iPad 2 io6 update no Siri and sad maps

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I looked forward to this latest Apple IPad update only to find no Siri support and Apple's map application sorely falling behind that of Googles. I do believe the IPad to be the best tablet out there but I am not impressed with this latest "update".
I have also found that after this update my IPad 2 seems to have slowed down loading from the Internet. Perhaps I am mistaken but overall I give this latest update a thumbs down !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

You weren't ever supposed to get Siri. 

If you have a problem with Maps, fix it yourself. Apple uses the OpenMaps database.

• Reply 2 of 30
    Then I see that Apple has started to slide and the opposition will surely start to leave Apple in the shade. The IPhone 5 fails to have any groundbreaking upgrades and I shall certainly not be investing in it or any other IPhone for that matter. The Nokia Lumia 920 is certainly a better buy and not so restrained as the the IPhone and it's "control freak" operations.
  • Reply 3 of 30

Originally Posted by xxcasm View Post

The IPhone 5 fails to have any groundbreaking upgrades…

I'm sure it doesn't. That's obviously true.

I'm sure the phone that runs a Microsoft product isn't "restrained". Microsoft certainly isn't known for being a "control freak". 

Enjoy your permanently crippled device, if you wish. The iPhone will be waiting.

• Reply 4 of 30
    It is obvious just how much of a threat is posed by other Smartphone operating systems when Apple is so relentlessly pursuing these companies in the patent courts.
    I foresee the demise of Apples smartphone dominance and not before time too !
    Just how many patent violations has Apple made ? Perhaps we shall see !
  • Reply 5 of 30

It is obvious just how much of a threat is posed by other Smartphone operating systems when Apple is so relentlessly pursuing these companies in the patent courts.

Yep. That's right. *pat pat* This is what is happening. Run along now.

• Reply 6 of 30

Quote:

I looked forward to this latest Apple IPad update only to find no Siri support and Apple's map application sorely falling behind that of Googles. I do believe the IPad to be the best tablet out there but I am not impressed with this latest "update".

I have also found that after this update my IPad 2 seems to have slowed down loading from the Internet. Perhaps I am mistaken but overall I give this latest update a thumbs down !

ya me too having the same problem...i updated my ipad 2 and iphone4 but both are well short of expectation. my ipad 2 doesnt have siri, or passbook, nor youtube application...and my iphone has passbook but not siri..

can anybody help please

am really pissed from this update bcoz i was excited abt io6 and its features ...but now its just torture to see both my device..

• Reply 7 of 30

Quote:

ya me too having the same problem...i updated my ipad 2 and iphone4 but both are well short of expectation. my ipad 2 doesnt have siri, or passbook, nor youtube application...and my iphone has passbook but not siri..

can anybody help please

am really pissed from this update bcoz i was excited abt io6 and its features ...but now its just torture to see both my device..

• Reply 8 of 30

My guess is that's Apples way of selling the new iphones and ipads, getting your hopes up and then a big let down. I took upgraded my ipad 2 to io6 last night and was disappointed. I work with a guy who has the latest ipad and now has the new features that everyone looked forward too, I couldn't wait to update mine, I found very few improvements myself.

Sign me disappointed too.

• Reply 9 of 30

Originally Posted by jadraper View Post

My guess is that's Apples way of selling the new iphones and ipads, getting your hopes up and then a big let down.

What's this? Technology changes over time?

What is wrong with people?

• Reply 10 of 30
    I have to agree; I have seen NO added value with this update, and am now experiencing myriad new problems with multiple apps. My iPad2 was working almost flawlessly before this update yesterday. Now, I have apps which freeze several times a minute, not responding to any taps or gestures; they include Safari, Mail, and Photos, 3rd-party games, and productivity apps. If this continues, it will completely ruin the user experience for me. Sometimes I can wi-fi connect and sometimes I can't. Sometimes my mail server recognizes me and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes iPad2 remembers my network password and sometimes it doesn't. This is certainly NOT the quality I expect from Apple; perhaps they have hired too many ex-ms folks?

SO - is there any way to "uninstall" this update?
  • Reply 11 of 30

Quote:

What's this? Technology changes over time?

What is wrong with people?

The complaint isn't that technology changes; it's that Apple relies on planned obsolescence to get sales. There's no legitimate technical reason why iPad 2's or iPhone 4's cannot have Siri. It puts minimal load on the processor and not much more on Apple's servers. These features were not included in iOS 6 for the iPad 2 or iPhone 4 because Apple wants to make its newer products more appealing. It has nothing to do with technology.

Now, that's their right, of course. But it's obnoxious. Google's Android has a big problem with updating its operating system, as well, though this is largely the fault of incompetent carriers (Verizon, ATT, etc) that insist on running customized versions of Android on all their different models.

