List of Passbook supported apps appears in iOS 6 App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Have you not watched the Keynote or read about Passbook? Passbook uses your location and will pop up whichever card you need automatically when you are in range of where you need to use it. Example, if you go to a starbucks location, your starbucks card will be waiting for you on your screen when you get near it. Not sure why you would need to scroll through multiple cards since you can only be at one store at a time lol.

So if that was the case, it shouldn't have an icon or behave as a standalone app at all. You shouldn't even be seeing a column of partial cards ever. You shouldn't be able to touch them and see more information.

Since it isn't, and since not all stores will ever be geofenced, and since Passbook is designed for use manually just as much as it is "automatically", I think my point is valid.

If a person was going to lug their iPad around to make payments at stores why not just say screw Passbook all together and continue carrying a wallet and keychain?

How is that an argument? The iPad can't be carried around for other things, too? People don't carry iPads at all unless they want to replace their wallets?

• Reply 21 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Ahh, I thought this stuff was automatic. What's the point if I have to go into the app anyway to send it over to Passbook?

Because it's much easier to have to grab your wallet or keychain for tickets or store cards EVERY TIME you go to the store or movies then set passbook up one time......

• Reply 23 of 77

I hope staples app will integrate into this for their coupons and such. It was a pain to go into the app log in scroll through and find the coupons i had. If it was in one place especially on the lock screen would have saved time and convenience.

• Reply 24 of 77
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Ahh, I thought this stuff was automatic. What's the point if I have to go into the app anyway to send it over to Passbook?

From the demo, it is automatic, but you still have to link it to Passbook. I certainly don't want any app I install popping up with messages for, say, coupons just because I'm in the vicinity of various stores. It needs to be selective. When I'm at Dodger's Stadium it need to pop up. When I'm in Starbucks it needs to pop up. It also need to have an app so I can locate them easily if I dismiss something accidentally, want to see what's connected, or read information, like a flight itinerary, as some things have expiration dates.
  • Reply 25 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So if that was the case, it shouldn't have an icon or behave as a standalone app at all. You shouldn't even be seeing a column of partial cards ever. You shouldn't be able to touch them and see more information.

Since it isn't, and since not all stores will ever be geofenced, and since Passbook is designed for use manually just as much as it is "automatically", I think my point is valid.

How is that an argument? The iPad can't be carried around for other things, too? People don't carry iPads at all unless they want to replace their wallets?

You do have a valid point and I do understand that not all stores will be geofenced, but how will you know which stores won't be before you get there? And since a person won't know before they get there, do you they are more likely to have an iPhone or an iPad with them in the store??? I'll put my money on an iPhone. My point is that a person is way less likely to have an iPad with them going to the store, movies, concert, theme park etc....the airport is a different story. It would also be different if it's a location that you frequent a lot like a local store or shop that you know isn't geofenced, but what else besides that? I'm not saying there wouldn't ever be times for it, but I don't think the frequency of it would be often enough to put all the work into supporting it on the iPad.

Also, I think it's a very valid argument. The iPad is carried around for a lot of things, and I understand that everyone that has an iPad doesn't necessarily have an iPhone....but to me, to carry around a 7.8 OR 9.7 inch iPad as a way to "conveniently" pay for things is kind of an oxymoron lol. Seems it would much easier to remain using a wallet.

• Reply 26 of 77
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    You do have a valid point and I do understand that not all stores will be geofenced, but how will you know which stores won't be before you get there? And since a person won't know before they get there, do you they are more likely to have an iPhone or an iPad with them in the store??? I'll put my money on an iPhone. My point is that a person is way less likely to have an iPad with them going to the store, movies, concert, theme park etc....the airport is a different story. It would also be different if it's a location that you frequent a lot like a local store or shop that you know isn't geofenced, but what else besides that? I'm not saying there wouldn't ever be times for it, but I don't think the frequency of it would be often enough to put all the work into supporting it on the iPad.

Also, I think it's a very valid argument. The iPad is carried around for a lot of things, and I understand that everyone that has an iPad doesn't necessarily have an iPhone....but to me, to carry around a 7.8 OR 9.7 inch iPad as a way to "conveniently" pay for things is kind of an oxymoron lol. Seems it would much easier to remain using a wallet.
    Agreed 100%
  • Reply 27 of 77

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

You do have a valid point and I do understand that not all stores will be geofenced, but how will you know which stores won't be before you get there? And since a person won't know before they get there, do you they are more likely to have an iPhone or an iPad with them in the store??? I'll put my money on an iPhone.

That's why you bring a device with Passbook with you regardless of where you go, and that's why Passbook has a manual UI to it instead of just being automatic. Whether it be an iPhone or iPad. People have iPads when they're out and about, even when they're not traveling.

So you can have a coupon for Lowe's in Passbook, and go to Menards to get the price honored. You're not at Lowe's, so the coupon isn't going to pop up automatically; you have to go to Passbook and touch it manually. Say it's on your iPad. Then you can switch over to the home design software you have on it with the addition you'd like to add to your house that you've had drawn up.

That the iPad is not a valid replacement for payment methods alone does not mean it shouldn't have that ability whatsoever.

• Reply 28 of 77
    Visit this site with your iOS device and from there you can create fake coupons to test the Passbook app:

http://www.passsource.com
  • Reply 29 of 77

FYI guys, PassSource.com is not the answer... That's a site targeted to developers to create test-passes.

