US ITC to investigate Apple's products in response to Motorola complaint

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    I don't know if this is fitting here or not, but just watched the video on the [URL=http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19637241]BBC of the new Motorola RAZR[/URL] with an Intel chip.

Doesn't look half bad really... and could chop away at Google's OEMs products i.e. HTC 1 and SIII.
  • Reply 22 of 38

Do you have a patent law degree? Didn't think so. Therefore, your opinion caries no more validity than anyone else's on here. Try to process that before you post.

Now....

I believe that the entire system is terribly broken. And I'm not the only one that believes this.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

Apple is turning into the Big Brother figure they rebelled against in their own 1984 commercial.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I am so sick of people who know nothing about what is going on and think their "boycotts" mean anything beyond self-shorting.

• Reply 23 of 38

Quote:

I am so sick of people who know nothing about what is going on and think their "boycotts" mean anything beyond self-shorting.

haha. agreed 100%.

• Reply 24 of 38

This is Google ....

DO they have no shame.

• Reply 25 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Do you have a patent law degree? Didn't think so. Therefore, your opinion caries no more validity than anyone else's on here. Try to process that before you post.

Now....

I believe that the entire system is terribly broken. And I'm not the only one that believes this.

Apple is turning into the Big Brother figure they rebelled against in their own 1984 commercial.

Yeah, how dare they innovate and then want to protect their innovations from copycat competitors like Samsung?
  • Reply 26 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Do you have a patent law degree? Didn't think so. Therefore, your opinion caries no more validity than anyone else's on here.

You also don't need an astrophysics degree to know that sun comes up once a day...

Many of the people who comment on here perhaps don't have law degrees, but they sure are not stupid. They know the technologies, and the companies involved well enough to have an informed opinion.

Infact I would question the ability of many a judge to make the right decision due to the technical complexities involved. Would Posner have a degree in the technologies he presides over? I doubt it. Does he need to? In my opinion, yes.

I personally do not have a single degree in anything, but then nor did Steve Jobs.

• Reply 27 of 38
    Did either of you two listen to the podcast link I gave?

Of course not. Because just like the republicans say, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And we're not going to let fact checking get in the way."

"You also don't need an astrophysics degree to know that sun comes up once a day..." is a worthless clichéd analogy. Obviously patent law is more complicated than knowing the sun rises in the east and settles in the west.

Like I said, the patent system is broken and Apple is taking advantage of that fact to try and kill their only worthy competitor. You know who else engaged in this type of behavior back in the 90s? That's right, Microsoft. Now Apple is the monopolistic bully trying to stifle competition. It's one reason why I'm ditching my iPhone for Windows Phone. Can't stand the behavior or lack of innovation.
  • Reply 28 of 38

Quote:

Like I said, the patent system is broken and Apple is taking advantage of that fact to try and kill their only worthy competitor. You know who else engaged in this type of behavior back in the 90s? That's right, Microsoft. Now Apple is the monopolistic bully trying to stifle competition. It's one reason why I'm ditching my iPhone for Windows Phone. Can't stand the behavior or lack of innovation.

Based on your comment Samsung is Apple's only worthy competitor so you are going to ditch your iPhone and buy a Windows Phone. Somehow you buying a phone from a lesser competitor is supposed to teach Apple a lesson? Your logic is very flawed and your leaving Apple won't be noticed or missed.

• Reply 29 of 38

Quote:

This sentence alone suggests you know little about Apple or the patent system. Apple are not 'bullying', nor stifling competition, they are merely trying to stop copycat devices. 

Microsoft has shown that you can create a device which is not a carbon copy of Apples IP, and the IP they do use they license (and vice versa). Google/Motorola do not, they blatantly copy, this is as clear to anyone with half a brain, as clear as the sun rising.

By the way, I may not have a law 'degree' but I have read 2 inch thick books on Copyright, Patents and Business Law along with 30 years IT experience and various inventions of my own.

The patent system may not be perfect, but don't believe the Google propaganda. A world without IP protection stifles innovation. No reward = no innovation.

• Reply 30 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And how many of those are FRAND?

And of the FRAND patents, how many have you actually offered fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms?

And how many of the patents are already exhausted due to component suppliers paying you royalties?

And if you actually bothered to read, it has been stated that none are FRAND or SEP so no Motorola has the right to sue and did offer as they have stated to license.  Apple is not known for their generosity when it comes to licensing patents and their "fair and reasonable" offer to Samsung was received as unfair and unreasonable.

Perhaps the USPTO should pull their collective heads out of their arses and actually do something about the screwed up process, then we would see real innovation and real inventions get patented rather than some graphical effect.  I say this to all patent holders not Apple, not Samsung, but every lame software related patent holder.

• Reply 31 of 38

So you're saying that no one should listen to you because your opinion is meaningless.

Now....

