Rumor: Suspect 'iPad mini' mockup allegedly shows front plate design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by archurban View Post

plus, ipad mini price will be steep. look at ipod touch 5G. it starts $299. so if it would be $399 as basic model, it is also non-sense because high end ipod touch model is $399. there is no advantage of buying over a big ipad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Anyway if all these are legit, I hope the price isn't higher than $300 as some here have postulated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

by shitty you mean having the best screen, the best processor, the best GPU, the best UI speed (by a gigantic margin), the best 4g browsing battery life, the best looks, being the lightest and thinnest?

It's smaller than the iPad, but bigger than the iPod Touch.  But, it will probably have a non-retina display to save weight.  So I can see it selling for $349 to start and go up from there. There is undoubtedly going to be some overlap in price between the iPod Touch, iPad Mini and the iPad, we see the same thing in the Macbooks and the MB Airs.  We saw the same thing when Apple released the first iPod Mini in '04.  It was marginally less expensive but was tons lighter and smaller.

I don't think it will sport the A6.  We already saw in the iPod Touch that it doesn't either...but we'll have to wait and see on that.  I think it's also safe to say it won't have any cellular connectivity.  Those chips cost money and Apple will probably keep the Gen 1 focused on light, thin and inexpensive.

The marketing strategy will be that lightness, thinness and a bigger display come with a cost.  Its a premium over the iPod Touch because the display is so much bigger, but it has to be non-retina due to making it so much lighter and thinner than the iPad.  It's less expensive as the current iPads because of the screen and lesser technology boosts from the current iPad, but it's not that much cheaper because it's so much lighter and smaller, just like the iPod Mini to the then iPod.

I think that's precisely how Apple is going to market it.  It's not brain surgery here, historically that's how Apple has handled cross-over pricing.  You want it smaller, Ok, but it's not going to be as good as the bigger/better and it will cost marginally less, but ohhhhh....is it ever more beautiful and thinner and lighter!

• Reply 22 of 54
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

If mass production is to be believed, then the new iPad mini has to start at $199/$249.

Nobody is going to buy a 7" tablet at $399, not even an iPad.

Exactly, Apple will never release a $399 7" device, it has to be $299 or less.  The mini by definition is not a high end product, you wont see retina on it until those screens become cheap enough. Its a matter of carefully chosing the specs to have a good product at a low price.

Before you guys come up with ipad 2 component cost, those articles were made a year and a half ago and are completly obsolete. I am pretty sure apple can just put the ipad 2 specs on a smaller tablet at $299 and still come up with 20% to 30% margins.

The next war will be about the ecosystem's and Apple need to make sure everyone can get on it. Apple also need to close those cable deals asap and invade the TV screen before the competition does.  The last thing I want to see is Apple playing catchup on a new market, if that happens, then yes, Apple has lost its way.

• Reply 23 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Before you guys come up with ipad 2 component cost, those articles were made a year and a half ago and are completly obsolete. I am pretty sure apple can just put the ipad 2 specs on a smaller tablet at $299 and still come up with 20% to 30% margins.

It will be a huge disappointment for me if they don't make a high end model with cellular data. If they do start at $299 for non-retina I still want Retina/32GB/cellular for $599

• Reply 24 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

The iPhone 5 was a little disappointing, and frankly a small version of an iPad isn't exactly earth shattering either, particularly since Amazon and Google have adequate small tablets on the market already. Apple makes great stuff, but they need to shake things up again.

No...No they really don't.

The last 14 years they have released more ground-breaking products than any one tech company has done in their entire history.  Apple has shocked the world with the advancements they've made...and done its at lightning speed.

let's look at a brief review list:

iMac

iPod

iTunes Store

iPhone

App Store

Macbook Air

iPad

Macbook Pro w/Retina

Compare that with Sony's successful innovations:

Trinitron

Betamax - failed but better than VHS

Walkman

CD (Co-developed)

Playstation (i wouldn't really call this innovation since is was more a response to NES)

Blu-Ray

What they really need to do is slow down.

Now, people are expected an earth shattering product every couple years from Apple.  Which at this point is totally unreasonable.  They have a product strategy and it's  now at the point where there's really nowhere left to go in those market.

Look at the iPod...they've perfected it with the Classic, save for wifi, SSD and iCloud/Tunes integration.

Look at the iPhone...Really the only innovation left would be to completely drop Voice/Text for All-Data over-the-web Phone.

Look at the iPad...Really the only innovation left would be a handful of screen sizes and and that's pretty much it.

Edit: let me also say though that really the only major innovations left for these products will be in software, not hardware.

