Anderson: March "A quarter of product transition"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From an <a href="http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4116"; target="_blank">Article</a> on<a href="http://macworld.co.uk"; target="_blank">Macworld UK</a>.

[quote]More products are ready to roll. Anderson hinted at Apple's schedules: "The March quarter will be a quarter of product transition."

The company is optimistic for its growth prospects in the second half of the year. Anderson described Apple's planned product launches for the rest of the year as a "robust pipeline". <hr></blockquote>

So it looks like we might see the G5 at MWT . If not then almost certainly at MWNY

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    The transition he is probably refering to is the old iMac to the new iMac transition.

Basically, it seems to be codespeak for: "If we don't reach our sales numbers in Q1, it's because we had 'trasition' difficulties.

As for poised for growth in 2H, I think he is merely parroting the much-hoped-for rebound in the computer business as a whole later this year, and that Apple will be poised to grow with it. I don't think it refers to PM's specifically, just the whole gamut of Apple products.

In other words, any conclusions you draw from Fred's evasion are you own. Sorry, but reading projected future statements from any company (but ESPECIALLY Apple) is just asking for a gigantic headache of nuanced and mostly meaningless phraseology.

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The March quarter is Jan.-Feb.-March. He's talking about the iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>The transition he is probably refering to is the old iMac to the new iMac transition.

Basically, it seems to be codespeak for: "If we don't reach our sales numbers in Q1, it's because we had 'trasition' difficulties.

As for poised for growth in 2H, I think he is merely parroting the much-hoped-for rebound in the computer business as a whole later this year, and that Apple will be poised to grow with it. I don't think it refers to PM's specifically, just the whole gamut of Apple products.

In other words, any conclusions you draw from Fred's evasion are you own. Sorry, but reading projected future statements from any company (but ESPECIALLY Apple) is just asking for a gigantic headache of nuanced and mostly meaningless phraseology.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/17.analysts.php"; target="_blank">Analysts on Apple's financial report</a>

To quote from the article:

"The quarter itself wasn't necessarily great," Lehman Brothers analyst Daniel Niles, told us last night, noting the dip in revenue. "But the guidance (for the coming quarter) was phenomenal."

"The quarter came in pretty much in line with expectations," said David Bailey, a research analyst with Gerard, Klauer, Mattison & Co. "I think investors should concentrate on the second half of the year."

Higher costs should reduce some of Apple's high margins in second quarter, a prospect that doesn't necessarily faze anyone from Cupertino. "A 30.7 percent gross margin is pretty lofty to sustain long-term," Anderson said. "We would trade some of that for (sales) growth."

And that's exactly what analysts are expecting for the rest of 2002. Bailey looks for a favorable second half fueled by more OS X-native software releases and "significant upgrades to Apple's entire desktop line."

(my emphasis added)

So now SdC knows more than Wall Street Analysts, too. I continue to be amazed.

• Reply 5 of 17
    TJM: cute.

I don't know more than Wall Street. But they don't know more than any of us, either.

But taking anything Fred says for proof of anything is a short road to Wrong Conclusion-ville, population: you.

Bailey (the guy you quoted) is guessing. So am I. And surprise, so are you, choosing to believe Bailey. I neither believe or disbelieve Bailey, I'm just saying that Fred's messages were intentionally vague, and that reading into them anything is probably not a good idea.

Finally, I never said in my post that I knew anything, except that the future prognostications of CFO's are intentionally vague. How you took umbrage at that is mystifying to me. But whatever. It's one thing to read, and another thing to comprehend, bubba.

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 17
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member

<strong>TJM: cute.

I don't know more than Wall Street. But they don't know more than any of us, either.

But taking anything Fred says for proof of anything is a short road to Wrong Conclusion-ville, population: you.

Bailey (the guy you quoted) is guessing. So am I. And surprise, so are you, choosing to believe Bailey. I neither believe or disbelieve Bailey, I'm just saying that Fred's messages were intentionally vague, and that reading into them anything is probably not a good idea.