Quote:

If you have a problem with Maps, fix it yourself. Apple uses the OpenMaps database.

This is an especially bizarre response. "Fix it yourself?" Seriously? Since when do users have to fix a product they pay hundreds of dollars for, especially when Google's maps aren't broken?

You seem an awful lot like you have an attachment to Apple of some kind. I'm not sure why people develop these fanatical obsessions with massive corporate companies. I guess it is psychological, to some degree --- people want to be part of a "group" ("Apple fans") and have an enemy ("big evil Microsoft/Google"), even though all are simply major multi-billion dollar companies out to make a profit. The same is true of politics and sports teams, to some extent.

Oh well. One day, maybe you will realize that you don't always have to defend Apple. They're doing just fine, but like every company, sometimes they do indefensible and idiotic things that hurt consumers in an effort to help their bottom line.

• Reply 12 of 30

Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post

…Apple relies on planned obsolescence to get sales.

The complaint is unfounded. More than half of all Mac purchases are new users, and I imagine the same is true of iOS devices.

There's no legitimate technical reason why iPad 2's or iPhone 4's cannot have Siri. 

Sound dampening hardware, I believe.

…especially when Google's maps aren't broken?

So keep using those.

• Reply 13 of 30

Quote:

The complaint is unfounded. More than half of all Mac purchases are new users, and I imagine the same is true of iOS devices.

I'm not sure you read what I wrote. Even assuming fifty percent of iOS-device purchasers are new to the Apple ecosystem, that still means a staggering fifty percent owned a previous iOS device. In what way does that disprove my complaint that Apple pressures those legacy users into upgrading? I never claimed 100% of Apple's sales are from existing users...

Quote:

Sound dampening hardware, I believe.

Good lord. Are you serious? You believe wrong. Siri began as an app using older iPhone 3GS (!!) hardware, so the idea that it requires an iPhone 4S is just bizarre. Have you tried using Dragon Dictate on an iPhone 4? I have. It works great, and that's the same speech engine used by Siri.

Look, I don't know why you insist on disputing this point. Apple has arbitrarily dropped certain feature support for older hardware and tied the features to newer, more expensive and higher-margin hardware. It's a common business practice, one that allows Apple to hype and sell new devices on a yearly basis. Instead of lashing out at posters who point this out ("what is wrong with you people"), you should join them in criticizing Apple for it, so that maybe one day the company will change its practice.

Seriously, though, I am genuinely confused about how anyone could possibly think "sound dampening hardware" led Apple to kill Siri support on legacy devices. I just cannot believe anyone would think that, with a straight face.

Quote:

So keep using those.

The Google Maps webapp is significantly harder to use than the native application and does not include street view. (Before you try to blame this on Google, ALL iOS webapps run through mobile Safari share restrictions that native apps do not -- including increased RAM usage, inability to access some critical device APIs, and clunkier UIs). Apple has succeeded only in making quality maps more inaccessible, and that's very unfortunate. Hopefully, they will reverse course soon enough. Apologists like yourself are not helping, however, by shouting down those with legitimate complaints. 

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what do you get out of this? You are acting like an Apple PR person, never admitting to the company's mistakes and using made-up, constantly changing excuses to justify its behavior. But as far as I can tell, Apple isn't paying you! Are you just a really big, dedicated fan who wants to believe Apple is the bestest?

The company has made some breakthrough, industry-changing products (recently, the original iPod and iPhone). Its computers are very well designed, if too expensive for my tastes. I have no problem admitting things they do well, including iOS' UI. But I can call a spade a spade. They messed up iOS 6.

• Reply 14 of 30

Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post

In what way does that disprove my complaint that Apple pressures those legacy users into upgrading?

It delegitimizes the point. All companies pressure all users into upgrading at all times. There's no reason for this to be a "complaint" of yours. Car companies don't give their vehicles software updates, and they don't ask you to bring your vehicle in so they can install the new generation of brakes or airbags. Same with any industry. 

Siri began as an app using older iPhone 3GS (!!) hardware, so the idea that it requires an iPhone 4S is just bizarre. Have you tried using Dragon Dictate on an iPhone 4? I have. It works great, and that's the same speech engine used by Siri.

Yes, and? Siri before Apple isn't what matters.

Seriously, though, I am genuinely confused about how anyone could possibly think "sound dampening hardware" led Apple to kill Siri support on legacy devices. I just cannot believe anyone would think that, with a straight face.

Yeah, Apple has never been known for their focus on user experience. That can't possibly have anything to do with it.

