Apple to seek $3 billion in damages from Samsung - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118

OI! Cut out the ad-homs and get back to the original argument, if there even was one.

• Reply 62 of 118
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why would they do that? They already have the equivalent of Bell Labs working for them.

Not even close.   Nothing has been close to Bell Labs research (maybe IBM in it's hay-day.)

Apple has great R&D focused on their specific brand of technology.    Bell Labs was much more general and much more fundamental.   I don't see Apple's current R&D group winning nobel prizes in basic physics research.   They (Apple) have a great technology based R&D, but they are by no means a Bell Labs (of the 1920-1970 era.)

• Reply 63 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple should take that money -- if it's granted -- and create/fund something like Bell Labs with it.

Awesome idea!   Pure research...  far reaching and not limited to Apple's core business... but technology in general.   I like it.   I miss Bell Labs.

• Reply 64 of 118

I really feel sorry for some of you guys.

Being fan of something befogs your mind.

Good luck with that, and be careful with your pocket, the new "profit Apple" will get you.

• Reply 65 of 118
    More than the financial penalty put upon Samsung I am just gloating over what this means to Google's "gift" of Android to the world. If you want to beat Apple don't copy it, out design and out invent it.
  • Reply 66 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by criscoso View Post

Totally agree with IBM and MS.

Well, I wouldn't say Google hasn't innovate, and I'm not talking only about phones here.

You have checked Android? There are many things innovative, and some copied by Apple, as I can read in some post.

But, hey!, I you like the iPhone, it's ok, but I don't, and not because of its design or interface, but for the lack of freedom.

What I don't know is if Apple will innovate again without Steve Jobs, I'm sorry but he was the heart of Apple.

He knew when something was great or not, many others rejected the iPod idea, not originally from Apple btw.

I didn't say Google didn't innovate. You have to be kidding when you say "What I don't know is if Apple will innovate again without Steve Jobs". Apple is a huge company with Steve Jobs handpicked-people. They will be fine. They may not think like Jobs (no one does) but they have the collective skill to continue bring Apple forward.

• Reply 67 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? Apple is creating things like wifi, mobile telephony, transistors, lasers, satellites, TCP/IP, solar cells, digital computer, UNIX...... (to name just a few that come to mind offhand)?

Any evidence of this?

Yeah... and don't forget the 6 nobel prize winners Apple must having working for them... since they are basically like Bell Labs.   /s

• Reply 68 of 118

Fandroids should pay tribute to Apple every time that they turn on their phones. It could be billed directly to their cell plans, and a sum of something like 10 cents would go directly into Apple's account. 

And every single time that an Android company has been found guilty of stealing, a 3 day court ordered blackout of all Android phones would occur, meaning no phone connection, no data connection, etc.

• Reply 69 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fandroids should pay tribute to Apple every time that they turn on their phones. It could be billed directly to their cell plans, and a sum of something like 10 cents would go directly into Apple's account. 

And every single time that an Android company has been found guilty of stealing, a 3 day court ordered blackout of all Android phones would occur, meaning no phone connection, no data connection, etc.

Heck a 30 second blackout period,.... and they still wouldn't be able to operate their phones all day.

• Reply 70 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    philboogie wrote: »
    There is a problem when people with a single-digid IQ start to post.
    And I don't mean you pedromartins.

OMG ... A single digit IQ would really be a problem!
  • Reply 71 of 118
    analogjack wrote: »
    Wise of Apple to source other suppliers before Samsung files for bankruptcy.

It'll definitely hurt but I seriously doubt it'll put them out of business. Apple's motives is not to wipe them off the map but more for Samsung to make their own unique products and with the Galaxy Nexus and the SGS lll it seems like they're at least design wise going in that direction.
  • Reply 72 of 118
    iq78 wrote: »

Awesome idea!   Pure research...  far reaching and not limited to Apple's core business... but technology in general.   I like it.   I miss Bell Labs.

Hopefully they already have and it's internal and top secret. It would take a team to replace Steve's abilities to see the future products we don't know we want yet. I really hope they are hard at work as we speak deep underground at Apple HQ.
  • Reply 73 of 118
    [SIZE=18px]OI! Cut out the ad-homs and get back to the original argument, if there even was one.[/SIZE]

Hey! Who are you calling a Hom? /wink
  • Reply 74 of 118
    iq78 wrote: »

It still exists just not in the capacity it once did.
  • Reply 75 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I didn't say Google didn't innovate. You have to be kidding when you say "What I don't know is if Apple will innovate again without Steve Jobs". Apple is a huge company with Steve Jobs handpicked-people. They will be fine. They may not think like Jobs (no one does) but they have the collective skill to continue bring Apple forward.

Well, I'm not so sure about that, they are now like any other CO, they also have very good engineers.

But something has changed since Jobs passed away. They are focusing on profit.

They have discontinued MacBook Pro 17, and I have heard that they will do the same with the Mac Pro.

Professionals are been left behind, Apple loyal customers, and in the past, almost the only customers.

The future is on tablets, but this commercial move is wrong.

I will tell you when they do something else than making a bigger phone, a smaller/bigger tablet.

And retina Macs, well I don't see the real improvement, maybe I have to buy new glasses.

• Reply 76 of 118

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think Apple might prefer 10 cents for every "activation". Then we'll see how fast Google tries to backtrack that million per day.

Originally Posted by criscoso View Post

…I have heard that they will do the same with the Mac Pro.

You heard wrong. Cook explicitly stated that it is being updated.

I will tell you when they do something else than making a bigger phone, a smaller/bigger tablet.

Why do we care what you tell us? 

• Reply 77 of 118
    criscoso wrote: »

Well, history will tell.
    Big COs have their time, and then fall.
    Ask IBM or Microsoft.

Check again IBM is doing quite well.
  • Reply 78 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by criscoso View Post

Well, I'm not so sure about that, they are now like any other CO, they also have very good engineers.

They have discontinued MacBook Pro 17, and I have heard that they will do the same with the Mac Pro.

Professionals are been left behind, Apple loyal customers, and in the past, almost the only customers.

The future is on tablets, but this commercial move is wrong.

And retina Macs, well I don't see the real improvement, maybe I have to buy new glasses.

It's people like this that make one think you ought to have to have a license to post on the Internet.

• Reply 79 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Know your subject before making dumb statements. Apple has less than 20 percent of the smartphone market so antitrust lawsuit isn't possible.

You should take your own advice.  Market share is not the deciding factor when determining if a company engaged in antitrust activities.

Just look to the current Apple ebook price fixing lawsuit.

• Reply 80 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think Apple might prefer 10 cents for every "activation". Then we'll see how fast Google tries to backtrack that million per day.

You heard wrong. Cook explicitly stated that it is being updated.

Why do we care what you tell us? 

Good to hear about the Mac Pro update.

It was just an expression, not writing to you btw.