When purchased this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud.

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

Remember that annoying message that read "When purchased this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud." that pretty much disappeared after Universal and Fox finally started allowing iCloud streaming of movies directly from the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV's a couple months ago? Well, it's back. And I'd like to know why.

Indiana Jones, Alien, Prometheus, (from Paramount & 20th Century Fox, respectively) now come with that message attached. Which sucks for me, because I have been buying fox titles a lot lately with no problems, so I purchased those three movies (4 in the case of Indiana Jones) only to find out that apparently Fox has gone back on their agreement and is now re-refusing to allow honest, paying customers the right to stream their movies.

Anybody know what happened to the sensible employee who authorized streaming? Did Ari Emanuel tie the employee up in one of his non-descript pool-houses so Ari could go on championing the useless UltraViolet "brand"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

It looks like every movie I see in the iTunes store, regardless of studio, is coming up with this message for me. Not sure if it's true or not...

• Reply 2 of 5

I'm seeing the same thing - I bought all of those films last night on my Apple TV and they all seem to play fine on my Apple TV (1080p).  Content ineligible for iTunes in the Cloud typically cannot be purchased via Apple TV (the Buy button doesn't appear).  I'm assuming this is an error on the part of Apple since Fox and Paramount have deals with them.  BUT, I'm backing up the content on my Mac right now just in case.

• Reply 3 of 5

I am not able to open itune on my iphone set.will you tell me the easiest  way to open itune.

day picnic around delhi

• Reply 4 of 5

Apparently a few titles have swapped distributers and users that have purchased these via Apple TV no longer have access to them if they have changed and you have to re-buy the movie!!

I reckon Apple must have disabled this feature to purchase to the cloud until its resolved.

• Reply 5 of 5
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc22 View Post

Remember that annoying message that read "When purchased this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud." that pretty much disappeared after Universal and Fox finally started allowing iCloud streaming of movies directly from the 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV's a couple months ago? Well, it's back. And I'd like to know why.

Generally it's due to licensing contracts for some other medium. 

Remember that under current rules, iTunes, especially streaming is considered 'broadcasting'. So if say Warners grants an exclusive broadcast deal for a movie or several to a cable net, like HBO or Showtime, no one else can have the movie. Thus since streaming is built into that 'itunes in the cloud' functionality, the movie has to be blocked. 

Personally, and this is coming from someone in the industry, I think it's BS. To me they have their heads up their butts on the digital issue. Especially Warners. They won't allow their shows to be up for online viewing or downloading basically until the show is 2 years past over. And then they blame it on torrenting. But folks are torrenting in part because there are no legal options. Id-dee-its. And it's not just the HBO shows. They have a handful of broadcast shows (Person of Interest for example) that are barred. I really hate that Nolan and Abrams don't have the rights to control digital because they would do it. They are with it enough to know that the Ratings are a bunk system and the viewers for Abrams shows are 90% geeks that would buy online if they could. Especially if the price wasn't this insane $3.00 an ep (frankly I think $1.99 for all qualities is more like it, $2.99 if it's a 90 or + thing like Sherlock)