Some iOS 6 users reportedly suffering from Wi-Fi issues [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just hours after Apple released iOS 6 to the public on Wednesday, users are already complaining of Wi-FI connectivity issues on the company's Support Communities website, possibly stemming from a network verification system flaw.

Update: Apple has quickly resolved the issue by reactivating the webpage iOS 6 uses for network verification purposes.

iOS 6 Wi-Fi Issue

A number of AppleInsider readers have reported a "page not found" error when trying to browse in Safari on iOS 6. While the exact cause of the connectivity issues is unknown, it seems the problem started sometime after Apple rolled out the new mobile OS, as multiple reports poured in at nearly the same time.

It appears the problem is rooted in how iOS 6 handles network verification. In order to test whether an accessible Wi-Fi connection is present, Safari is led to a special page, which apparently has gone down.

Currently, Apple's Support Communities site has a 6-page thread discussing the matter, and with every passing minute a new user seems to confirm that they too are having difficulties. One forum member claims his iPhone was working fine when he first downloaded iOS 6, only to find hours later that his handset was unable to connect to the internet via Wi-Fi.

While AppleInsider has been unable to replicate the error message, both iPhone and iPad users who upgraded to the new OS are supposedly experiencing the same issue.

Based on the claims, the issue has arisen from a network verification process baked into the software, wherein the OS attempts to load a dummy page on Apple.com to detect if a users is connected to a paywalled network. Unfortunately, however, the verification page seems to lead to a 404 error, resulting in an inability to connect to Wi-Fi for many users.

Apple has been contacted regarding the alleged issue, and a response will be posted once an official statement has been released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

The MobileMe Team: Initially disbanded into the Apple's 'Daylight Savings Section' of the 'iPhone Development Department', then reshuffled into the 'iOS Devices Wifi Section'.

• Reply 2 of 77
    I was able to get it working again after connecting to the WiFi, showing the details, and backing out what was listed in the DNS. Weird thing is it worked earlier this week on the GM...until this afternoon. Hopefully it's something on Apple's server side they can fix.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    6 page thread? Watched it grow from 6 pages to 47 pages in about 25 minutes. Mine is working again without trying any of the 5,000 different "fixes" people have listed.

EDIT:

Sorry, I was watching a different discussion thread about wifi issues after ios6 upgrade. The 6 page thread AI listed is about page not found and currently at 14 pages.
  • Reply 4 of 77

I ran into the same issue with both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. I tried a number of things as suggested, but what worked for me was opening the Airport Utility software on my Mac and restarting the router with the software. Note, it did not work when I merely restarted the router by unplugging and plugging back in. Depending on your setup, this solution may not work in every case. The key takeaway is don't just look to your idevice for the solution. My solution was found in resetting the router.

• Reply 5 of 77
    After updating my iPhone 4S and iPad 3, they connected just fine to the wifi network at work, but when I got home, they both popped up a wifi login screen that went to a non-existent page at apple.com. Canceling of course booted me off of my home network.

Simply re-starting (powering off and then back on) cleared this up... it recognized my home network and associated with it right away as usual. Worked on both devices.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Having major problems here (iPhone 4, iOS6). Wifi just won't stay connected and it keeps reverting to cellular data. Really, really frustrating.

Update: I've tried restarting my phone and resetting network settings so far. Neither have worked. Trying the disable-cellular-data trick now.

I think there are two separate wifi issues here. One dealing with verification (reportedly fixed) and another dealing with maintaining the wifi connection (not fixed). Hopefully this is addressed soon and isn't a problem on the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    No problems here. Very, very happy with iOS 6 on the new iPad! Siri is the best!
  • Reply 8 of 77
    What worked for me was to reset network settings on the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Having major problems here (iPhone 4, iOS6). Wifi just won't stay connected and it keeps reverting to cellular data. Really, really frustrating.

Try resetting Your network settings on your iPhone or iPad. It can be found under settings > general > reset settings.
  • Reply 10 of 77

I should have mentioned my work network (where there were no problems) is based on Cisco routers. My home network (where it wasn't working) is based on a recent Time Machine/Airport, configured with WPA2 password protection.

• Reply 11 of 77
    Wifi-gate
  • Reply 12 of 77

Settings--> General--> Reset--> Reset Network Setting worked for me

• Reply 13 of 77

Possible fix (worked for me):

Go To:

Settings>Wi-Fi>("Your Network")> [the blue circle arrow icon]

Scroll to bottom of screen and set HTTP Proxy to Auto

EDIT:

LOL, ok . . . now it works *without* that. I just turned that setting back to OFF, and it works.

• Reply 14 of 77
    Saw on macrumors forum to check http proxy setting for the network in question and make sure it is set to "Auto". Mine was off when I checked after upgrading. Works fine now.
  • Reply 15 of 77

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Possible fix (worked for me):

Go To:

Settings>Wi-Fi>("Your Network")> [the blue circle arrow icon]

Scroll to bottom of screen and set HTTP Proxy to Auto

That seems to be working for more people, too.

• Reply 16 of 77
    Had the wi-fi issue here on my wife's iPad3. Forced iPad off (home button and on/off button for several seconds). Turn iPad back on and once it's on go to Settings, turn wi-fi back on. I also had to disable Cellular Data (she never set that up) even though it had never previously been enabled. Her iPad has been successfully locked on our wi-fi network since with no issues (over an hour now).
  • Reply 17 of 77

I had this after updating my iPad (3rd Gen)... wifi would connect for a few seconds then the wifi icon disappeared from the toolbar and I got the "Success" screen.

After several reboots of both the iPad and the Router with no success I forgot the network and then re added it through Settings and it's been fine since...

HTTP Proxy is still set to Off... 

• Reply 18 of 77
    NOT A REAL BUG !!!!

Explanation:

Apparently iOS queries http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html
    to see if the WiFi network requires a login.

It went 404.

All iOS6 devices went nuts.

The Webpage is now online, problem fixed!

NOT an iOS issue.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    Have had iOS 6 for a while now. For those experiencing the WIFI issue, BE SURE your Airport Extreme Software is up to date and it took ONLY one re-boot of it back in July and have had NO problems ever again. Nice to see Passbook working!!

Just used a Target coupon thru it at checkout, way easy. Can't wait to use it to go to the movies. Oh, bought Prometheus from iTunes and watched it last night on Apple TV, worked perfectly, picture and sound were great...

Wow, am feeling for Apple Techs today, what a huge rollout of so many updates. People be patient, it's highly unlikely this all would go down without glitches.

Updated my mac mini to the new Mountain Lion update rolled out today. imessage now recognizes my cell number to send and receive, works really well.
  • Reply 20 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

NOT A REAL BUG !!!!

Explanation:

Apparently iOS queries http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

to see if the WiFi network requires a login.

It went 404.

All iOS6 devices went nuts.

The Webpage is now online, problem fixed!

NOT an iOS issue.

Too funny.  Glad it's server side and not software.  Avoided a huge PR nightmare if it was software.