Apple stock closes above $700 for first time after hitting record-breaking intraday high

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... some of those first AAPL shares I bought for $17 are looking pretty good about now.

Good for you! How long are you going to hold on to them?  Depending on how much you own, that could be a small fortune!

• Reply 22 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But it's just a bubble, imagine how hard it will fall when Apple tanks, this doesn't mean anything because Samsung makes refrigerators, think of the children(!), rectangle patents, Foxconn suicides oh my!, Apple hates babies, satsfied customers are biased, Steve would never have allowed this, Lucy Koh hates Samsung (especially when she leaves it up to a jury), iOS is stale, etc., etc., etc.

/s

Did I miss anything?

Add something about Apple stealing the notification shade from Android and that about covers it.

• Reply 23 of 49
    isteelers wrote: »
    Ahh... some of those first AAPL shares I bought for $17 are looking pretty good about now.

Good for you! How long are you going to hold on to them?  Depending on how much you own, that could be a small fortune!

I have been gifting shares to my daughter.. Now we both have started gifting shares to her 3 teenagers.

If all works as planned, most of my "estate" will be gifted and will avoid the tax man.

Edit: this doesn't include my "Terrible Towels" -- they're mine!
  • Reply 24 of 49
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

I have been gifting shares to my daughter.. Now we both have started gifting shares to her 3 teenagers.

If all works as planned, most of my "estate" will be gifted and will avoid the tax man.

If you want to gift some my way I wouldn't mind =)

lol I had bought AAPL back in 98 and 99 when Steve had just come back, for 20 something a share, it split twice while I owned it and I ended up making about 10 grand when I sold it, I sold it after Apple had done very well with the ipods and itunes etc but before the major success of the Iphone, I figured Apple couldn't possibly do much more than it had done so I sold and upgraded my home, which went to my ex wife in the divorce, so now I look back and watch Apples stock go through the roof and I have nothing to show for it lol, but I still daydream that I had never sold it and live vicariously through those who still do own it.

• Reply 25 of 49
    xrcx wrote: »

If you want to gift some my way I wouldn't mind =)

lol I had bought AAPL back in 98 and 99 when Steve had just come back, for 20 something a share, it split twice while I owned it and I ended up making about 10 grand when I sold it, I sold it after Apple had done very well with the ipods and itunes etc but before the major success of the Iphone, I figured Apple couldn't possibly do much more than it had done so I sold and upgraded my home, which went to my ex wife in the divorce, so now I look back and watch Apples stock go through the roof and I have nothing to show for it lol, but I still daydream that I had never sold it and live vicariously through those who still do own it.

That's one of several reasons that I would like to see a large split -- to bring the shares to a level that a new investor would be attracted to them.

Also, it would give me, my daughter and grand kids some flexibility on trading.

If you replot that chart starting at $700 as the starting point and $2,000 in 2014-2015... That's a pretty positive outlook. Change that to $35 and $100 and anyone could invest!
  • Reply 26 of 49
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

That's one of several reasons that I would like to see a large split -- to bring the shares to a level that a new investor would be attracted to them.

If you replot that chart starting at $700 as the starting point and $2,000 in 2014-2015... That's a pretty positive outlook. Change that to $35 and $100 and anyone could invest!

I agree, they have an extremely positive outlook, I see alot of predictions for 1k per share but I think it will split way before then.

• Reply 27 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

They can still invest. If someone can't afford to invest more than for one share, then perhaps they should do something else with the money. Besides, I doubt we'll see Apple split so that the shares are that low. Maybe in half, or in quarters.

I wouldn't mind either way, but it's false to thnk that small investors can't invest with a high share price. After all, this isn't Berkshire Hathaway.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Add something about Apple stealing the notification shade from Android and that about covers it.

I knew he forgot something. He also got to mention how all these stories about stock prices were meaningless.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    melgross wrote: »

They can still invest. If someone can't afford to invest more than for one share, then perhaps they should do something else with the money. Besides, I doubt we'll see Apple split so that the shares are that low. Maybe in half, or in quarters.