• Reply 30 of 77
    Man why no Passbook, no panorama app for the new iPad? it makes no sense.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    ttlkurtis wrote: »
    FYI guys, PassSource.com is not the answer... That's a site targeted to developers to create test-passes.

No way! I've just made passes for CVS and Starbucks. I've gone months with having this app be empty and today I have two very attractive and easily made passes because someone made a template and posted it on passsource.com
  • Reply 32 of 77

Target is update to support it. I have my coupons (well, what is available, all stuff I won't use, but wanted to try it out) in Passbook now...

• Reply 33 of 77
    That's why you bring a device with Passbook with you regardless of where you go, and that's why Passbook has a manual UI to it instead of just being automatic. Whether it be an iPhone or iPad. People have iPads when they're out and about, even when they're not traveling.

So you can have a coupon for Lowe's in Passbook, and go to Menards to get the price honored. You're not at Lowe's, so the coupon isn't going to pop up automatically; you have to go to Passbook and touch it manually. Say it's on your iPad. Then you can switch over to the home design software you have on it with the addition you'd like to add to your house that you've had drawn up.

That the iPad is not a valid replacement for payment methods alone does not mean it shouldn't have that ability whatsoever.

Even Jony Ive said it. The iPhone is the one device you have on you all the time. The iPad doesn't even come close to fitting that bill no matter how much YOU personally use it.

I have an iPhone, iPad, and a MacBook Air. The iPhone is with me 24-7, the iPad leaves the house on personal trips, visits to family, etc. The MacBook Air only leaves the house on business trips.

When I go shopping, why would I carry my iPad? If I'm going to a concert, why would I carry my iPad? If I'm going to the movies, why would I carry my iPad? In all of those cases, my iPhone is in my pocket, always with me.

If you were to stop 100 people on the street in any major city, I'm sure that most all would have a phone of some sort on them. How many do you think would have an iPad? I'm sure Apple did their research on this matter.

Now of course, there may be some instances where I might have my iPad with me where I could use PassBook (airport), but I'd also have my iPhone as well. And the iPhone makes more sense anyway, especially going through security checkpoints. My iPad stays tucked in my bag until I get to my gate.

Now I COMPLETELY understand your point that perhaps the iPad should have the ability, and Apple may in fact introduce it at a later date. But from a pure logical perspective based on what devices someone is likely to have with them when they would make a PassBook transaction, an iPhone makes A LOT more sense as the first target device.
  • Reply 34 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

go to http://www.passsource.com

What is this? A fraudulent pass creator?

• Reply 35 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No way! I've just made passes for CVS and Starbucks. I've gone months with having this app be empty and today I have two very attractive and easily made passes because someone made a template and posted it on passsource.com

Perhaps so, but it's not the official solution people are asking for.

• Reply 36 of 77

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Even Jony Ive said it. The iPhone is the one device you have on you all the time. The iPad doesn't even come close to fitting that bill no matter how much YOU personally use it.

If my iPad is the device I have with me all the time, then, by definition, it fits the bill of being the device that I have on me all the time.

I won't deny that the iPhone is more portable, but that also means the iPad should never have received cameras or 3G if it's not meant to be taken with you places that such features would be used. 

There should be parity. As the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have Photo Booth, so should the iPad have Passbook.

• Reply 37 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Passbook should definitely be for the iPad too! There are people who do have their iPads with them in their bags/knapsacks and to say that people shouldn't use an iPad whenever they want to, is frankly a retarded comment.

Last time I was at an airport, I was surfing on an iPad, not an iPhone, and who's to say that I can't have my ticket and show it on the iPad instead? And besides, Passbook works for the iPod Touch, so why no iPad? 

Panorama should also be for the iPad! Otherwise, why bother to build cameras into the iPad? 

If there is some sort of technical reason, then fine, but if there's not, then that is just plain dumb.

• Reply 38 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If my iPad is the device I have with me all the time, then, by definition, it fits the bill of being the device that I have on me all the time.

I understand that. But Apple made this decision for a reason, and I for the most part agree with it. The iPhone/iPod touch are highly portable devices and can serve as a wallet replacement. The iPad can perform the same tasks, but it's just not as convenient for everyday transactions (just like I'd rather swipe my debit card than carry around a checkbook). I don't think that anyone is arguing that it's not possible to use the iPad as a passbook device, but you'd look pretty silly walking up to the Target cash register to pay with an iPad. 

Quote:

I won't deny that the iPhone is more portable, but that also means the iPad should never have received cameras or 3G if it's not meant to be taken with you places that such features would be used. 

You can add the proverbial kitchen sink to a device that has enough room to fit it, but you can't shrink an iPad down to the point where you could stick it in your pants pocket and carry it on you all the time without the need to put it in a bag or lug it around in a purse -- that's where the iPhone/iPod touch come in.

Quote:

There should be parity. As the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have Photo Booth, so should the iPad have Passbook.

You can always add an external camera to a Mac Mini or Mac Pro.

But again, I totally get your point. There's nothing physically or software wise that should stop the iPad from getting PassBook. It's just that the iPad defeats the purpose of an "eWallet"

• Reply 39 of 77
    I don't think passbook does anything yet. Why release it if it doesn't do anything? Maybe I'm missing something here.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Here is a tutorial that walks you step-by-step how to get Passbook working. It uses the free Walgreens and Fandango apps. It works perfectly!
    http://blog.jeff-owens.com/iphone/passbook/