iPhoto and Aperture updates bring Shared Photo Streams support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hours after Apple released OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and iOS 6 on Wednesday, the company rolled out updates for the consumer level iPhoto and the professional grade Aperture image organization and editing apps, granting both apps access to Shared Photo Streams.

Aperture

Aperture

Beyond the usual stability and performance enhancements, Apple's pro-level photo editing tool adds support for Shared Photo Streams, the iCloud-based service that allows users to share photos with any iOS, OS X or PC user. Shared Photo Streams offers support for comments and notifications as well as a web-based client.

Aperture users now have the option to open a file in iPhoto if they so choose.

From the release notes:
Aperture 3.4

What's New in Version 3.4
  • Adds support for Shared Photo Streams on OS X Mountain Lion
  • A new File menu command can be used to open the current photo library in iPhoto
  • Includes performance and stability improvements
Aperture 3.4 comes in at 551MB and can be download through the Mac App Store or Software Update.

Shared Photo Streams
Source: Apple

iPhoto 9.4

iPhoto

iPhoto version 9.4 also includes stability and performance enhancements, while adding new card and calendar themes as well as a menu option to open an image in Aperture for more intensive editing.

From the release notes:
About iPhoto 9.4

What's New in Version 9.4
  • Adds support for Shared Photo Streams on OS X Mountain Lion
  • Comments can now be added to photos after publishing them to Facebook
  • New card and calendar themes have been added
  • A new File menu command can be used to open the current photo library in Aperture (if installed)
  • Includes performance and stability improvements
iPhoto 9.4 weighs in at 757.61MB and can be downloaded via Software Update, the Mac App Store and Apple's Support Downloads webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    shared photo streams are nice, except that they only allow the creator of the stream to add to them. as the creator, i'd like to be able to specify which members have add/view and which have view-only. guess i'm off to http://apple.com/feedback to request the functionality.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I've been waiting for this feature for a long time - we'd resorted to sharing a single iCloud account across the family, but now we can just each create shared streams and subscribe to each other's.

Now we can each have our own iCloud account.

In reality the limitation won't impact us much - the grandmas/pas want to see the tots so we're basically pushing most of the pix.
  • Reply 3 of 10

So a shared stream's pictures can all be saved to a common iPhoto library?  Does this really solve the family iOS devices problem with iPhoto?

• Reply 4 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

shared photo streams are nice, except that they only allow the creator of the stream to add to them. as the creator, i'd like to be able to specify which members have add/view and which have view-only. guess i'm off to http://apple.com/feedback to request the functionality.

I agree! I wish shared photo stream allowed ALL my photos to be shared to particular users :|

• Reply 5 of 10
    So how does it do journals that can be posted to the cloud like the iOS version of iPhoto?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Shared photo streams are awesome. I love the public option where you can just share a link to an online gallery, makes sharing photos to anyone so simple, and bypasses the idiotic 5 photo email limit. 

• Reply 7 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I like the shared system too, it obviates the need for many to use Facebook if all they want is to share their photos with family and close friends.
  • Reply 8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

I'm going to second this statement. I love this feature already, but why the heck cant I manage other user's rights to the stream? I should be able to allow one person to add/comment/like/ delete their own photos, while restrict another from doing any of that. This was my first inclination to what a "shared" photo stream would be. I'm requesting this too!

• Reply 9 of 10

"Holy Crappy Incremental Aperture Update, Batman!"

"Quiet, Robin.  It's crashing on every machine in the house.  Hosed by Facebook integration (No joke).  Get the Time Machine out.  We're reverting."

• Reply 10 of 10

I never got the Aperture update. Are they not going out to people who bought the physical copy anymore? If so, how do I merge my physical copy's license with an App Store license? That happened automatically for iLife when I updated an OS. Can't remember when. I think that it SHOULD have happened for iWork, too, as I had it preinstalled when I bought this machine, but no~, Apple doesn't consider that the sa~me…