You're certainly not the only one to copy and paste this useless waste of bytes, that's for sure.

Thanks, you just gave me #45! Only a few more to fill out the spots I've set aside!

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

And if you actually bothered to read, it has been stated that none are FRAND or SEP so no Motorola has the right to sue and did offer as they have stated to license.  Apple is not known for their generosity when it comes to licensing patents and their "fair and reasonable" offer to Samsung was received as unfair and unreasonable.

None of Apple's patents were declared to be FRAND. Nothing had to be fair or reasonable. If Samsung wants to use the technologies behind them, since the patents are not standards, Samsung either pays what Apple wants or doesn't get to legally use them.

They chose the latter. And paid for it.

• Reply 32 of 38
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

How sad that Motorla and google are afraid of competition that they have to sue apple. If they could just innovate their own stuff then they wouldn't have to resort to this sillyness. Google really has become big brother, I will never buy an android device or support google or motorla in anyway because they cannot compete in the industry without suing their competition.

Pretty pathetic of google.

• Reply 33 of 38
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Did either of you two listen to the podcast link I gave?

Of course not. Because just like the republicans say, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. And we're not going to let fact checking get in the way."

"You also don't need an astrophysics degree to know that sun comes up once a day..." is a worthless clichéd analogy. Obviously patent law is more complicated than knowing the sun rises in the east and settles in the west.

This guy doesn't have a clue. I have been in manufacturing for 25 years and I have seen what has happened to companies believing that low labor costs would increase profits. So, they setup manufacturing in China and within a year a Chinese company copies the product and process without shame. They then become their competitor, robbing them of their IP and profits.
    This is the exact same thing!!!!! You can buy iPhone, iPod and iPad knockoffs throughout Asia for a fraction of the price. Don't kid yourself this was a complete ripoff from the start. Look at their packaging it's pathetic that they can't even come up with that!

This has happened to countless American companies, so you may believe that just because I am boycotting the Korean company Samsung that it won't have an effect, I think you are wrong! My family no longer buys Samsung, my friends don't buy Samsung and I hope to convince everyone that I do business with to stop buying Samsung.
  • Reply 34 of 38

Quote:

Really?   I'm surprised, usually there's also a Fox News reference in there somewhere as well.  Please keep your political views, however misguided they may be, to yourself.

• Reply 35 of 38

Quote:

Like I said, the patent system is broken and Apple is taking advantage of the patent laws in place that fact to try and kill their only worthy competitor stop the worst major patent copier. You know who else engaged in this type of behavior back in the 90s? That's right, Microsoft. Now Apple is the innovator monopolistic bully trying to stifle competition copying . It's one reason why I'm ditching my iPhone for Windows Phone. Can't stand the Samscum behavior or and lack of innovation.

Uhh... dude, I fixed that for you. In addition, you need to know that Microsoft didn't use the patent system to build their market dominance, in fact Microsoft used a toolbox full of illegal and unethical methods instead. So is THAT why you want to go out and buy a Windows phone??

• Reply 36 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

This guy doesn't have a clue. I have been in manufacturing for 25 years and I have seen what has happened to companies believing that low labor costs would increase profits. So, they setup manufacturing in China and within a year a Chinese company copies the product and process without shame. They then become their competitor, robbing them of their IP and profits.

This is the exact same thing!!!!! You can buy iPhone, iPod and iPad knockoffs throughout Asia for a fraction of the price. Don't kid yourself this was a complete ripoff from the start. Look at their packaging it's pathetic that they can't even come up with that!

This has happened to countless American companies, so you may believe that just because I am boycotting the Korean company Samsung that it won't have an effect, I think you are wrong! My family no longer buys Samsung, my friends don't buy Samsung and I hope to convince everyone that I do business with to stop buying Samsung.

You might be in manufacturing, but if you were in marketing you would have attended a few trade shows in the USA and seen the Asians with their digital cameras snapping photos of every innovative thing they see. It's not necessary for an USA company to take their product manufacturing to Asia when Asia comes to the USA to steal the IP.

• Reply 37 of 38
    Or else what, exactly? Going to outsource my job?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Really?   I'm surprised, usually there's also a Fox News reference in there somewhere as well.  Please keep your political views, however misguided they may be, to yourself.

• Reply 38 of 38
    Your responses are those of a spoiled young child. Who was dumb enough to let you moderate?

Quote:

So you're saying that no one should listen to you because your opinion is meaningless.

You're certainly not the only one to copy and paste this useless waste of bytes, that's for sure.

Thanks, you just gave me #45! Only a few more to fill out the spots I've set aside!

None of Apple's patents were declared to be FRAND. Nothing had to be fair or reasonable. If Samsung wants to use the technologies behind them, since the patents are not standards, Samsung either pays what Apple wants or doesn't get to legally use them.

They chose the latter. And paid for it.