Entire Apple design team makes first-ever appearance to receive award

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sir Jonathan Ive and the entire 16-person Apple design team attended a prestigious award ceremony ? the first time they have ever done so ? to be named the best brand, and best design studio of the last 50 years.

Design team
Ive and the entire Apple design team at the D&AD awards. Photo via the London Evening Standard.

All 16 members of Apple's design team were on-hand at the D&AD awards dinner held at Evolution in Battersea Park in London on Tuesday, according to the London Evening Standard. It was said to be the first-ever time Apple's design team attended an award ceremony.

Joining all 16 members of his team was Ive, Apple's design chief, who declined to make any public comments. The team of 14 men and two women attended to receive one of the most prestigious awards in the advertising industry.

D&AD, or Design and Art Direction, is a British educational charity that promotes excellence in design and advertising. Its annual awards are considered to be a major event in the advertising and design world.

Tuesday's event was an even bigger deal than usual, as D&AD was celebrating its 50th anniversary by recognizing some of the best designers and advertisers of the last 50 years. Apple won the design award, while Collett Dickenson Pearce & Partners was named the best advertising agency of the last half-century.

Apple was the only company at this week's event to be recognized with two awards, according to DigitalArts.

A public appearance for Apple's design team is particularly unique, as Ive and his team are an especially unheard of group from a notoriously secretive company. A 2006 profile of Ive said that at the time he and his team worked in a large, secretive open studio that many Apple employees were not allowed to enter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    In the last fifty years?

Ain't that the truth.

Well done guys, and keep the beautiful creations flowing!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm sure Steve wanted them kept in the dark to avoid poaching ... but now ... who in their right mind would leave Apple? I guess if one were offered their own department at Google, Samsung or Microsoft ... hopefully they love working with Jony.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Congratulaions on a job extremely well done and very well deserved! Hopefully they not be poached away.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    I wonder what some of our lowlife regulars -- you know, the ones that go about Apple and design -- have to say about this.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    I am a huge fan of Apple industrial design few if any come anywhere near it but this awardjQuery181028273925208486617_1348058380162?? I would have given it to NASA.
  • Reply 6 of 60

Holy moly, that's the first ever recorded known picture of Jonathan Ive smiling! Congrats to the team!

• Reply 7 of 60
    Samsung: Memo to their design staff.

Everybody must now wear black.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sure Steve wanted them kept in the dark to avoid poaching ... but now ... who in their right mind would leave Apple? I guess if one were offered their own department at Google, Samsung or Microsoft ... hopefully they love working with Jony.
    Most of them have been there as long as Ive has and I think very few have left. But why would you unless you want to freelance. I'm guessing they make more money at Apple than they would on their own.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    tania wrote: »
    Holy moly, that's the first ever recorded known picture of Jonathan Ive smiling! Congrats to the team!
    Hes probably drunk. :lol:
  • Reply 10 of 60

Where is iOS 6??!!

• Reply 11 of 60

Take a good look, folks. That's the best in the industry in that photo.

• Reply 12 of 60

Can you please give us color phones like the iPod Touch?

• Reply 13 of 60
    Is that a French guy on the far left?
    I bet he'd slap the sh** out of you...Just because.
    Kudos. keep up the good work
    And um, the chicks in the front surrounding Ive. What big, black thing are they holding?
    Never mind!
  • Reply 14 of 60
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Boring. Innovate don't litigate. It's all just marketing. Kool Aid. Any others that people what to add?

• Reply 15 of 60
    sennen wrote: »
    Boring. Innovate don't litigate. It's all just marketing. Kool Aid. Any others that people what to add?
    The new nano's suck?
  • Reply 16 of 60
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Samsung: Memo to their design staff.

Everybody must now wear black.

Haha. There will be an upcoming Samsung PR campaign replete with photos of their "thousands of designers" dressed in black suits, discussing pebbles, drops of water, grains of sand etc. as design inspiration and so forth.

• Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aliceteo View Post

Can you please give us color phones like the iPod Touch?

Hrm, that picture shows another place Apple could use more color and variety.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Look at the picture, they are anti-minority and anti-women. Fandroid headline: Apple's all white design team wins award. /s

edit: yes there are two women and an asian. but they are token members! /s

• Reply 19 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Look at the picture, they are anti-minority and anti-women. Fandroid headline: Apple's all white design team wins award. /s

edit: yes there are two women and an asian. but they are token members! /s

Look, there's no reason to demean the people in the image.  That is, there's no reason to call them "token members" based on a picture.  Everyone in the picture could be insanely qualified and great designers.  In fact, that's likely the case.

But as I'd already pointed out, appearances do suggest the possibility of a little monoculturalism in that design team.  You can say n isn't big enough to draw any conclusions from that picture, but you're not convincing me that easily.

• Reply 20 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

Look, there's no reason to demean the people in the image.  That is, there's no reason to call them "token members" based on a picture.  Everyone in the picture could be insanely qualified and great designers.  In fact, that's likely the case.

But as I'd already pointed out, appearances do suggest the possibility of a little monoculturalism in that design team.  You can say n isn't big enough to draw any conclusions from that picture, but you're not convincing me that easily.

Perhaps you missed my sarcasm tag. :(