I wouldn't mind either way, but it's false to thnk that small investors can't invest with a high share price. After all, this isn't Berkshire Hathaway.

Certainly not going to get into a pissing contest about investments with @melgross...

However, it is easier for an investor-in-training to make trading decisions involving hundreds of dollars rather than tens of thousands of dollars.

From my experience, I could experiment with $17-$25 per share investment ideas -- but if it is a large percentage of your portfolio, a $700-$2,000 per share stock is not fungible.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    For me, this isn't a simple question.

I bought some shares before the 2005 split in my Roth IRA. I could sell those, walk away with all the profits tax-free. I'd just need to reinvest in something that returns similar gains. Or maybe I should have sold AAPL and shorted FB. :)

The second batch was purchased in my regular brokerage account a few years later. Whatever shares I sell from that account would be subject to capital gains. However, I'm thinking of keeping those in my back pocket. If I ever have a one-time windfall in income, I could donate some of those fully-appreciated shares to charity and take the tax deduction without paying capital gains tax, whatever the rate is at that time.

When my AAPL holdings reaches 20% of my portfolio, I'll probably look at this much more seriously. Diversification is great, but AAPL is now a blue-chip, with more cash than anyone else, zero debt, and positive market growth. The shares are undervalued.
  • Reply 31 of 49

My typical advice to new investors is to never buy more than 20% of your portfolio in a single transaction. So, a $700 stock would mean that to buy a single share then need to have $3,500 ready to trade. An awful lot of people would never get involved with that kind of barrier. I know I started out with $2,000 hard-scraped together cash back in '98. (Bought Metricom, the maker of the Ricochet wireless modems. Made a pretty good profit too for a while...)

Lower share prices do make stocks more accessible. I don't think you need to get into penny-stock levels, but at least low enough that a block isn't over $5-10k.
  • Reply 32 of 49

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

…Apple… …ought to consider lowering prices across their line to make them more competitive with Windows PCs.

This just screams of ignorance in all languages, living and dead, simultaneously.

Except I know you know better.

• Reply 33 of 49
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »

My typical advice to new investors is to never buy more than 20% of your portfolio in a single transaction. So, a $700 stock would mean that to buy a single share then need to have $3,500 ready to trade. An awful lot of people would never get involved with that kind of barrier. I know I started out with $2,000 hard-scraped together cash back in '98. (Bought Metricom, the maker of the Ricochet wireless modems. Made a pretty good profit too for a while...)

Lower share prices do make stocks more accessible. I don't think you need to get into penny-stock levels, but at least low enough that a block isn't over $5-10k.

Yeah... I started with channeling stocks .com... Some stocks cycle between a hi-lo range over time. I had watched AAPL for a long time and they seemed to cycle between $11 and $23... So I bought some at $17.

It wasn't a major part of my holdings, so I just held it.

I have been buying ever since.

The nice part about Apple is that I know the company from personal experience and long term observation. Also, as secretive as they are -- there is plenty of info and analysis available on Apple -- probably more than any other corp.
  • Reply 34 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I think you've got it all covered, but you could have scored a few style points by slipping a good ol' fashioned "beleaguered" in there somewhere.

Hehe . . . "beleaguered" always plays well. 

• Reply 35 of 49
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Apple stock reached another milestone on Tuesday, reaching all-time intraday and closing highs just one day after breaking the $700 barrier for the first time in after-market trading.

it broke the 700 mark in monday's pre-market trading. christ, do you even pay attention to the poo you spew?
  • Reply 36 of 49

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

do you even pay attention to the poo you spew?

… Wait… what? 

Broke 700 yesterday in after-market trading, just like the article says.

• Reply 37 of 49
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A lower share price would definitely make it easier to trade covered options.

• Reply 38 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIA View Post

A lower share price would definitely make it easier to trade covered options.

Not many long-term investors bother with options (nor should they).

• Reply 39 of 49
    I want them to launch a satellite and take iPhone away from telecoms.
  • Reply 40 of 49

Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I want them to launch a satellite and take iPhone away from telecoms.

I wouldn't prefer that latency.