If the trends tracked by Dediu prove accurate, that would mean Apple will more than double the total number of iOS devices sold in the next two years. While the first 400 million sales took five years to achieve, current growth trends suggest Apple will sell another 600 million by early 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Total number of iTunes accounts does not correlate to "iDevices" sold. He might get the number close, but there are also people with no devices and only an iTunes account.

• Reply 2 of 16
    Jobs famously said that that you can't make things that people want because by the time they are ready then they'll want something else. And it now looks like this is Apple's ultra long term strategy that began in 1999: To rid the world of viruses.

The Windows user appears to not know that what they really want is to be virtually virus free. This is why Mac OS X was not the run away success it should have been.

So in order to rectify this situation and inject some sanity into the world Apple created the iPod, iPhone and iPad, products that were so insanely great that they would drag the world, kicking and screaming into the use of an intuitive and essentially for all practical purposes, a virus free operating system.

When one billion ios devices have been sold this vision will have begun to be realised. 2020 won't be like 1984.
  • Reply 3 of 16

Not bad for overpriced niche market gadgets, uh ?   /s

• Reply 4 of 16
    This is something I've never understood about the numbers that Apple quotes in heir keynotes, is it total number of iOS devices ever sold since 2007? Or those running actively? By actively, I mean checking for app updates through the store, or using safari, etc...and regardless of which version of iOS?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Just remember, boys and girls, these are just selling because of 'marketing'.

;-)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

This is something I've never understood about the numbers that Apple quotes in heir keynotes, is it total number of iOS devices ever sold since 2007? Or those running actively? By actively, I mean checking for app updates through the store, or using safari, etc...and regardless of which version of iOS?

If you watch the announcement video Tim clearly states "400 millionth iOS device sold".

@11:30

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2012/
  • Reply 7 of 16

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Just remember, boys and girls, these are just selling because of 'marketing'.

Hey! Thanks, I'd forgotten that old schtick. It's now number #19 on the list.

• Reply 7 of 16
    Anybody knows the growth pace of Android devices?
  • Reply 9 of 16

Originally Posted by RitaSoetanto View Post

Anybody knows the growth pace of Android devices?

1,000,000,000,000 activations per day.

• Reply 10 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Total number of iTunes accounts does not correlate to "iDevices" sold. He might get the number close, but there are also people with no devices and only an iTunes account.

There are also people will multiple iDevices and a singular iTunes account. I know I've had 2 (soon to be three) iPhones and an iPad and my parents have two iPhones and iPads giving us seven iDevices between 2 accounts

• Reply 11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

There are also people will multiple iDevices and a singular iTunes account. I know I've had 2 (soon to be three) iPhones and an iPad and my parents have two iPhones and iPads giving us seven iDevices between 2 accounts

True. I have 4 "devices" on my account alone.

• Reply 12 of 16
    ombra2105 wrote: »

Sold.
  • Reply 13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it has to be 10x that amount... easy.

• Reply 14 of 16

^^
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I have have had 2 iTouches, 3 soon to be 4 iPhones, and 1 iPad, and only 1 iTunes account.
  • Reply 15 of 16

Apparently Apple is the next McDonalds and iOS is the next Big Mac.

• Reply 16 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And those 1,000,000,000,000 represents 0.02% of total web usage, for some strange, unexplained reason.