Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung has again taken aim at Apple fanatics with its latest advertisement, lampooning both those who wait in line at Apple stores as well as the soon-to-be-released iPhone 5.

As with previous commercials from Samsung, the latest spot one again takes jabs at Apple users as well as the company's products. Samsung is promoting its Galaxy S III handset with the tagline "The next big thing is already here."

In the latest commercial, customers are shown waiting in line for what is clearly meant to be Apple's iPhone 5, though the product is never mentioned by name. Customers are shown calling the device a "precious jewel," and expressing excitement that the headphone jack will be on the bottom of the iPhone 5.

Particular attention is paid to the new, smaller Lightning connector Apple has introduced with the iPhone 5. In Samsung's ad, Apple line-waiters proclaim that the Lightning port is "all digital," but admit they do not know what that means.

iPhone 5 buyers are also seen talking about how an adapter is needed to use the Lightning port with legacy accessories, but one person says that Apple makes "the coolest adapters."

Those in line encounter Samsung's latest flagship Android handset, the Galaxy S III, and features of that device are shown off or touted. In one example, two users on the street exchange music playlists via NFC by touching their phones together.

The commercial also notes that the Galaxy S III has a larger display than the 4-inch screen on the iPhone 5, and that Samsung's handset had 4G LTE connectivity before Apple.

iPhone 5

Samsung's quickly made ad, arriving just a week after the iPhone 5 was unveiled, is clearly intended to attempt to take away some of the buzz and momentum Apple has ahead of this Friday's iPhone 5 launch. Apple announced this week that it sold a record number of more than 2 million preorders in the first 24 hours of availability of the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 148
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It has already been established that Samsung marketing people are idiots. Do they need to keep reinforcing that image?
  • Reply 2 of 148
    And yet, NOBODY waits in line for Samsung phones.
  • Reply 3 of 148

thank you samsung!

a quicklook at apple sales figures just proves the adage:

every knock is a boost,  and apple accepts the advertising.

• Reply 4 of 148
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    YAWN.

That's so last year Samsung. Your lack of originality is showing again.

Their whole anti-Apple ad campaigns are funny only in the sense they just scream desperation on Samsung's part. They're clearly terrified by iPhone 5, as they should be.
  • Reply 5 of 148

Dear mother of frick. It's basically a list of all the trolls' arguments.That proves one of two things (and maybe both):

1. Samsung is paying more trolls than they've been discovered to have paid.

2. Trolls actually believe the crap they spew.

• Reply 6 of 148
    Low life ... No class marketting.. Typical of samsung.

Lets see why did they ommit.. Iphone 5 faster.. Lighter... Thinner... Longer battery life... More ergonomic... Ecosys ligth years ahead...

Selective low life desperate bs.

Wonder why apple does not tash samsung in their adds..
    Simple. They have class and they dont need to trash talk someone else to sell their product.

Samsung is loosing respect on daily basis.
  • Reply 7 of 148
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Samsung sucks... and squirts!
  • Reply 8 of 148
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Haha, that commercial is a huge fail. It will also fail to sway anybody away from getting the new iPhone.

The only people who could possibly like that commercial are the people who made it and some moronic Fandroids.

I also read that the GS4 is going to be even larger than the GS3. If that's true, then all I can say is LOL! image

• Reply 9 of 148

Is any one else puzzled why someone would mock the customers they are trying to woo away from the competition?  I mean are they trying to shame people into buying their product?  I know some of this must be a cultural miss match, but I can't imagine any more incompetent way to go about this.  

• Reply 10 of 148

But only Apple has the App Store.  I hope Sony sues you next for copying their TVs.

• Reply 11 of 148
    This ad is full of cheap stabs, blatant misdirection, and deception.
  • Reply 12 of 148

Once more Samsung fails to innovate...

This is essentially the same advert as last year and they obviously still have nothing good to say about their own products as they still have to focus so hard on bashing the opposition.... 

It was said last year but still applies - how is poking fun at potential customers and calling them names ever likely to make them want to buy your stuff?

• Reply 13 of 148

Samsung logic: To show how lame the iPhone is do an ad campaign all about how many people are willing to wait in line for it.

• Reply 14 of 148
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Is any one else puzzled why someone would mock the customers they are trying to woo away from the competition?  I mean are they trying to shame people into buying their product?  I know some of this must be a cultural miss match, but I can't imagine any more incompetent way to go about this.  

It's especially strange given an Asian cultural background. In general, Asian cultures respect fitting in with the crowd and not doing anything to draw attention to yourself. In that culture, the people who are buying the phone "that everyone else wants" would be respected, not maligned.
  • Reply 15 of 148
    The ad is meant to be simple to understand, it actually does what is intended which is to lure away customers who like simplicity, apple's number one casual consumer base. The hardcore will never switch from watching an ad like this, it'll just irritate them.
  • Reply 16 of 148
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Samsung is copying the Apple Mac Guy vs PC Guy commercials.

But they didn't quite copy it correctly, and instead of attacking the PC, they are attacking the people. I guess that nuance was lost in translation. Too funny.
  • Reply 17 of 148
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

This ad is full of cheap stabs, blatant misdirection, and deception.

To me it seems this ad is more targeted at Apple itself than getting people to buy their Galaxy phone. If you notice they spend 90% of the time talking about Apple and the iPhone. They think they are sticking it to Apple. They don't know that they are doing Apple HUGE favor! They will let more people know about the iPhone 5

????

• Reply 18 of 148

Sorry Sammy, I'm not sold....I could be in line and just say "It's too big to fit comfortably in 1 hand or my pocket."  Plus, I will be in an Apple Store soon where I can get exceptional customer service and receive every imaginable inquiry on any Apple products, accessories, upgrades, tech support, etc......can you do that for me too Samsung???

• Reply 19 of 148
    Hello potential customer. You are stupid. Try our phone!
  • Reply 20 of 148
    Apple should make an ad making fun of people waiting in line for Samsung phones...wait...no one EVER does that.