Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integration

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
On the heels of the release of iOS 6, Apple has also publicly issued OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2, a major update featuring system-wide Facebook integration for the Mac.

With OS X 10.8.2, users can sign on in one place for Facebook, and Facebook will appear as an option when sharing links and photos. In addition, Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures will appear in Contacts, and notifications from the social networking site will appear in Notification Center.

OS X 10.8.2 is available as a free update for Mountain Lion owners through the Mac App Store. A restart is required once the software has been installed.

Other features of OS X 10.8.2 highlighted by Apple are:

Game Center
  • Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail or Messages
  • Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
  • Facebook Like button for games
  • Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement
Other new features
  • Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
  • iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
  • From Safari and Mail on your Mac you can add passes to Passbook on your iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 6
  • New shared Reminders lists
  • FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number
  • New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
  • Dictation now supports Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian, English, Canadian French, and Italian.
  • The Dictionary application now includes a French definition dictionary
  • Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to contacts
In addition, OS X 10.8.2 also includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. Fixes include:
  • An option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save As
  • Unsent drafts are opened automatically when launching Mail
  • Receive Twitter notifications for mentions and replies from anyone
  • URLs are shortened when sending tweets from Notification Center
  • Notifications are disabled when AirPlay Mirroring is being used
  • SSL support for Google searches from the Smart Search Field in Safari
  • New preference to have Safari launch with previously open webpages

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Check out this comment!

Facebook integration? Oh, holiest of WHO CARES???

• Reply 2 of 66

YAY Facebook!  Really looking forward to that.

• Reply 3 of 66

365.42 MB. That's certainly more than 7. Why am I afraid that's mainly useless FaceBook crap, since this is a delta update?

Remember the 802.11n activator utility that was $2 until a certain OS update? I'll gladly pay $2 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2… 

• Reply 4 of 66
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac

--This was really starting to annoy me. Glad it's fixed...hopefully.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    10.7.5 and a Snow Leopard security update have also been released.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Awesome, I thought my 2010 MacBook Air would have been left out of PowerNap. Glad to see they included support for it in this update!
  • Reply 7 of 66

Let's see, 365 Mb for Facebook integration. Nothing like increasing the possible risk of privacy issues and/or identity theft integrating Facebook into the OS. Seems as if Apple is starting to follow majorcrap in loading questionable features into the OS based on perceived needs. Not a good move. I'm putting out the safety cones and giving this update a wide berth, which is about as useful as styrofoam windchimes.

• Reply 8 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

365.42 MB. That's certainly more than 7. Why am I afraid that's mainly useless FaceBook crap, since this is a delta update?

Remember the 802.11n activator utility that was $2 until a certain OS update? I'll gladly pay $2 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2… 

Same here.

• Reply 9 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    80025 wrote: »
    Let's see, 365 Mb for Facebook integration. Nothing like increasing the possible risk of privacy issues and/or identity theft integrating Facebook into the OS. Seems as if Apple is starting to follow majorcrap in loading questionable features into the OS based on perceived needs. Not a good move. I'm putting out the safety cones and giving this update a wide berth, which is about as useful as styrofoam windchimes.

Then don't use Facebook and don't set it up.

10.8.2 includes more than FB integration.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Mountain Lion and iOS 6 releasing about the same time? Somewhere, a computer server weeps...
  • Reply 11 of 66
    54 is the build number.
  • Reply 12 of 66

Facebook is not for me...but my daughter uses it a lot as I imagine a lot of younger people do.

To me, Facebook killed iWeb a program I use for my real estate business! :(

• Reply 13 of 66

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then don't use Facebook and don't set it up.

Still shows up all across the UI. There's no reason for that.

• Reply 14 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll gladly pay $2 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2… 

will gladly meet your $2 and even raise it to a "decent" $5 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2…

• Reply 15 of 66

I like the technology of allowing Facebook integration, and it would be great if there were a non-datamined social networking site that ONLY shared with people I wanted contact with. So I'd prefer a private garden in the iCloud rather than a zoo full of peeping toms that is Facebook.

Seriously, the best business model I can think of in the next few years is a company that, for a fee, would poison all your social data with random junk such that any datamining about you would be useless.

Just imagine every criminal organization, evil extra governmental group, and of course, sleazy spam marketer getting to pour over all your relationships and know what you click on when you think nobody is looking. They probably know more about you if they cared to, than your mother.

I mean, why bother securing your computer if you integrate Facebook? Sounds like I'm going to create a fake identity just so I can live in this Social Medial always realm. Meet "Gandolf Honey Boo Boo".

• Reply 16 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    LLLL

Still shows up all across the UI. There's no reason for that.

But that's simply a UI issue. You are not connected and there are no security issues. So complaining about Facebook being insecure is irrelevant. If you don't like to see the Facebook icon when you right click on things, that's a legitimate reason. Security is not.
  • Reply 17 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by a2gsg View Post

will gladly meet your $2 and even raise it to a "decent" $5 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2…

I'd buy that improved OS for $20.

Maybe Apple can make a business model out of auctioning off "improvements" -- you know, like how the corporate farmers like Monsanto who brought us GM food that was so awesome, people pay a premium just to have "Organic food" that is exactly like the food before they came around to improve it.

So I'll have an "Organic" Mountain Lion please, or maybe we could call it "Classic" -- of course that could be confusing since we just got through the training wheels of "carbon."

• Reply 18 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Anybody know if this does anything towards Photostream Sharing? iPhoto updates required/coming?

Curious to see how this feature integrates with iOS 6.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    The absolute last thing in the world I want is system-wide Facebook integration. Or system-wide Twitter integration or anything else really.

Do you really want social media sites to know everything you do on your Mac?
    Do you really want every website and app developer to have access to your social media profiles?

I don't.
  • Reply 20 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But that's simply a UI issue. You are not connected and there are no security issues. So complaining about Facebook being insecure is irrelevant. If you don't like to see the Facebook icon when you right click on things, that's a legitimate reason. Security is not.

I have to disagree with you here. The greatest weakness of any machine security is the user. By making Social Media so integrated, it's just a right click away to share things -- it's imbedding the worst spy that will broadcast your data to whomever will pay into the user experience.

I don't want Grandma being so casual with Facebook. I want it to be easy -- but we could have an APP FOR THAT. Or at least put a "gatekeeper" between the ease and integration, and what gets broadcast and tracked.

But seriously, Apple needs to be putting options for OTHER social media groups -- or perhaps build their own. Money is dear to me now, but I'd pay $10 per year to use something like Facebook without being exposed like I would be using Facebook.