Fox News affiliate says iPhone 5 features 'laser keyboard,' holograms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a short piece relating to the upcoming launch of Apple's iPhone 5, Fox News incorrectly reported that the handset boasted a number of outlandish features, such as a "laser keyboard" and holographic projection.

The apparent gaffe from Fox's New York affiliate mistakenly cited Aatma Studio's 2011 video "iPhone 5 Concept Features" (via TUAW) as source material for the story, stating the fictional device's futuristic features will be arriving with the real iPhone this Friday.

Being an artistic rendering of what would become the iPhone 4S, Apple's fifth-generation handset, the video presented an incredibly flat device with an enlarged edge-to-edge display.

Among the many faked features was an interactive color projection of a QWERTY keyboard that a Fox correspondent incorrectly referred to as a "laser keyboard." A similar but far less advanced product does actually exist, however the device is relatively large and does not render color images as does the concept.

Also included in the fake iPhone's spec sheet was a hologram projector built into the bottom of the phone that apparently uses another bit of future technology. Current state-of-the-art non-screen holographic projection systems leverage high-powered lasers to excite plasma in the air, a process that has not yet been perfected and yields only monochrome images at frame rates far less than required for comfortable viewing.

While the report doesn't appear to be a fabrication, it is unclear how the segment slipped by producers, staff and even reporters, especially given the fairly wide mainstream media coverage of recent major Apple product launches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    "While the report doesn't appear to be a fabrication, it is unclear how the segment slipped by producers, staff and even reporters, especially given the fairly wide mainstream media coverage of recent major Apple product launches."

To understand this story, you also need to understand that Fox News has had a problem with the truth for a number of years. Think of Fox News as Fox Entertainment and you'll understand why truth is so elusive for this network.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa
  • Reply 3 of 17

It's Fox News - it's surprising they got the name of the phone right and didn't use it as a justification to attack Iran.  But finer details of that networks reporting aside, I'd be in line as well if it had a laser keyboard and holographic projector!

• Reply 4 of 17

Wow. Just wow.  But not really surprising.  Now when Fox viewers find out the iPhone 5 doesn't have those features, they can blame it on Obama.

• Reply 5 of 17
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

LMAO!!! Stay classy, Fox :)

• Reply 6 of 17

I sort of want to just move this to PoliticalOutsider right now… 

• Reply 7 of 17
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

The only thing worse would be to quote The Onion.  Oh, wait...

• Reply 8 of 17
    That was awesome. Hilarious.

Get that woman onstage for the next WWDC to introduce some new products.
  • Reply 9 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I sort of want to just move this to PoliticalOutsider right now… 

Why? If it had been CNN it would have been used to explain how embracing Sharia while promoting feminism isn't a contradiction. Fox just has the opposite over-the-top slant. In any case, it's a great example of the vetting that most stories get.

But I totally stand by being willing to get in line for a phone with those specs. :)

• Reply 10 of 17

For the sake of clarity it's a local FOX station reporting and not the FOX News channel. I'm sure the previous posters were fully aware of it, else many of their comments would be... well untruthful.

• Reply 11 of 17

Samsung is scratching it's head right now wondering how they can copy Apple's laser keyboard and holographic display into the GS IV

• Reply 12 of 17
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Why would anyone believe anything that Faux News says, anyway?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    The were mistaking it for the Samsung Galaxy III with its S-Beam lasers and what not.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd say it points to how clueless, if not amazingly lacking in any scientific knowledge, the people that worked on the story at Fox were. It does explain a lot though.
  • Reply 15 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmindz36 View Post

For the sake of clarity it's a local FOX station reporting and not the FOX News channel. I'm sure the previous posters were fully aware of it, else many of their comments would be... well untruthful.

Oh I'm certain they are completely unaware of the difference between a local Fox affiliate news broadcast, and the subscription cable news entity Fox News, just like a local NBC affiliate's news broadcast has absolutely nothing to do with MSNBC. That's the level of intelligence I've come to expect from anyone that spells it "Faux News."

• Reply 16 of 17
    If you watch Fox News you may as well be getting your information from the Onion.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    That local Fox station was the New York station (Channel 5) and probably has as many viewers as all of Fox News.

I happened to see this report when it was broadcast and first I thought, "wow..that iPhone5 is a lot thinner than I thought it was going to be," but when I saw the holographic projection and the virtual keyboard, I realized they had accidentally picked up some concept video, but I was still totally shocked at how stupid an error this was. What I'd love to know is whether some wise-ass intern put the report together or whether they simply don't bother to fact check anything anymore because facts are not important to any division of Fox Broadcasting.

If they can't get something simple like this right, how can they possibly get the complex world of politics and global issues correct?