Holiday iPhone sales projected to reach 46.5M as pundits 'underestimate' Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Front camera on S3 monitors the user's face. When they look away, it dims the display. Superb idea.

I never have an issue with this, I don't move my lips when I read nor am I painfully slow, in that by the time I am moving to the next page or whatever, the screen has not had time to dim.

I notice that the SIII has taken some of the ideas from HTC Sense, such as Turn to mute, which was on my Cha Cha.

All in all the SIII is a very disappointing upgrade of the S2, they made the pentile screen a bit bigger and added a few pixels they also made it less infringing on Apple's design patents.

So will the S2 get the same software as the SIII with ICS and Jelly Bean updates or is Samsung fragmenting them, to distinguish two disappointingly similar phones?

• Reply 42 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

The reason people were underwhelmed is not the spec, but the lack of a brave new industrial design to get people pumped up and of course, move beyond the 1980s Sony design aesthetic of the 4 series iPhones.

Please fill us in on Sony products, from the eighties, which are designed anything at all like the iconic design of the iPhone 4/4S?

• Reply 43 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Please fill us in on Sony products, from the eighties, which are designed anything at all like the iconic design of the iPhone 4/4S?

Okay, I love my iphone, but for once the hater isn't really off.  I had a cassette tape Walkman that had a very similar design aesthetic in elementary school.  But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.  I have a newer Kodak digital camcorder with the same aesthetic that came before the iPhone 4. Fashion stylizing /=poor design

• Reply 44 of 47
    I think the biggest factor is simply WHEN are peoples' upgrades? Most people aren't going to drop $600-800 to have it a few months early. 

When? Every single day SOMEBODY is at the end of their contract.

If someone signed a contract on September 20, 2010.... they are ready to upgrade on September 20, 2012
    If someone signed a contract on September 21, 2010.... they are ready to upgrade on September 21, 2012
    If someone signed a contract on September 22, 2010.... they are ready to upgrade on September 22, 2012

And so on... and so on...

Basically there is never a day when people do not walk into their carrier store to get a new phone.

Verizon has over 100 million customers. There are 365 days a year... and 2 year contracts.

That means there are 137,000 people who are eligible for an upgrade every day. Or.... almost a million each week.

And that's just one carrier.

Bottom line... there are PLENTY of people who are eligible to upgrade any given day... without spending $600-800...
  • Reply 45 of 47
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Its a hard thing to predict. I think the tech pundits who are saying the iphone 5 will underperform or is not enough of an upgrade are either just blatantly stupid or are trying to force apples stock price down before the holiday quarter.

I think the Iphone 5 is an amazing phone and certainly would be a great phone to have for anyone in the market for a smartphone, I don't believe the design or features are boring or lacking in any way, however I think a concern that it will not exceed expectations is somewhat reasonable if looking at it from the correct view point.

I take my own situation as an example. I would love to own an Iphone 5, however I am under contract with my 4s, The Iphone 4s is a great phone, its not as great as the 5 but it does what I need it to do. The Iphone 5 provides some very nifty things in terms of design and power and performance, but I simply do not need these things enough to justify an early upgrade or even a regular upgrade. I upgraded from my 3g to the 4s because it was a significant upgrade and made a big difference in quality but that difference is simply not enough this time around.

That in no way means that I think the iphone 5 is a bad phone. I think its a fantastic phone and I hope apple does very well with it, I cannot be the only one though who, especially in this economy, simply cannot justify the price to upgrade from a 4s. I worry that in this case Apple making great products might work against them as you can only improve so much upon perfection.

• Reply 46 of 47

Originally Posted by ShelliZ View Post

Okay, I love my iPhone, but…

I just don't get it. If the argument is the truth, it should be able to stand on its own without these copy/pasted clichés. They wouldn't be typing this if they didn't have some other motivation.

• Reply 47 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just don't get it. If the argument is the truth, it should be able to stand on its own without these copy/pasted clichés. They wouldn't be typing this if they didn't have some other motivation.

You don't make any sense.  It's a grammatically correct sentence within the context of the conversation and the micro-cultural expectations between Apple users and non-users.