Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 141 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Likely, Apple maps usage will go up and Google maps usage will go down -– so that a year from now the results from the two apps will be closer together.

I think the point is that Map is a core function of the mobile phone. Everyone looks at Google maps as the best and I can promise you that Google/Moto/Samsung et al will make a point of it in their advertisement.

This has the potential of market loss if in the next month or so they do not solve the problem!

• Reply 142 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Yeah, they're a step back. I can really see how some people in some cities miss the transit instructions, but I suppose in many of those cities a slightly more cumbersome alternative will sprout up. 

As has been mentioned, you can use maps.google.com in Safari and place an icon on the home screen. I did this months ago in preparation for the new Apple maps replacement as the devs were already warning how it no longer contained transit schedules. In the mobile web version of Google maps, the directions button is the diamond shaped icon with an arrow. Once on that tab you can select walking, driving, transit etc.

• Reply 143 of 490
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    In some ways I actually like Apples maps, it makes for uncluttered driving information. That is the good part, the bad part is lots of user interface bugs.
  • Reply 144 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hehe:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the link. So instead of fixing the problems themselves, they whine about how bad it is. Why should anyone who brings up iOS' Maps in that regard be taken seriously? The only legitimate complaints that can be had, then, are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery.

How do you get, from those images, that "the only legitimate complaints... are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery"?  Do you not even see, e.g., that entire towns are gone?

In the U.K. image, I don't have to ask Google for more info if I want to go from Warwick to Stratford; I can tell just by looking that I need to take the A429 and then the A46.  (And mind you I'm sitting in Silicon Valley and have never been there; I can literally just deduce this information from looking at the map.)  In the Apple image... well, let's set aside the little fact that neither Warwick nor Stratford are labelled (and in fact Stratford is *mis*labelled)... except for the M-class roads, there's no road data.  I'd have to zoom in to (presumably, eventually) see the labels on the A429 and A46.  And there are no labels for other villages and towns, either - in Google, I can see that in Lower Fulbrook I could veer off the A46 and take another road... in Apple, there's no Lower Fulbrook - meaning I have no landmark to watch for.

And of course, there's the completely separate discussion of the transit routing fail, and the awkwardness / inability to switch between travel modes in directions.  (You have to select your mode of travel *before* asking for directions?!  I often pull up directions just to get a rough idea, even if I don't want to follow a precise map, or because I'm just curious.  Now I'm going to have to first go through another action-item to choose a travel mode first?  Ugh.)

• Reply 145 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

What a bunch of cry babies! This is Apple's first maps app, so why do you expect it to be on par with Google's whose been doing it for years? Trust that Apple will get things right over the the course of a few months to a year.

I think we deserve better than a "first effort" Maps App, after we've spent all this time on iOS, often for years now, using a polished, mature Maps product.

Now, that's been taken away, and we're essentially expected to sit on our asses and *wait* for Apple to fix and improve it. 

The problem here is that it's a Maps app. A key app. This stuff is *important* for the bulk of the market. The entire idea, in principle, can't be treated like some productivity app being replaced with a new one that will eventually mature. The Maps app *on any platform* is a CORE FUNCTION. Do you get that? You can't in any reasonable frame of mind replace that (and replace it completely, in this case) with an in-development Beta product. 

• Reply 146 of 490
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    You've already answered that question. Fix it yourself at the source.

Shall we hire a plane and sort out the aerial photography too? :P
  • Reply 147 of 490
    That bad huh?
    Well at least there is the Google maps app.
  • Reply 148 of 490
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's your opinion.  

Everyone I know who uses Android tells me the turn by turn is great but that the rest of it is very similar to the cluster-f*ck that is Google maps on the web. 

Wow... taking an example from three years ago is hardly an argument.

• Reply 149 of 490
    The apple maps implementation has correctly identified where my house is... turn by turn took me right to my garage door. Google maps directions doesn't even register the roads in my sub division exist. They SHOW up on the map, but forget trying trying to get directly to my house. Heck there is even a street view image of our house, but google won't give directions right to it. The best it would do is take them to the road outside the division...

So for me, the new maps app is a plus so far. I still have to see how it does in other areas of the US though, which I will be able to test in a few months.

On a side note, I don't really miss street view - never really had a need to use it. And when I did use it, it was slow and sluggish. "Stepping" through from point to point just to see stuff is aggravating. The 3d perspective view shows the general look, layout, and size of things in an area and that is what I am really interested in before I go somewhere to become familiar with it. Not just the fronts of buildings. It allows me to do what I need to do quicker - recognize the area im in. My only qualm is there needs to be more cities.
  • Reply 150 of 490
    deegee48 wrote: »
    Definitely needs work! And I know Apple will make it right. The sooner the better though. Views of the ground, less than a mile up, look like a bowl of oatmeal! And in Flyover, the Billy Penn statue on the top of Philadelphia City Hall just looks like an amorphous monolith of metal! It is not recognizable AT ALL as a person. Also, the Frank Rizzo statue across the street is non-existent!

On the good side, the turn by turn worked well in my dense suburban area.

Give it some time! I have been playing with the new maps app since it first appeared in the Beta and it continuously gets better.

