Open Internet groups to file FCC complaint over AT&T's FaceTime blocking

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… On forums.appleinsider.com, or appleinsider.com? That's not the case for me in either place. 

And IN that case, that's absolutely horrible. How am I supposed to clean that up if it's not even pushed to me?!

forums.appleinsider.com

one before your test post, one before your "thanks for that" post and two before an annonymous post where he quotes 2 people

• Reply 42 of 87

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. Straight Talk allows it - and you're even using the ATT network, so there's no need to change phones.

Do you know of any Straight Talk plans to support LTE of either the Verizon or AT&T bands?

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

forums.appleinsider.com

one before your test post, one before your "thanks for that" post and two before an annonymous post where he quotes 2 people

Thanks. And suddenly, once the thread had two pages, I was able to go back to page one and see his duplicate posts. Should be fixed now. 

• Reply 43 of 87
    Let me see if I understand you correctly...you are going to pay a hefty fee, to, cancel with one wireless carrier (because they are "forcing you" to switch to a Mobile Share plan) to a different wireless carriers Mobile Share plan? And your "New" wireless carrier ALSO forces you to switch to a Mobile Share plan?
  • Reply 44 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Testing AT

I seriously doubt it is intrusion detection otherwise they would not post the message at all. I think it is probably unfinished programming to blame. But confirmed you cannot type an '&' on the main website message form.
  • Reply 45 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That's an Apple problem or deliberate decision, not a Verizon network issue; that's been hashed out plenty. Everyone's different but considering I'm on a voice call less than 10% of the time i use my iPhone and 50% of that is within Wifi, I don't see it being an issue. So yes, with a larger network in general, way more LTE, and the grandfathered $30 unlimited internet plan with a 19% discount, for me it's > by a wide margin. YMMV

Well - my intent of the first post  was not to derail the thread - which is about ATT charging for unlimited intent on older contracts, and then deciding that its not all the ports - so no facetime for example, which I would imagine for the average user would be small compared to streaming netflix..

as for the  voice and data, the CDMA networks used by Verizon and Sprint don't permit simultaneous use of a data connection and a voice connection - dont know what you mean about hashed out - its not apple - ts the coma system verizon had at the time - expectations by many were that simultaneous use would be permitted in LTE areas - but that does appear restricted as well - 
  • Reply 46 of 87
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

Quote:

One again, Verizon > AT&T

Coupled with my grandfathered Unlimited plan, couldn't be happier.

Not true. with verizon data shared plans are now the ONLY plans, so singe people who arent buying cell phones for a house full of teenagers get hozed.

• Reply 47 of 87

I dropped ATT and went with Sprint....I just got tired of ATT. What a crappy company...just like Cox cable!

• Reply 48 of 87

Just for the fun of it, I tried using FaceTime over cellular and low and behold, it's working perfectly.

To be sure, we do NOT have a shared AT&T Data Plan. Ours is still the original unlimited Data Plan we had with our original iPhones (1st gen.).

Family plan for voice, separate unlimited plans for data.

Haven't tried if this is just between phones on the same account or anyone, but it's the one that matters most to me.

• Reply 49 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

which is about ATT charging for unlimited intent on older contracts, and then deciding that its not all the ports - so no facetime for example, which I would imagine for the average user would be small compared to streaming netflix.

That's the thing. It is NOT like streaming Netflix. FaceTime needs a higher priority since you can't carry on a conversation if it freezes and buffers all the time which is apparently acceptable with Netflix. I can understand AT&T's reasoning for wanting to charge more because it is not like other data. It is on the same priority as voice.

• Reply 50 of 87

Quote:

dont know what you mean about hashed out - its not apple - ts the coma system verizon had at the time - expectations by many were that simultaneous use would be permitted in LTE areas - but that does appear restricted as well - 

Simultaneous voice and data does work in LTE areas on Verizon with some LTE phones.  However Apple did not include enough antennas for it to work on the iPhone 5, that is why he said that it is Apple's fault, because if Apple would have added another antenna it would have worked.