Finally, I never said in my post that I knew anything, except that the future prognostications of CFO's are intentionally vague. How you took umbrage at that is mystifying to me. But whatever. It's one thing to read, and another thing to comprehend, bubba.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, for one thing, these analysts do this sort of thing for a living. Making accurate projections about a company's future prospects is required of them, or they lose their jobs. These guys have listened in on hundreds of these conference calls and other corporate reports, and they know how to read between the lines and read the minor inflections in the standard corporate happy-talk.

I don't buy that everyone's opinion/interpretation is just as valid as anyone else's. In trying to discern the future of Apple, or anything else, I have learned to listen most to the people who are in a position to know the most. The "experts" are certainly not always right, but they're right much more often than laymen.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I put a lot more stock in their opinions than yours.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    x704x704 Posts: 276member

<strong>I don't know more than Wall Street. But they don't know more than any of us, either.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, in the past Apple has given some top street anaylists sneak previews of upcoming products (of course they're NDA'd). Perhaps Apple has extended you this invitation as well .

Of course that's not to say that they have in this case ... I just want an entry level 1 Ghz PM with 266 bus w/GF3 Ti. Pretty please Apple, with suger & a cherry on top .
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Since when did March become a quarter of a year?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>Since when did March become a quarter of a year?</strong><hr></blockquote>

March is the 3rd month of 12 months. 12 divided by 4 (quarters) is 3-or the 3rd month, March.

[unless you meant specific reference to March as the 3rd quarter, because that's when the quarter ends and they report profits.]

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    oops

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 17
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I doubt the transitional period refers to the iMacs alone.

However on that note don't forget they are in transition from OS 9 as the default to OS X. That is a big transition from Apple's point of view.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    It's just as likely that "transitional" means "don't expect to see anything new ... we can't say we don't have the chips yet so we'll say we're in transition."

Not a bad way of covering your arse when company policy is that you don't pre-announce and if you had to tell the uncut truth about a sticky situation, what would the analysts report ... ? (Clue: SELL! SELL! SELL!)

Do I know this is the case or strongly believe it based on Fred's oracular obscurity? Nope. But it's just a valid reading as "you'll see transition THIS quarter."

As for the analysts, Skullfcukdotcom is absolutely right. An astonishing con trick has been pulled by these munts (or rather the banks) ... they get it wrong *consistently* and never seem to get fired. They know as much about Apple's release schedule as we do and have about as large a grasp on tech as the average Joe. Applenut would make as good an analyst as anyone.

Oh, and the G5 doesn't exist.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Oh, and the G5 doesn't exist

And what makes you say this brainiac? Because you haven't seen it? No one knows what Apple is up to next, not you, not me, not most of the people who work at Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'd say something likea G5 exists: 85xx. Clearly it's generation 5 and Moto has already talked about it. We just don't know if there's any version of it destined for desktop use. perhaps you'll only be able to get one in a Cisco router?

As far as analysts are concerned... they do in fact CONSISTENTLY get stuff wrong. Research has shown that a lot of brokerages/market analysts etc... don't do much (if any) better than chance. However, the good ones have access to a lot of insider info/word on the street and they have networks in place that can hide/obscure not entirely kosher dealings. It's a situation where everybody knows everybody IS cheating, but you don't get busted unless you're VERY bad (Enron?) or you piss off the wrong people. Most of them aren't going to give a shit about Apple, they have better places to steal money.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Oh, and the G5 doesn't exist

And what makes you say this brainiac? Because you haven't seen it? No one knows what Apple is up to next, not you, not me, not most of the people who work at Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please refer to the million other threads about this on AI. Pay special attention to quoted sources such as Motorola as opposed to "my mate who had a chat with

actually, just forget it
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Oh where's this link that says Motorola said the G5 DOESN't exist?

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Oh, and the G5 doesn't exist

And what makes you say this brainiac? Because you haven't seen it? No one knows what Apple is up to next, not you, not me, not most of the people who work at Apple.