Before you try to blame this on Google…

I rather think that it IS Google's fault for only ever having provided a non-Flash version of Street View to their iOS customers (Android, too?) in the first place. Is there much preventing a native web version thereof? 

You are acting like an Apple PR person, never admitting to the company's mistakes and using made-up, constantly changing excuses to justify its behavior.

Keep believing whatever you want to pretend to believe.

• Reply 15 of 30

Quote:

It delegitimizes the point. All companies pressure all users into upgrading at all times. There's no reason for this to be a "complaint" of yours. Car companies don't give their vehicles software updates, and they don't ask you to bring your vehicle in so they can install the new generation of brakes or airbags. Same with any industry. 

Heh, so now you're trying to agree with me, I see.

The analogy to cars fails because car companies do not need to give software updates to their cars, for the simple and obvious reason most cars have very little user-facing software to speak of. "Brakes and airbags" are hardware, not software.

No one expects Apple to give old iPhones new cameras, or new chips or more RAM. All they expect is that Apple will not artificially hold back a feature from a phone that can handle it. Now, you are right (as I observed two posts ago) that many companies engage in this sort of behavior. That does not give Apple a pass, especially when Google updates its carrier-free unlocked Nexus phones as much as their hardware will allow. 

It makes Apple just as bad as all those other customer-unfriendly companies out to squeeze users for a buck. The fact that the practice is relatively common does not mean no one should get upset by it, especially when people like you keep going on and on about how user-friendly Apple is.

Quote:

Yes, and? Siri before Apple isn't what matters.

What, specifically, changed from Siri from the time it was acquired to the time it was released by Apple, that required the iPhone 4S/New iPad hardware to run it? Please be as specific and detailed as possible, and note that hackers have had Siri working on 3GS and iPhone 4 for six months now.

Quote:

Yeah, Apple has never been known for their focus on user experience. That can't possibly have anything to do with it.

Judging by what they just did by ramming through iOS 6 maps, I'd say Apple is focusing less and less on "user experience."

Why do you assume the "user experience" of Siri on iPhone 4 would be worse than on a 4S? I want details. Is it just blind faith? You mentioned something about "sound dampening" technology or some nonsense that only the 4S has. How do you explain how Siri works on hardware without this mythical "sound dampening technology"? Can you explain how this technology works?

What is your explanation for all the hacks that got iPhone 4 to use Siri? Sorcery?

Quote:

I rather think that it IS Google's fault for only ever having provided a non-Flash version of Street View to their iOS customers (Android, too?) in the first place. Is there much preventing a native web version thereof? 

If you're asking why Google didn't write Streetview in HTML5, the answer is A) HTML5 was a horribly useless technology when Streetview first came out and B) HTML5 is still less functional for inlay-heavy interactive websites, especially considering all the Streetview APIs floating out there that are dependent on Flash. Uprooting that whole system in favor of HTML is a big effort, and until iOS 6 came out, was pointless because iOS devices could use streetview anyway.

But, Apple goes and ruins that. And, right on cue, you claim it's Google's fault all along. How dare Google code an app using Flash, then port it to iOS, and then ... have Apple remove their app! Bizarre.

Quote:

Keep believing whatever you want to pretend to believe.

You just refuse to answer the question. When did you start liking Apple? Who first introduced you to their products, and when was the last time you used a competitor's? Ever thought about why?

• Reply 16 of 30
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    I updated my iPad2 an hour ago. I wasn't expecting Siri (which is a very odd experience anyway with a New Zealand accent, lol) and was expecting Maps to be a lot worse from all the negative reports.. Maps is ok it'll only get better in time.
    Biggest improvement - Safari and Internet browsing. Great for me over wifi. Prolly twice as fast.
  • Reply 17 of 30

I'm still baffle why Apple didn't include the one feature many iPad 2 users was looking forward to using - Siri.

• Reply 18 of 30
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    adrianjnyc wrote: »
    I'm still baffle why Apple didn't include the one feature many iPad 2 users was looking forward to using - Siri.

If there's one thing that's a work in progress it's Siri. I understand that it's pretty good for North Americans but 5 mins with it here in nz and well .... you just don't go there.
    No biggie - I can easily live without it. Don't need it.
  • Reply 19 of 30

What's so confusing about it? They want to sell iPad 3's.

• Reply 20 of 30

I also updated my ipad 2 to os6 and expected to get Siri and get rid of the crappy google map. Well, I like the new map: much faster and turn by turn, but disappointed with the lack of Siri. I'm a software engineer and fully understand that Apple spend a lot of money on software  and can only recoup the investment by selling new device. Instead of locking all of the Ipad 2 users out, I think Apple should make it an option to pay to upgrade to get Siri just like their Mac os upgrade.