Apple TV, Photography, Ebooks/Education...those are really where Apple needs to focus now on innovation.  Just keep making marginal improvements (lighter, thinner, faster) to the rest.  Heck I'd even say to limit the form-factor changes, much like the Macbooks.  They're still looking for that signature look for the iPods and the iPad (i believe they got that signature look with the iPhone 5 now), but once those products attain that look, it's just lighter, thinner, faster from then on.  Again, look at the Macbooks.  People claim their design is OLD and TIRED, but really not.  The Air and the new Retina Models look almost identical to the Pros, with subtle tweeks, but 90% of the Pro look is there...and it looks fresh and new now.

For the public and media keep demanding these 1-year product cycles and 1-year form-factor changes is completely unreasonable and just silly IMO.  Apple really needs to slow it down now and keep making innovations/improvements to their already successful native systems.  Because if they don't, and just lay it aside for the 3rd-parties to pick up...which is what's happening currently...then Apple will soon become MS...plain and simple.  And that's bad for business and bad for innovation.

• Reply 25 of 54
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It will be a huge disappointment for me if they don't make a high end model with cellular data. If they do start at $299 for non-retina I still want Retina/32GB/cellular for $599

They could do a 7" mini with LTE for $399. But a 7.85" tablet to make a phone call is way to big imo.

If they offer to much choice on the mini then it will seriously canibalize the ipad.   They have to keep it low end.

• Reply 26 of 54

Quote:

Quote:

You mean 3g or something that can make a call?  Because they could do a 7" mini with LTE for $399. But a 7.85" tablet to make a phone call is way to big imo.

No just data, same as big iPad

• Reply 27 of 54

Quote:

They could do a 7" mini with LTE for $399. But a 7.85" tablet to make a phone call is way to big imo.

If they offer to much choice on the mini then it will seriously canibalize the ipad.   They have to keep it low end.

whats that have to do with phone calls? its about data... you know using the internet and stuff...

• Reply 28 of 54

Quote:

The next war will be about the ecosystem's and Apple need to make sure everyone can get on it. Apple also need to close those cable deals asap and invade the TV screen before the competition does.  The last thing I want to see is Apple playing catch-up on a new market, if that happens, then yes, Apple has lost its way.

They are already playing catch-up with the TV market.  They don't even have a TV set yet.

They were playing catch-up when they released the iPod, and especially the iPhone.  So even if TV goes all digital in the next 5 years, Apple has time to innovate.  What Apple does really well is this...they take existing markets and produce products that completely change the game of said markets.  They do this by carefully observing what's wrong with said markets and make a solution that's so much better that it completely changes those markets.

• Reply 29 of 54

Quote:

No just data, same as big iPad

I really don't think you'll see and LTE or 3G in the Mini at launch.

As i've already stated on this forum, I think the focus is going to be on Thin, Light and Cheap...future models might have Cellular Data but not Gen 1.

• Reply 30 of 54

Quote:

I can see it being $100 less than the full size iPad at every price point just due to the screen being slightly smaller.

$399 16GB WiFi +$130 for cellular, all the way up to $729 for 64GB with cellular.

I think it should be every bit as high quality as the regular iPad. That way if there is any cannibalization it will be with the same margins.

Look at the MacBook Pro line up and you can see they don't mind offering multiple price point options. You can buy an Air for $1499 or a Pro for $1499. There is a lot of price overlap in between. It is all about size and memory options. Apple makes their money no matter which model you choose. They shouldn't go into the mini market to compete on price with Amazon and Google because those guys are giving them away. Apple products are top quality. They even have resale value used. Do you think anyone is going to buy a used Kindle? I don't think so.

• Reply 31 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I really don't think you'll see and LTE or 3G in the Mini at launch.

As i've already stated on this forum, I think the focus is going to be on Thin, Light and Cheap...future models might have Cellular Data but not Gen 1.

If they go the 'El Cheapo' route then they have definitely lost their way.

• Reply 32 of 54

Quote:

The iPhone 5 was a little disappointing, and frankly a small version of an iPad isn't exactly earth shattering either, particularly since Amazon and Google have adequate small tablets on the market already. Apple makes great stuff, but they need to shake things up again.

Disappointing?  The bigger screen crowd got their wish, the new exteriors crowd got their wish, it has a bump in processor speed, a bump in gfx speed, and a bump in RAM, a new smaller connector, it's lighter, and has same battery life under LTE.   What more do you want?  Teleportation?  Time travel?

And who are you to say they need to shake things up again?  Because YOU want them to?  The way I see it they are making boatloads of money on what they are currently doing.  They don't NEED to do anything much different than what they are doing now for the time being.  Be sure to send your advice to Tim Cook or Ive if you think you know something about the market they don't.  The kind of revolution you are looking for maybe happens once or twice in a decade.  That kind of stuff is not easy to come by.  Don't get me wrong, if anyone were to do it, it would be Apple, but I think people sometimes set their expectations of Apple too high if that is possible.

Btw, I could very well be wrong, but I don't exactly think making a mini iPad is in Apple's DNA.  Steve said it himself: the ~10" tablet was the sweet spot.  But things will be slightly different obviously because Cook is in charge.  In my mind it I see a mini as very unlikely to be released and what we are seeing are test products, showing Apple is exploring other options.  But if they think there is a large enough market for mini and they can keep their margins high enough on them more power to them.

