Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
iOS 6, the latest major update to Apple's mobile operating system, is now available as an over-the-air download on compatible devices, including the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, third-generation iPad, and iPad 2.

Users can update their device to iOS 6 by launching the Settings application, tapping "General," and then choosing "Software Update." From there, the download and installation process can begin directly on the device.

Alternatively, users can also download and install iOS 6 on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch by plugging it in to a Mac or Windows PC and launching iTunes.

iOS 6

"This update contains over 200 new features, including all new Apple-designed Maps, Siri features, Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams, Passbook, and more," Apple's official description reads.

iOS 6 was first unveiled by Apple in June at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. With it, Siri, can be used to launch applications, find sports scores, make dinner table reservations, and check movie times.

For an extensive look at new features and functionality, see AppleInsider's in-depth series Inside iOS 6, some highlights of which are included below:

How Apple's new vector-based Maps leave Google Maps looking jittery

Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

App Store, iTunes & iBook stores redesigned & improved in iOS 6

Nine auto makers partner with Apple for 'Eyes Free' Siri support

First look: iOS 6 Settings adds Do Not Disturb, quicker Bluetooth access

First look: iOS 6 brings Siri to iPad, adds Facebook integration

Comments

• Reply 1 of 148

"Stale. No new features. Except those features that Android has had for decades."

Guess the Apple TV will have to wait.

• Reply 2 of 148

No yet downloadable in Canada (at 1PM)

• Reply 3 of 148

it was available at 945 am for me, but i couldn't upgrade as I didn't have enough space on my phone, now trying to clear it up so I can upgrade... uggg

• Reply 4 of 148
    1 Hour Remaining? Geez, is this connected to DSL? Mine took 6 minutes to download.
  • Reply 5 of 148
    I'm not seeing it here in Canada.
  • Reply 6 of 148

Android has Siri now? Cool! LOL

• Reply 7 of 148

Not so fast! Not everybody can download it yet, including me.

Apple probably doesn't want hundreds of millions of people to be hitting their servers all at once.

• Reply 8 of 148
    I was teased! After I saw this I went to iTunes and clicked "Check for Update" and sure enough the dialog box opened saying there was an update available! When I clicked "Download and Install" nothing happened. I waited about 15 seconds and tried again and go the standard "5.1.1 is the current version" message.

Boo!

EDIT: After some more persistent clicking it's now downloading! (6 minutes to go, BTW...)
  • Reply 9 of 148
    Can someone who installs this update confirm the build number? Same as GM released last week?
  • Reply 10 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Not yet in Florida ...

My bad it is if I connect via iTunes. Woot!
  • Reply 11 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Weird. I plugged my iPhone into my office Mac which is not the machine it syncs with and it only gave me two choices: Set up as new phone or restore from back up. Neither of these choices are what I want so I guess I will download over the air. I thought I could get faster service bypassing the WiFi but I guess not.

Ok update: my phone still says 5.1.1 is up to date here in So Cal.

• Reply 12 of 148
    Yeah, mine is still showing "iOS 5.1.1 Your software is up to date." for my iPhone 4s and new iPad, either through OTA or iTunes...boo! Guess I can wait a little while longer :-)

Update: 1:05 EDT - it showed up!
  • Reply 13 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Weird. I plugged my iPhone into my office Mac which is not the machine it syncs with and it only gave me two choices: Set up as new phone or restore from back up. Neither of these choices are what I want so I guess I will download over the air. I thought I could get faster service bypassing the WiFi but I guess not.

Ok update: my phone still says 5.1.1 is up to date here in So Cal.

OTA updates should never be bigger than the iTunes ones, from what I understand.  Itunes updates are full updates, while OTA ones are partial at worst, full if totally necessary (which it probably will be for iOS6 I guess).

• Reply 14 of 148
    available but no wifi at work, what is the file size? might have to hit up a wifi network at lunch.
  • Reply 15 of 148

Mine just showed up too - About 9 minutes remaining. 

• Reply 16 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

available but no wifi at work, what is the file size? might have to hit up a wifi network at lunch.

iTunes is showing me the file is 887.6MB.

• Reply 17 of 148
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Any idea on whether Xcode 4.5 will be released today too?
  • Reply 18 of 148
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Build number confirmation would be nice as asked above.
  • Reply 19 of 148
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Doing my 4th gen ipod touch now.  Not going to do 3GS as it is already slow with 5.1.1

Sitting at 70 minutes....  :(

• Reply 20 of 148
    Nothing here yet in NYC.

I guess it's that whole "Saving The Best For Last" thing, you know ....

*sniff*