Apple rolls out bevy of legacy OS X, firmware updates

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While the release of Apple's OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and iOS 6 have taken most of the spotlight on Wednesday, the company released a plethora of updates for OS X Snow Leopard and Lion as well as new firmware and software versions for select products.

OS X Updates

Users of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion who opted not to upgrade to the latest 10.8.2 Mountain Lion can now download updates that patch a number of security holes and resolve minor UI issues in the legacy operating systems.

One of the major additions to OS X Lion is the inclusion of Gatekeeper, Apple's security system that gives users a higher level of control over what programs are installed on their Macs

In all, Apple released six updates, four for OS X Lion and two security updates for OS X Snow Leopard:

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 Client and OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 Client Combo

Lion
The 10.7.5 update is recommended for all OS X Lion users and includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. It also includes Gatekeeper, a new security feature that helps you keep your Mac safe from malicious software by giving you more control over what apps are installed on your Mac.

The 10.7.5 update also includes fixes that:
  • Resolve an issue where icons in Launchpad may get rearranged after a restart

• Improve Wi-Fi reliability for iMac (Late 2009 and newer)

• Resolve an issue using Spotlight to search an SMB server

• Improve compatibility connecting to Active Directory servers
The OS X 10.7.5 client update weighs in at 1.14GB, while the client combo comes in at 1.91GB. Both can be downloaded via Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads page.

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 Server and OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 Server Combo
The 10.7.5 update is recommended for all servers currently running Lion Server. This update includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, migration and security of your server and specific fixes for:
  • maintaining Spotlight index when changing share point settings

• creating and connecting to Open Directory master

• improved reliability of password authentication

• using Software Update Server to automatically download and enable software updates

• reliably booting NetRestore images created with System Image Utility

• using Profile Manager to set the Mobility sync frequency settings for mobile accounts

• improved reliability when changing an Xsan metadata controller into a client
The OS X Lion Server download is 1.22GB, with the combo version being 1.99GB. Both are available via Software Update or Apple's Support Pages.

Security Update 2012-004 Snow Leopard and Security Update 2012-004 Snow Leopard Server

Snow Leopard

The security update for the client version of Snow Leopard comes in at only 2.36MB, however the version meant for Snow Leopard Server weighs in at 276.45MB. User can download the most current security patches via Software Update or Apple's online support page.

Firmware Updates

In addition to the operating system buffs, Apple rolled out updates for four MacBook products, three of which are EFI updates affecting recently-released MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Release notes from each update are below, all downloads are available via Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads site:

MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update v1.0 (4.97MB)
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro with Retina display (mid 2012) models.
This update resolves an issue which can cause the system to hang during heavy processor loads, and resolves an issue where NetBoot does not function properly when using an Ethernet adapter.
MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.9 (4.29MB)
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (mid 2012) models. This update resolves an issue which can cause the system to hang during heavy processor loads.
MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.5 (4.76MB)
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012) models. This update fixes an issue where Turbo Boost does not activate when using Boot Camp, and resolves an issue where NetBoot does not function properly when using an Ethernet adapter.
MacBook Air SMC Update v1.7 (658KB)
This update enables Power Nap support on MacBook Air (Late 2010) computers and is recommended for all users running OS X v10.8.2 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen.

Apple releases firmware after a day of software updates that got you hard!

<cough>.

• Reply 2 of 16

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen.

Apple releases firmware after a day of software updates that got you hard!

<cough>.

And Apple is a company known for being a great stimulator of your wetware, so…

• Reply 3 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And Apple is a company known for being a great stimulator of your wetware, so…

That was a pretty slick response!

Okay, I'm stopping now...

• Reply 4 of 16
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Let's hope the roll out a bevy of iOS6 updates. Wtf Apple. 

• Reply 5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by success View Post

Let's hope the roll out a bevy of iOS6 updates. Wtf Apple. 

Huh?

These are updates.

You got problems?

• Reply 6 of 16
    Okay - why can't I apply the 2.9 firmware update to my 2012 MBP 9,1 running 10.8.2?
  • Reply 7 of 16

That is strange - i just updated firmware for my Retina MBP without any problem. Are you using yesterday's build - 12C54? 

• Reply 8 of 16
    You might consider adjusting your headline. 10.7 is hardly "legacy". Falling for that meme just gives Apple a free pass to dump support for systems more quickly.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Great to see updates for SL - considering it'll be the last Apple OS I run.
  • Reply 10 of 16

I just got a 2009 Mac Pro, and I'm going to leave it on Snow Leopard. SL was unusual in that it was such a performance minded update. Since then it's been all about merging iOS into OS X. I hope they go back and spruce up periodically. Maybe Mountain Lion will eventually be to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard, but it doesn't look that way right now.
  • Reply 11 of 16

Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Good. Eventually one less troll here.

• Reply 12 of 16

Quote:

Users of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion who opted not to upgrade to ... Mountain Lion

Or, whose hardware was incapable of being upgraded to 10.8 and/or 10.7...

Quote:

The security update for the client version of Snow Leopard comes in at only 2.36MB...

Apple's landing page for the update claims the download for the client version will be only 2.36 MB, however when you actually click the download link you get a 257 MB .dmg file.

• Reply 13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

I just got a 2009 Mac Pro, and I'm going to leave it on Snow Leopard. SL was unusual in that it was such a performance minded update. Since then it's been all about merging iOS into OS X. I hope they go back and spruce up periodically. Maybe Mountain Lion will eventually be to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard, but it doesn't look that way right now.

Careful or the moderator will mock you....

• Reply 14 of 16

Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Careful or the moderator will mock you....

Well, you've no legitimate reason to think what you've said here, so yeah.

• Reply 15 of 16

hello all...

i was wondering the same thing that user "lfmorrison" stated,

i am using 10.6.8 but never have installed the "supplemental" update as it appeared to be geared for Lion software, current and future.

my theory is that the 2.36mb update is combined with the early-2012 "supplemental update" which jacks up the file size to 257mb.

(yes, i am new, and also have very little experience using forums, so thanks in advance)

• Reply 16 of 16

Originally Posted by jessica6 View Post

i am using 10.6.8 but never have installed the "supplemental" update as it appeared to be geared for Lion software, current and future.

my theory is that the 2.36mb update is combined with the early-2012 "supplemental update" which jacks up the file size to 257mb.

All updates available for your OS you should do.