• Reply 33 of 54

So, by reading some comments above, Apple is doomed because the <insert product here> is going to flop.  iP5, iPad mini, etc etc etc.

2. Million. Sold. In. Less. Than. 24. Hours.

That's all I have to say about that...

• Reply 34 of 54

Quote:

perhaps not lost there way, just going the iPod Mini, then Nano route.  I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

http://daringfireball.net/2012/07/this_ipad_mini_thing

http://daringfireball.net/2012/08/ipad_mini_even_througher

Addition:

There's no doubt in future generations of the iPad mini we'll see retina and faster processors, but for Gen 1 Apple has historically seemed to under-amp the model to keep prices down and Gen 2 & subsequent releases they amp it up quite a bit.  Which was one of the reasons why I bought my iPad at Gen 2.  However, I lost the retina bet I made with gen 2.  I thought that if Gen 2 didn't have retina, Gen 3 wouldn't either.  I bet wrong.  So now i'm kind of kicking myself for not waiting for Gen 3....But, I certainly don't like the added weight of Gen 3 so that kind of eases my frustrations.  So I'll probably upgrade at Gen 4 or 5.

Personally, I see no need for owning a iPad Mini if I already have an iPhone and iPad 10".  And frankly, After almost 18 months of iPad usage, I couldn't really see going smaller, but that's just me.

• Reply 35 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by archurban View Post

now, I believe any rumor because of iphone 4s, 5 which was exactly the same as rumors. so if ipad mini will look like that with some shitty features like iphone 5, I will never buy apple forever. plus, ipad mini price will be steep. look at ipod touch 5G. it starts $299. so if it would be $399 as basic model, it is also non-sense because high end ipod touch model is $399. there is no advantage of buying over a big ipad. epic fails. this company faces with limitation finally without Steve Jobs Tim Cook has no idea what he is doing.

I'll forgive your poor grammar as english may not be your first language. But let me get this straight, you would never buy Apple but you follow Apple rumors enough to know that the iPhone 4s and 5 were exactly like the rumors? You have a "principled" stance against a brand of consumer electronics, but yet you still feel compelled to follow rumors closer than any typical consumer? What a pathetic waste of time. The only people I know who obsess over something they hate are compensating for insecurities surrounding their personal choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

With the new iPod touch, I'm still not convinced we'll see the mythical iPad mini. A 7" tablet would be good for e-reading, but little else.

What about as portable movie players? Game playing? What about those who find the 10" iPad too heavy to hold for long periods? I wouldn't want to run productivity apps on it, but for web browsing, game playing, movie watching (e.g. give to kids in the car), it'd be pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

If mass production is to be believed, then the new iPad mini has to start at $199/$249.

Nobody is going to buy a 7" tablet at $399, not even an iPad.

No, no it doesn't. It can start at $249 or $299. My guess is $299.

Quote:

Since Amazon and Google have adequate tablets in the 7" market, Apple should refrain from releasing a good tablet in that market? I know if I was in the market for a 7" tablet, I'd want something better than "adequate."

• Reply 36 of 54

The photos maybe legit and the iPad Mini isn't going to be any revolutionary device. However, I hope it has some new features that set it aside from the iPad.

The price should be around $199.99 to compete with the Nexus 7.

Nevertheless, I will probably pick one up though.

• Reply 37 of 54

Quote:

This is true, but I think you're in the minority of people who would buy an iPad Mini for $399.

I think if Apple goes through with the Mini they will try to press the pricing envelope while keeping margins the same as the Touch and iPad, which in my opinion means iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 specs.

It is possible that Apple will make the Mini just another size option for the iPad which would mean it would have the same specs as the iPad3 and probably cost $399 as you postulate but I don't think that's what consumers for a Mini are looking for.

• Reply 38 of 54

Apple isn't going to price this at $199. No way, no how.  And forget about the Nexus 7, Kindle, etc.  Apple doesn't have to engage in a price war in order to sell millions of these.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but doesn't Google make just a few bucks on the Nexus 7?  And I believe that Amazon breaks even, simply as a gateway to sell content.  My point here, Apple is a hardware company, they aren't going to go to that level to compete. And they don't have to, either.  They'll price this at $249-$299, maybe 10% more, and they will still sell millions.  

Apple has never, and i doubt will ever, compete on price.  It's not their M.O.

EDIT: Meant to add, the edges of this look very much like the new iPod Touch

• Reply 39 of 54
    I believe it. Hell, everything else has been on the money so far.
  • Reply 40 of 54

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course, TS' head will now explode.

No, I'm now accustomed to the idea of Apple doing idiotic things again. They want to repeat the '90s, that's their call.

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I believe it. Hell, everything else has been on the money so far.

JUST like the iPhone nano.