List of Passbook supported apps appears in iOS 6 App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77

Passbook works great, I just wish there were more businesses implementing it.  Where is Starbucks???

• Reply 42 of 77
    I don't have enough space on my iPhone for all these extra apps that I have to carry around! I wish you could get the tickets into passbook via an email code or something similar
  • Reply 43 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I don't have enough space on my iPhone for all these extra apps that I have to carry around! I wish you could get the tickets into passbook via an email code or something similar

Yeah I'm really hoping I don't actually have to have apps for all these things and it can simply be sent from a website etc to the Passbook app. I think it will be able to work that way... fingers crossed.

• Reply 44 of 77
    timbit wrote: »
    I wish you could get the tickets into passbook via an email code or something similar

That's part of its design. Some things are just a one-off or infrequently used. Using the boarding pass for a flight example that's exactly how I'd expect it to be most commonly used. When the airline emails you your confirmation with boarding pass you'll have an embedded file (or option for one) that you can click on from your email that will load into Passbook.

Today I created two Passbook passes with passsource.com and then sent them to myself via email so I could add them to Passbook. It was seamless.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    ttlkurtis wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really hoping I don't actually have to have apps for all these things and it can simply be sent from a website etc to the Passbook app. I think it will be able to work that way... fingers crossed.

The browser wil work, too. The only caveat is that companies might want to steer you toward their apps when they could offer the pass. This might make sense for certain business models but for many not forcing you to DL their app could hurt their business more than making it more accessible. One example of this are store coupons.
  • Reply 46 of 77

me too

• Reply 47 of 77
    If my iPad is the device I have with me all the time, then, by definition, it fits the bill of being the device that I have on me all the time.

I won't deny that the iPhone is more portable, but that also means the iPad should never have received cameras or 3G if it's not meant to be taken with you places that such features would be used. 

There should be parity. As the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have Photo Booth, so should the iPad have Passbook.

As the others said, there aren't that many people bringing an iPad with them everywhere they go. The developers would be wasting their time on creating an iPad compatible version of passbook. This would require a lot more time and money spent on releasing an iPad version which not many people would use.

On top of this, how many Starbucks have you seen that actually have enough room on the counter to put an iPad in front of the scanner. How many places anywhere have you seen that have this much counter space; a lot of stores have a limited amount of space, the counters are usually crowded with dividers and other such things. Using passbook on an iPad would also hold up lines, for the person would have to take the iPad out of their bag before using passbook. Many people have cases on their iPads, some not so easy to take out an open. Imagine waiting in line and having someone struggle to get their iPad out of their bag, then drop items, have to pick up the items, so on and so forth.

Just because you bring your iPad everywhere doesn't mean that it is practical. Just because you would use passbook, doesn't mean enough people would use it to warrant spending time on an iPad compatible version.
  • Reply 48 of 77

yeap, same here

• Reply 49 of 77

yeap, same here

• Reply 50 of 77

Sadly, this would be an issue because many legal issues would come with this. Companies could sue Apple for using their information or products without asking. Apple would not be able to ask every single company to use their information or products. If one company disallowed Apple from using their information or products, then Apple's passbook would be completely shot in this situation.
  • Reply 51 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacez View Post

Sadly, this would be an issue because many legal issues would come with this. Companies could sue Apple for using their information or products without asking. Apple would not be able to ask every single company to use their information or products. If one company disallowed Apple from using their information or products, then Apple's passbook would be completely shot in this situation.

What are you talking about, I'm saying you would go to, for example, BananaRepublic.com, and fill in your info, and then it would create a link or file which can be used to put your gift card or store card into your Passbook. Apple wouldn't be doing anything without anyone's permission, each business would have to create this functionality themselves to work with Passbook.

• Reply 52 of 77
    What are you talking about, I'm saying you would go to, for example, BananaRepublic.com, and fill in your info, and then it would create a link or file which can be used to put your gift card or store card into your Passbook. Apple wouldn't be doing anything without anyone's permission, each business would have to create this functionality themselves to work with Passbook.

Sorry, I had misunderstood the comment. I see what you mean now, but they may have reasons for that. Maybe the file size would be too big for passbook, to add a feature like that? Maybe the coding for a feature like that would be too difficult and would cause a lot of bugs? My point still stands with the legal issues though, that maybe using a coupon, barcode or whatever would cause legal issues. It's still using another company's barcode number when you get a coupon or something. Maybe they're just making sure that no legal issues are presented no matter what.
  • Reply 53 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I understand that. But Apple made this decision for a reason, and I for the most part agree with it. The iPhone/iPod touch are highly portable devices and can serve as a wallet replacement. The iPad can perform the same tasks, but it's just not as convenient for everyday transactions (just like I'd rather swipe my debit card than carry around a checkbook). I don't think that anyone is arguing that it's not possible to use the iPad as a passbook device, but you'd look pretty silly walking up to the Target cash register to pay with an iPad. 

I completely agree that the main audience for passbook is iphone users and always will be.

However, an iPad version would be worth it. It can't be that much more software work for apple, and even though most would use iphones, the iPad has sold well enough that the app would cater to a large number of users.

Even iPhone users that have iPads wouldn't object, especially if everything synced through. For instance, if I'm at home buying a ticket, I'd do that on my iPad, sync it over to Passbook, check everything is correct. I don't want to have to go to my iPhone to check everything is ok. Another instance, would be at the airport. Check-in with iPhone, security, etc, sit by the gate browsing on my iPad, boarding starts, and continue boarding using passbook on my iPad, instead of packing it away and getting my iPhone out. Also, if I have understood passbook correctly, my airline ticket will have live info including delays, gate changes, and if that notification of delay pops up on my iPad during browsing, great!

Overall, there is enough users and benefits to justify the relatively small increase in software development. Obviously the iPhone is the main device, but the iPad warrants the feature as well.

• Reply 54 of 77

Passbook is an organizer for movie
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Where are the apps featured in Apple's keynotes, like Starbucks or Delta?!
  • Reply 56 of 77
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marwan Hassan View Post

me too

So am I.

• Reply 57 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Also, I think it's a very valid argument. The iPad is carried around for a lot of things, and I understand that everyone that has an iPad doesn't necessarily have an iPhone....but to me, to carry around a 7.8 OR 9.7 inch iPad as a way to "conveniently" pay for things is kind of an oxymoron lol. Seems it would much easier to remain using a wallet.

Passbook really isn't a payment system though. At least not right now. It's mostly focused on clearing up wallet/purse clutter that you would have. So instead of a woman carrying an envelope of coupons, they get stored electronically in Passbook. Boarding passes, tickets, coupons. The only payment method it can store is gift cards and again that is more about getting rid of clutter. You'd still be carrying around your regular credit card.

As for whether or not it would be strange, that's a matter of opinion. I saw someone using an iPad as a camera at Disney World (it looked super awkward and ridiculous but they were still doing it). Just last night, I was at a concert and saw someone with an iPad.

• Reply 58 of 77

I am having a problem too. I can't connect to the apps store using passbook.I get the "Cannot Connect to Itunes Store"  I have tried to reset my iphone, but that did not solve the problem.  I am using a iphone 4.  Any suggestions.  Thanks so much.

• Reply 59 of 77
    Yeah- I'm getting the Cannot Connect to App Store message too when I click the button. I thought I would be able to manually add things like Starbucks cards, coupons, Fred Meyers card, etc. Are the supported PAssbook apps just not out yet?
  • Reply 60 of 77

I have downloaded the IOS 6 and when I go to use the the passbook its say can't connect to itunes store, I have tried turning the phone off and I synced from my computer and I can't get it to work, any suggestions???