Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 221 of 490

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You gotta remember when Google Maps came out we had nothing to compare it to…

Had Yahoo! Maps three years before Google's. Does anyone remember what Google's stuff was like back then and how it compared?

• Reply 222 of 490
    Had Apple partnered with Garmin instead of TomTom for Maps, they wouldnt have had this many issues.
  • Reply 223 of 490
    The 3D button is useless. Maps should have been treated like search engines. Make Apple Maps the default that works with Siri, but allow the user to select Google or Bing if they prefer.
  • Reply 224 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You gotta remember when Google Maps came out we had nothing to compare it to and as years went on it got better, I think it's unfair to think that Apple could overnight come out with a Map app that has taken Google years to get to.

Then if they can't make something better, it's not worth doing. Until they *can*.  This is more of Apple's classic mantra - what we keep hearing when they're questioned about why they entered the tablet market, for instance - that got left by the wayside with what is essentially a core point of functionality in any modern mobile OS.

• Reply 225 of 490

This isn't 2007. In 2012's market, your Map App is expected to be at least on par with, or better than everything else, right out of the gate. There's no room for "give it time" here. 

• Reply 226 of 490
    So are we all saying that from day 1 Google Maps was perfect? No? Didn't think so. It took a lot of time developing and you cannot stop developing with maps, they change so much. If you know somethings wrong, then instead of moaning and slating Apple, report it. You know, drop a pin, hit the blue, then press Report a Problem. Soon they'll pick it up and sort it. Was Siri perfect from day 1? No. Is it now? A lot closer to it, but not yet. Its all a work in progress. Don't moan, report anything wrong. Or they'll never know...
  • Reply 227 of 490
    Had Yahoo! Maps three years before Google's. Does anyone remember what Google's stuff was like back then and how it compared?

I meant as a mobile app, but yes I remember.
  • Reply 228 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Is anyone really surprised Apple maps 1.0 is not equal to Google Maps 6.0?

Give it a few months.. maybe even a year.  With user feedback and resources focused on the Apple maps.. they will eventually catch up.  I have no doubt a company with a $100 Billion in the bank.. can make a great map app.

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember google maps on my iPhone 3G. It was junk and I could usually find a better route just looking at the map rather than use theirs LOL. Oh and that hasn't changed much either.

• Reply 229 of 490
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, does it? All right, then. If Apple's changing the data from what's viewable directly from OSM, there's no excuse for that.

So no rebuttal to anything I've said, then. Just mocking.

you just don't get what everyone is saying to you......after a while of defending something that is so blatantly lost. You lose credibility....then nothing is left but to try to show you....but then you are still adamant... all that is left is mocking...and humor.

• Reply 230 of 490
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Then if they can't make something better, it's not worth doing. Until they *can*.  This is more of Apple's classic mantra - what we keep hearing when they're questioned about why they entered the tablet market, for instance - that got left by the wayside with what is essentially a core point of functionality in any modern mobile OS.

Unfortunately in this case the user suffers fallout from the thermonuclear war.
  • Reply 231 of 490

Quote:

Yeah, it IS a silly argument to think maps should be held back until they're "done". 

Oh, so a meaningless Street View complaint. I get it. Why shouldn't Google have waited until they had all the Street View data worldwide before adding Street View? We'd still be waiting for that, and would continue to wait for many, many more years.

Tallest Skill. You have to use some reason and fair judgement in your commentary sometimes. Even John Gruber, one of the biggest cheerleaders of Apple admits that the current iteration of Maps is a step back.

My problem with your comments, is that you defend Apple so much and for every little thing, that you don't come off as being someone that can be objective on matters. If someone says they have a problem or that Apple may have misstepped on an issue, you immediately do one of four things:

1) Say that there is no problem and that 99.99999% of people don't have a problem, or that the complaint is meaningless or baseless.

2) If there is a legitimate problem that someone has found; Apple has sold xxx million devices, so it isn't a problem.

3) Label the poster a troll that is trying to tarnish Apple's image

4) Deflect the issue and point to another company in a similar situation (warranted or unwarranted)

You're like Apple Insider's own personal Bill O'Reilly image

Apple is allowed to mistakes. We are allowed to call Apple out on those mistakes. It's OK. The world will still turn tomorrow.

I love Apple, and we're an all-Apple household (two MacBook Airs, two iPhones with two iPhone 5s incoming, and an iPad), but just because I'm an Apple fan doesn't mean that I can't be objective when it comes to issues surrounding the company.

• Reply 232 of 490

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This isn't 2007. In 2012's market, your Map App is expected to be at least on par with, or better than everything else, right out of the gate. There's no room for "give it time" here. 

So no new technologies should ever be introduced with the knowledge that they will only be improved upon? Of course there's room for "give it time". If there's no room for that in maps, there's no room for that with Siri and it was a "colossal failure" for not supporting every spoken language on Earth and every possible request on day one.

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Tallest Skill. You have to use some reason and fair judgement in your commentary sometimes.

Just wish others would do the same. No one ever said Google Maps would get better when it was launched. No one ever said there were any problems with Google Maps. It never got any locations wrong, nor was it missing any cities. 

Oh, wait (read the comments). Did some things right. Did some things wrong. Apparently they never should have released a mapping application at all, since it wasn't perfect at inception. It was certainly prettier than Yahoo! Maps, just as Apple's maps are prettier than Google's. But it wasn't always correct. So apparently that means "it never should have been released" or "should have been held back until it was better". 

I'm not saying you can't call out mistakes. I'm giving a solution to fix some of them, for heaven's sake. I'm explicitly saying you CAN complain about some things, as that's entirely Apple's fault. What, you think Google doesn't have locations with clouds obscuring the view? Should Apple have waited until there were no clouds anywhere before releasing any of the data?