• Reply 51 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Not true. with verizon data shared plans are now the ONLY plans, so singe people who arent buying cell phones for a house full of teenagers get hozed.

Not true, you can keep your plan, you just pay full price for the phone. Works for me. No contract, and unlimited data. 

• Reply 52 of 87

Quote:

as for the  voice and data, the CDMA networks used by Verizon and Sprint don't permit simultaneous use of a data connection and a voice connection - dont know what you mean about hashed out - its not apple - ts the coma system verizon had at the time - expectations by many were that simultaneous use would be permitted in LTE areas - but that does appear restricted as well - 

Don't post on what you don't understand. Every LTE phone on Verizon supports simultaneous voice and data (within an LTE area), the iPhone 5 will be the first one that does not as Apple did not include an antenna to support it. That WAS Apple's choice, not the chipset. The Qualcomm chip supports it, as well as Verizon's network. Several devices even support voice and data on 3G CDMA including the Galaxy S3 (which also has LTE integrated) and going back to the HTC Thunderbolt. On Sprint similar story with the Evo 4G LTE.

• Reply 53 of 87
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

Quote:

Not true, you can keep your plan, you just pay full price for the phone. Works for me. No contract, and unlimited data. 

As an ATT user who wants to switch, your plan is not goign to be availible to me.

• Reply 54 of 87
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkirk81 View Post

Meanwhile here in the little UK, I get unlimited data with Giffgaff for £10/$15 a month with no contract! That includes FaceTime! When it comes to telecoms, the USA is a rip off :/

Are they still billing landlines to call cell phones?

• Reply 55 of 87

Quote:

Don't post on what you don't understand. Every LTE phone on Verizon supports simultaneous voice and data (within an LTE area), the iPhone 5 will be the first one that does not as Apple did not include an antenna to support it. That WAS Apple's choice, not the chipset. The Qualcomm chip supports it, as well as Verizon's network. Several devices even support voice and data on 3G CDMA including the Galaxy S3 (which also has LTE integrated) and going back to the HTC Thunderbolt. On Sprint similar story with the Evo 4G LTE.

f people on here only posted on subjects they understood - there would be fewer posts...

except for the mac spell checker chnaging CDMA to coma....

I said that CDMA as implemented by Verizon does NOT support simultaneous data and talk - so you maybe wrong on this....

LTE sa implemented by Verizon may allow it ( ithink it does but i dont know for sure - ) but i understand that iPhone 5 will still not allow simultaneous usage - that may be verizons or Aplpes issue - i dont know 

• Reply 56 of 87

Quote:

One again, Verizon > AT&T

Coupled with my grandfathered Unlimited plan, couldn't be happier.

so you like that you can never get a subsidy from Verizon again and will have to pay full price for your phones from now on. 

to each his own

• Reply 57 of 87

LTE sa implemented by Verizon may allow it ( ithink it does but i dont know for sure - ) but i understand that iPhone 5 will still not allow simultaneous usage - that may be verizons or Aplpes issue - i dont know 

Both. Verizon does not yet have an established VoLTE protocol in place, Apple did not include the third antenna that would have made possible Verizon's existing voice+data workaround.

I believe that Apple was correct in their action, but incorrect in thinking that Verizon will actually do this in any acceptable amount of time. 

• Reply 58 of 87

Quote:

I said that CDMA as implemented by Verizon does NOT support simultaneous data and talk - so you maybe wrong on this....

EXCEPT THAT IT DOES FOR THE THIRD TIME. Please. Read.

• Reply 59 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both. Verizon does not yet have an established VoLTE protocol in place,

That's another issue. There isn't a real global unified VoLTE standard in the LTE documentation. Yet more fractured mess. 

• Reply 60 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

so you like that you can never get a subsidy from Verizon again and will have to pay full price for your phones from now on. 

to each his own

I do. Here's the funny part, for a single line, you actually SAVE money over the course of 2 years. The new plans are more expensive than the upfront cost of the device, not to mention you're contract free and keep unlimited LTE. Math is interesting when worked out.