For example there was no 3-D view of London for the Olympics but now there is one.
  • Reply 151 of 490
    Is the inferiority of the new Maps app really the deal-killer that it's being made out to be, or is it at the same level as, let's say, the shutdown spinner graphic going Retina?
  • Reply 152 of 490
    Over all, I feel the iOS Maps to be sub-par compared to the previous versions. My entire county in California is not available in 3D yet. Okay, so the 3D functionality is useless to me in that case. Also, the satellite view of the county is lower quality than the Google Maps version in previous releases. I use satellite view for nature hikes to identify trails, although it is still passable. Also, when I try to use the mass transit functionality it suggests using a third-party app?

It is nice turn-by-turn was finally added, but I am still disappointed I cannot disable suggesting toll roads.
  • Reply 153 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

In the U.K. image, I don't have to ask Google for more info if I want to go from Warwick to Stratford; I can tell just by looking that I need to take the A429 and then the A46.  (And mind you I'm sitting in Silicon Valley and have never been there; I can literally just deduce this information from looking at the map.)  In the Apple image... well, let's set aside the little fact that neither Warwick nor Stratford are labelled (and in fact Stratford is *mis*labelled)... except for the M-class roads, there's no road data.  I'd have to zoom in to (presumably, eventually) see the labels on the A429 and A46.  And there are no labels for other villages and towns, either - in Google, I can see that in Lower Fulbrook I could veer off the A46 and take another road... in Apple, there's no Lower Fulbrook - meaning I have no landmark to watch for.

You are indeed spot on! I think the problem is that the Apple maps are similar to the Openstreetmaps in terms of rendering. You will not get detailed information unless you zoom in completely. This may introduce less clutter but at the same time you lose valuable information on maps which defeats the whole point of a map!

• Reply 154 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Yeah, they're a step back. I can really see how some people in some cities miss the transit instructions, but I suppose in many of those cities a slightly more cumbersome alternative will sprout up. And they'll probably be behind for at least a year. But by launching it they'll have a base for suitable feedback and I imagine there will be progress. I don't blame them for breaking ties with Google on this particular account and I imagine there are plenty of reasons for the change behind the scenes.

My comment here applies to many who have said "just report the problem" or "just wait, in a year or two it will be much better".  I don't want to be Apple's free cartography-checker and beta-tester.  Apple has $100 billion in the bank.  They either should have made a stellar product from the get-go, or not forced iMaps on everyone (who upgrades to iOS 6, which I apparently won't be doing soon) before it was ready.

• Reply 155 of 490

I too am glad I didn't 'upgrade' to iOS 6. If I had, I would reverse it and install iOS 5 using the developer tools. Maps is something I actually use, nothing new in iOS 6 looks very useful, so I'll pass on my iPhone 4. If I get and iPhone 5, you can't use iOS 5, but perhaps a jailbroken iPhone 5 can have the iOS 5 maps in place of iMaps.

• Reply 156 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. Add it yourself. Who better to do it than a native?

Why should I have to add it myself?! Apple replaces the prior maps product with an inferior one, and I have to fix it myself?! Apple foists this inadequate new product on me, and I'm expected to be a beta tester? Is this what people pay premium prices for Apple hardware for?

Are you seriously so blinkered and unable to criticise Apple than you can't see the problem with a map 'upgrade' that strips out large volumes of data?

What's the chance that you'd take the same attitude if this were an upgrade to Android maps? Or would you be castigating Google for pulling the rug out from under its users?

• Reply 157 of 490
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Good morning dear Apple's fair weather friends, 'schadenfreudists', storming opportunists, or panic-stricken end-users,

Crowd sourcing Siri and Maps democratizes the whole process of gathering and sorting data sets to reflect...in due time...reality in all its complexities. Without, I dare say, infringing unduly on people's privacy.

Severing ties with either an abusing spouse or an afflicting drug addiction causes pain, ...until you manage to get a hold of yourself and move forward on your own, offering the world at large a partnership in advancing equal-opportunity-type...'humane'-scaled progress. In leaps and bounds. Away from 'candy-wrapped', monopolist-centric dependencies.

I, for one, am glad to take a step back, ...if that's the price to...sooner than later...shoot two degrees of freedom sideways and then full human-sweat ahead. Google's map isn't the end of the world, ...it simply maps out extensively Google's God-like, hands-on approach to the world. Your world, my world, ...our world within megalomania's grasp.

iOS simply embarks on a 'coming-of-age', cleansing process... At the cost/benefit of pruning the life-sucking, Google branches off the Apple tree.
  • Reply 158 of 490
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Maps isn't that bad! For travel in the US it seems to be fine. There are bugs in the app itself but this is release #1 so that is no surprise.

Honestly iOS 6 has many good reasons to update, I wouldn't let Maps hold you up.
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Ouch.  Glad I decided to hold off on upgrading.  Hopefully they can get it up to snuff soon!  Was looking forward to the built-in navigation...
  • Reply 159 of 490

I love flyover, I think it can be as useful as streetview. That doesn't change that streetview is essential to me and to many others for many reasons.

A merge between Apple Maps with flyover and google's search capacity, navigation knowledge, transit mode and streetview would be PUUURFECT!

Just try looking at Rome in flyover, it's beautiful, it's like being there! That's very Apple to me. The implementation is not though.

• Reply 160 of 490

He can't. It's like talking to a robot.