• Reply 233 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I bet if it were 2007 you'd make the same excuse, "It's not 2002 anymore yada yada..."

• Reply 234 of 490

Yet another thing that reassures me that I made the right choice jumping from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 900.

Android has Google Maps with street view, public transport and turn by turn navigation.

Nokia's Lumia range has Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps and Nokia Transport. Soon it will even feature Augmented Reality via City Lens!

Apple has... a barely functional bit of tat with a 3D gimmick.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Apple giving this the attention it requires to be a true contender to Bing, Nokia and Google - at the very least in the short term. Take Siri for example; is it actually worth a damn outside of America? Can I ask it something without it going "this is only available in the USA" yet? Microsoft's implementation ("Tell Me") is supposed to be inferior to Siri yet I just asked it "Search for Chinese Restaurants" and in pulled them all up in my local area pin pointed on a map.

• Reply 235 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by msheredy View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember google maps on my iPhone 3G. It was junk and I could usually find a better route just looking at the map rather than use theirs LOL. Oh and that hasn't changed much either.

What a bunch of bull. What did you have on your 3g before google Maps? ios 6 maps would be a God send if Google maps and Nokia maps dindt exist on Mobile. But they do. The point is not that ios 6 maps suck, because they don't, they just suck compared to the competition, not only that the previous version use to be the competition. 

• Reply 236 of 490

Quote:

So no new technologies should ever be introduced with the knowledge that they will only be improved upon? Of course there's room for "give it time". If there's no room for that in maps, there's no room for that with Siri and it was a "colossal failure" for not supporting every spoken language on Earth and every possible request on day one.

Seems like google did a pretty good job, improving on Siri capabilities in different ways with Google now. 

Apple Maps should of either been as Good as the old Google maps or better. And they sad thing is they didnt even have to compete with the real google maps just the meh version Apple built with the Google Maps API. If Apple fans are complaning over ios 5 google maps, I wonder what it would be like if they had android google maps, which is the best mobile app ever built. http://reviews.cnet.com/software/google-maps/4505-3513_7-35454676.html?ttag=gpwl

• Reply 237 of 490

The new [iOS 6] Apple Maps is [mostly] more robust than the old [pre iOS 6] Apple Maps app.  

Some of the features that Google currently offers on its Android Maps app are not available on either version of Appe's iOS Maps app.

Even the old [pre iOS 6] Apple Maps had bugs and bad data -- but it is [mostly] superior to the 1.0 iOS 6 Maps app.

Apple uses the Open Street Map to format and present map data.

Apple contracts with 3rd-arties to supply map data.

Likely, these third party datasets are not compatible with Open Street Map.  This means the data has to be converted in order to generate and present Open Street Maps.  This takes some time.

Here are the big questions:

Dont you think Apple is aware of all this?

Don't you think Apple will fix it?

How long will it take?

Here Be Dragons... Apple

• Reply 238 of 490
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Damn... there's a lot of hatred going on here.  While I miss Google's version, I also do not like them selling my info.  While Apple's version is a step back, it will get there in time.  Quit the whining.

Google will most likely come out with an App version.  To be up in arms about something you weren't even paying for doesn't reflect well on you.  In google's case, they were selling you.

I'll gladly wait for Apple to work the kinks out.  They've shown more-so to have their act together more often than not.

If this is what's holding some people from upgrading, jeez... you folks need to get your priorities straight.

• Reply 239 of 490

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here are the big questions:

Dont you think Apple is aware of all this?

Don't you think Apple will fix it?

How long will it take?

Ah, see, Dick, that doesn't matter. It should have been perfect immediately. There's no excuse for not being perfect. :rolleyes:

• Reply 240 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Good morning dear Apple's fair weather friends, 'schadenfreudists', storming opportunists, or panic-stricken end-users,

Crowd sourcing Siri and Maps democratizes the whole process of gathering and sorting data sets to reflect...in due time...reality in all its complexities. Without, I dare say, infringing unduly on people's privacy.

Severing ties with either an abusing spouse or an afflicting drug addiction causes pain, ...until you manage to get a hold of yourself and move forward on your own, offering the world at large a partnership in advancing equal-opportunity-type...'humane'-scaled progress. In leaps and bounds. Away from 'candy-wrapped', monopolist-centric dependencies.

I, for one, am glad to take a step back, ...if that's the price to...sooner than later...shoot two degrees of freedom sideways and then full human-sweat ahead. Google's map isn't the end of the world, ...it simply maps out extensively Google's God-like, hands-on approach to the world. Your world, my world, ...our world within megalomania's grasp.

iOS simply embarks on a 'coming-of-age', cleansing process... At the cost/benefit of pruning the life-sucking, Google branches off the Apple tree.

Setting aside my kneejerk "Ugh!" attitude to your praise of crowdsourcing (and why should I be Apple's free cartographer; I just want to *use* the map!), this is not simply about missing or broken data.  For example look at the images of Bowling Green State University on that tumblr link - in the Google image, the building outlines and names are shown, as are footpaths.  One source, all the info I need (were I to ever go to BGSU, that is...).

On the Apple map, all that's shown are surrounding streets (in a vibrant white-on-off-white scheme) and a big polygon labelled Bowling Green State University - with *zero* interior information.  So if I want to go to a particular building on campus, Apple *might* get me there (if the data's right, and if I'm not using public transit), but then I'd have to open up the university's website and hunt for a map to find the building.  This does not strike me as the sort of thing that "free crowdsourcing" is going to fix; this is a conscious decision to eliminate an entire class of data.