Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 101 of 490
    Daekwan wrote: »
    Is anyone really surprised Apple maps 1.0 is not equal to Google Maps 6.0?

Give it a few months.. maybe even a year.  With user feedback and resources focused on the Apple maps.. they will eventually catch up.  I have no doubt a company with a $100 Billion in the bank.. can make a great map app.

While this is true, it's amazing to me that Apple's products aren't perfect considering how highly everyone thinks of them.
  • Reply 102 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for the link. So instead of fixing the problems themselves, they whine about how bad it is. Why should anyone who brings up iOS' Maps in that regard be taken seriously? The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

How should someone go about fixing a bug or missing data in Apple Maps? I don't see a way to report problems or submit new data?

I'm really curious what Apple did here. They said they use Open Street Map for some of the basemap data. In my town, OSM has great maps, but Apple's maps are empty and many of the POIs are missing. So even submitting bugfixes to OSM is no guarantee that Apple will pick them up.

• Reply 103 of 490
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Get real. Google Maps is probably the only reason why anyone should want an Android device. It's fantastic. Hell it even has indoor maps.

That's your opinion.  

Everyone I know who uses Android tells me the turn by turn is great but that the rest of it is very similar to the cluster-f*ck that is Google maps on the web. 

• Reply 104 of 490
    People it'll get decidedly better once it starts collecting user data.
  • Reply 105 of 490

Quote:

Thanks for the link. So instead of fixing the problems themselves, they whine about how bad it is. Why should anyone who brings up iOS' Maps in that regard be taken seriously? The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

Like this:

• Reply 106 of 490
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    People it'll get decidedly better once it starts collecting user data.

Siri- Is that you?
  • Reply 107 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

I'm sure maps will catch up quickly. A step back to make much more progress in the future.

Yes, this is exactly like changing to the Lightening connector or getting rid of the floppy drive. Sometimes you have to throw out the "good enough" and struggle through a little change to get to a better place. The alternative is stagnation. Most people don't like change, but, fortunately, Apple embraces it when it's the right way forward, even if it means a rocky road for a few miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Wait, wait, are people really elevating Google Maps to some holy level, as if it were end the end all be all of mapping software?

Google Maps was ok. At best. And it was only ok because it was free.

I can't tell you how many times Google gave me poor or even wrong directions. If I wasn't super specific with a search, it would find a POI that's not close to me. It would return POIs that make no sense. Etc.

Unless you're in an area with poor Maps support, take all of this with a grain of salt. For most users, there will be no problems. And you won't hear from them. The only people you'll hear are those who are having a problem. It's not an accurate representation of the collective opinion.

Exactly. Google Maps is not some sort of infallible oracle, it was good enough, and it was what people knew.

• Reply 108 of 490

The iPhone is an Apple product.  It is up to Apple, not Google, to make it good.

• Reply 109 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If you 3D something outside the flyover coverage or near the end of the zone, you will get horrible results.  But imo this is more anti-apple propaganda than anything. Inside the 3d coverage, the maps are great. The problem is coverage is way to small, Apple should have waited before they release it or put more $$ and cover more.

The 2d map view lacks a lot of details indeed, but it will get better.  Again, this was release too soon.

• Reply 110 of 490
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Like this:

LL

LL

That was some earthquake, good thing there were only a few cars on the road.
  • Reply 111 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Like this:

how do you know there wasn't an earthquake? /s

• Reply 112 of 490

It just works,err, well, not so much.

• Reply 113 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

(2) Report bad location info to apple. You can tap on any feature on the screen and then post an update as to what data is wrong.

I know there are a lot of pain points right now, but enjourni makes a great point. If you see problems, report them.

So far, all of the inaccuracies I've seen on the new maps were the same inaccuracies that used to be on Google maps, i was just used to them.

But, i decided to report one so it'll be interesting to see how responsive Apple is, especially now when they are probably deluged with reports.

• Reply 114 of 490
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Makes me wonder...who did the beta testing for this? Did they not come accross any of these issues? C'mon now.....Apple is a huge company that prides itself on customer service and a great customer experience and great product design. Its why we all buy their products. But this new app does not seem to meet their standards!

• Reply 115 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigjag69 View Post

Wow. ISheep have something negative to say about God (Apple)

Apple customers will complain if it warrants complaining. Fandroids complain about Apple just to complain.

Do Fandroids complain about Android or do they just spout off spec lists like a robot?

For ex:

Average Android Customer: Android lag is a problem when scrolling.

Fandroid: but it has 2.0 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM, NFC, face recognition, 8MP camera, USB ports, a stylus! Open Source!

• Reply 116 of 490
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The new maps app is dismal in London. It's missing major train stations for fecks sake!

I buy Apple products because I want the best. Why should customers pay a premium for something that can't even compete with Bing?

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Apple's quality control. :(
  • Reply 117 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Quote:

How should someone go about fixing a bug or missing data in Apple Maps? I don't see a way to report problems or submit new data?

I'm really curious what Apple did here. They said they use Open Street Map for some of the basemap data. In my town, OSM has great maps, but Apple's maps are empty and many of the POIs are missing. So even submitting bugfixes to OSM is no guarantee that Apple will pick them up.

Touch the bottom right corner of the screen to bring up the map options screen, then choose "Report a problem".

• Reply 118 of 490

Quote:

The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

My complaint is that my hometown doesn't exist on Apple Maps. It is simply not labelled - despite a nearby village being clearly labelled. Is that legitimate enough for you? How is one supposed to navigate to my town when Apple Maps doesn't think it exists?

Additionally, the satellite imagery is absolutely pathetic. I've gone from being able to see my house on Google Maps (and if I wish, my front door via Street View), to my entire town being a vague suburban blur on Apple Maps.

It's not just little towns, either. London looks pretty poor once you step outside the immediate centre - one of the world's most prominent cities. And Apple Maps can't find Paddington, one of London's biggest stations - or, for that matter, Manchester United Football Club, one of the world's most famous sports teams.

Considering that Apple Maps has been positioned as a drop-in replacement for Google Maps, this is utterly unacceptable. What has happened to quality control?

• Reply 119 of 490
    isheldon wrote: »
    Siri- Is that you?

Lol no my voice is much deeper. Google maps was just as bad in the beginning and got progressively better the more people used it same will happen with Apple's maps app. It's already collecting data from those that upgraded to iOS 6.
  • Reply 120 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Not ready for prime time. The overview of my house in Rancho Mirage looks like it was shot through a cloud, and the images are extremely grainy. On google maps I could identify the cracks in the street. Another complaint is when trying to map an address in Carmel, California from my address book (the address there don't use street numbers but rather intersections), it cannot be found; never had that issue with Google Maps

So true. Makes the retina display function practically worthless on iMaps. Small shiner on the eye of Apple. I'll give it time but how much is to be seen.