Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters

Comments

• Reply 81 of 148

In the meantime the advertising firm responsible for this commercial is raking tons of money thanks to the zillion of viewers watching it out of spite. Which of course would encourage Samsung to make more of this ads.

Just ignore it people.

• Reply 82 of 148
    mac.world wrote: »
    Samsung sold 9 million pre ordered S3's (20 million in 3 months), along with all its other Android and Window phones (something like 52 million last quarter. Apple barely sold that in the last 2 quarters, and that combines all sales of 3gs, 4 and 4s.) I bet Apple wishes they could sell as many phones.

Yeah... Apple is the plucky underdog.

By your metric... Samsung has already "won"

So what's with these ads then? Why kick someone when they're down?
  • Reply 83 of 148

Apple is expected to sell 56 million iPhone 5's before Christmas. That's more than Samsung's total sales figures with only one model.

• Reply 84 of 148
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple is expected to sell 56 million iPhone 5's before Christmas. That's more than Samsung's total sales figures with only one model.

Hey welcome to the forum with that post. Lots of new posters here lately seem to be on Samsung's payroll.
  • Reply 85 of 148
    I'll take that as a compliment!

FOG

Lol. It was a compliment.
  • Reply 86 of 148

I think that figure was 56 million iPhones, all various iterations combined not just the 5.
  • Reply 87 of 148
    macnewsjunkie ... apparently they are using the Mitt Romney playbook
  • Reply 88 of 148

First the newspaper advert, and now this. This does not make me want to buy a Galaxy S3, it just makes me dislike Samsung more for trying to make out that people who buy iPhones are idiots or old people. Are they trying to pander to their lunatic trolls now? the people that claim Samsung are the only innovators based upon the fact the S3 has a bigger screen, and the galaxy note (which is an S3 with an even bigger screen) has a stylus.

I am waiting for the Galaxy S4. Because Samsung cannot simply increase the screensize to make their device look like a 'huge leap'. They would enter their Galaxy Notes territory.

The only idiots I see in that TV ad are those who would pay for a smartphone thats made out of thinner plastic than a milk carton (similar quality too).

• Reply 89 of 148

<snip> double post

• Reply 90 of 148

I'm pro-Apple and pretty much anti-Samsung. I thought the ad was hilarious. Esp, when the older parents showed up for their spot in line - ouch! And almost everyone here bitterly commenting against Samsung just seem to be arrogant haters, and maybe a little too close to the Apple caricature line-waiters.

• Reply 91 of 148
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

The ad is meant to be simple to understand, it actually does what is intended which is to lure away customers who like simplicity, apple's number one casual consumer base. The hardcore will never switch from watching an ad like this, it'll just irritate them.

Sorry I have to disagree. This is a Samsung preemptive measure to try to limit the number of defectors from their platform to Apple. If you were trying to lure customers away from Apple, insulting them as stupid line waiters is not an effective means of accomplishing that.

I think this is correct.  Samsung is saying to their customers that if they defect to Apple, people will mock them.  We have seen several posters on this forum go to great lengths to make clear that, even though they have owned dozens of Apple products, they are most assuredly NOT fanboys.  There absolutely exists a group of people who think so little of themselves that they can be influenced by the threat of being mocked by others for something as insignificant to their true identity as their choice of mobile phone.

• Reply 92 of 148
    This is a good ad. It'll reinforce the views of their buyers with a veneereal* disease and could easily sway those on the fence that don't understand the finer points of their technically truthful but not ethically honest advert.

Case in point, Samsung notes they've had LTE for "while". Sure, that's true but it's in absolutely huge phones using huge chips that eat a huge amount of battery when it's on. What makes the ad good is that you can't easily explain that to the average person and have them understand. I think many will only understand after the fact.

Not that it ultimately matters since most of what Apple does have never been easily put on a spec sheet and they're so far ahead of the pack because of these intangible aspects. The fact that many are intangible and therefore can't be put into a spreadsheet for accountants to crunch is likely why others are not following Apple's un-patentable excellence.

The one part of the ad that fails miserably is its attempt to paint Apple products as "uncool." It's not easy to maintain being cool YoY while still being the biggest and most popular name in an industry. There are very few examples of this sort of achievement and I can't think of any of them in technology.

* [SIZE=2]As in people that can only see the very surface of something without understanding any finer points. [I]Id est,[/I] those that lack critical thinking skills.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 93 of 148
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You know this is really getting old. I hope it starts backfiring on Samsung. If only HTC and Nokia would give them a bit of competition.
  • Reply 94 of 148
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    CNET showed the iphone 5 on CNBC this morning.   The more I see people handling it the more I love the phone.  From the reaction of someone who took it, the iphone 5 feels very light.

You can see the video here:
    http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000117023&play=1
    I think there definitely is a market for smaller phones. Not everyone wants a freaking huge phone. I was expecting more pre-release reviews to complain about the smaller display but not many did (CNet listed it as a "con"). I think Android & Windows OEM's are making a mistake going so big. People want thinner and lighter. And with tech improvements you can get good battery life in smaller form factors.
  • Reply 95 of 148
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I disagree. Samsung isn't hypocritical. In fact, they're quite consistent - they believe that it's OK to steal ALL intellectual property.

Google for using "concerns over piracy" as a reason for forcing Acer to withdraw the launch of an Aliyun based handset.

Apparently Samsung allows the sharing of music via NFC and advertise it as a feature, with Google and the Open Handset Alliance's approval.

As usual Google shows it has no interest in protecting people's work, until it comes to their own stuff.

• Reply 96 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Apple, just for fun, could turn the tables and depict a scene where exactly one person, looking lonely, waits outside a phone vendor's shop for the next BIG Android phone, and while waiting he drops his cheapo plastic Samsung and it shatters.

• Reply 97 of 148
    It is insane to mock people you want to buy your phone. Is their marketing firm working on the Romney campaign?
  • Reply 98 of 148

No politics, please.

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

{video}

Phones break when you drop them. Don't drop your phone. Crying out loud.

• Reply 99 of 148
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Samsung Facebook campaign backfires! Samsung are idiots and Fandroids are losers.

• Reply 100 of 148
    I'm pro-Apple and pretty much anti-Samsung. I thought the ad was hilarious. Esp, when the older parents showed up for their spot in line - ouch! And almost everyone here bitterly commenting against Samsung just seem to be arrogant haters, and maybe a little too close to the Apple caricature line-waiters.

I'm pro Apple (typing this on a new iPad), pro Samsung (just got a new Galaxy S3 which I absolutely love), and pro any other competitor which offers me an excellent product that fulfills a consumer electronics niche. Fact is Apple needs Samsung and Samsung needs Apple. Competition creates excellence!