Embark, Garmin add public transit support for Apple's iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sez you.

Says anyone, because none of us could possibly know what he would or would not have allowed. Nothing said in that respect could possibly be correct.

• Reply 22 of 58
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I disagree with people knocking Apple Maps. First, the phone isn't even out yet. So people knocking it are early reviewers or people lucky to somehow get their hands on it early. Other people should hold of knocking it until they have actually used it. Second, Apple in some ways has undoubtedly improved the map experience. For instance, Siri integration, turn-by-turn, better map resolution, and working with automobile manufacturers to sync with the iPhone is likely going to be great. The application seems to be taking a hit in some areas such as accuracy of some directions, street view, and lack of transportation directions. This brings me to my third point.

Third, Apple needed to take control of the Map experience to improve on it. It needs the data that currently Google gets to make it happen. For example, some reports suggest Google was withholding turn by turn. Apple can't rely on Google to supply something as important as Maps.

Look at all the people hating on Final Cut Pro X. On the App Store it was getting one and two stars when it first came out. Within six months Apple greatly improved the application, and now most people love the App. Maps will be the same way. Apple has integrated ways within the app to improve the experience by allowing users to tell it when something is wrong.

Further, people automatically assume Apple is responsible for it dumping Google maps. The contract between the two parties ended, and either party could have demanded unreasonable terms.
  • Reply 23 of 58

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I disagree with people knocking Apple Maps. First, the phone isn't even out yet. So people knocking it are early reviewers or people lucky to somehow get their hands on it early.

iOS 6 came out yesterday. Anyone with an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad 3, and 4th gen iPod touch can have these maps.

Further, people automatically assume Apple is responsible for it dumping Google maps. The contract between the two parties ended, and either party could have demanded unreasonable terms.

I heard that Google refused to license turn-by-turn to Apple, for example. No source for it, but it's a possibility.

• Reply 24 of 58
    Maps is now a platform, not an app.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Sez you.

I think this is one of the few times when this comment is actually quite justified.  Steve Jobs wouldn't have even allowed them to continue using that silly icon with the directional error in it, let alone released a product with so many obvious flaws that would be so easy to correct if someone had the brains to think about it before hand.  

I think it's almost guaranteed that several people would have been fired over this if Steve was still around.  As it is, we probably will never know who screwed up and why and they will continue to work at Apple in some capacity. 

You're right. Steve Jobs would never release an iphone without cut/paste or a native SDK. He would never release a half-baked speaker system for the iPod. /s

• Reply 26 of 58

Quote:

Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 12:48 pm

Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

C'mon Apple, Get with the program... we can't wait forever... it's been one whole day!

• Reply 27 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Maps is now a platform, not an app.

That is an astute observation!

• Reply 28 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Except the apps cost ridiculous amounts of money, they only work for the USA-ians (again), 

As usual, you can't be bothered to get the facts right.

Try this:
    http://letsembark.com/#home

Now, read the bold headline in the middle of the page:

"We make free, fast, and simple
    mobile apps for mass transit
    riders worldwide."

Any questions?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    I've just downloaded Embark NYC Subway and I don't see the integration to Maps. In fact Embark uses the same NYC map used by iTrans NYC, and that can also be downloaded from MTA's website. Was any transit info supposed to overlay with Maps or do we solely rely on the third party app for that info?
  • Reply 30 of 58
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

I sometimes don't know what I'm talking about and this may, indeed, be one of those times ..... but isn't Apple going to use a lot of crowd source info for the map app .... and if that is the case, doesn't it stand to reason that, as more and more people are using the iPhone, the map app will be more and more accurate. I think that with the predicted success of this phone we should see an even more amazing product as time goes by. I'll reserve my judgement of it until it gets more mature ..... in the meantime google maps is still available on the web, so not really something to lose sleep over, IMHO.

• Reply 31 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    LOL: navigate (hehe) to google maps on the browser and first thing is a note on how to add the page to your home screen, a bit later there's a note "the same Google Maps, now in your mobile browser".

Yawn.
  • Reply 32 of 58

Anyone who travels in outlying areas (or overseas) where wifi or cellular connections are unavailable or not utilized, will want to use a paid app anyhow.  The little I paid for Navigon (both domestic and European versions) has been saved many times over by being available everywhere, due to having to rely only on GPS availability, saving a bunch on gas and time spent.  I never liked the Google app for navigation anyhow, due to the lack of turn-by-turn, and because it is virtually unusable in any way if you are out of wifi/cellular range.

Let's face it, $60 for a superb app like Navigon USA is not too much to pay, in the overall context of what we all spend on the phone itself and the carrier contract, compared to the benefit derived.

After all, Navigon was impressive enough for Garmin to scoop it up last year.  I used the European version (more expensive at $120), to travel around the UK and Europe - with amazing accuracy and ease of use - money well spent and saved.

• Reply 33 of 58
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

Too bad the Lumia 920 is currently pure vaporware -- no release date, no price.  By the time it finally gets released, Apple will have fixed the map situation.  Good luck with that, Nokia.

It's been out for almost a year on the lumia 800/900... If anything Nokia has a perfect mapping solution.

• Reply 34 of 58
    The Transit App (free, with premium features as subscription) is another good one.
  • Reply 35 of 58

Quote:

Sez you.

I think this is one of the few times when this comment is actually quite justified.  Steve Jobs wouldn't have even allowed them to continue using that silly icon with the directional error in it, let alone released a product with so many obvious flaws that would be so easy to correct if someone had the brains to think about it before hand.  

I think it's almost guaranteed that several people would have been fired over this if Steve was still around.  As it is, we probably will never know who screwed up and why and they will continue to work at Apple in some capacity. 

I agree with this.  In other places, such as perhaps the overall design of the iPhone 5, this statement about Steve Jobs probably would not be anywhere near to truth.  In his mind, perhaps even antennagate wasnt a real problem, as the solutions were so simple.  However, here, Maps presents a real problem for many people.  It is one where could potentially weaken the whole Apple experience for a person.  In some cases it would definitely be the opposite of "it just works"  Here was a product that they did not HAVE to release right away, it is merely one element within the system. The very first iPhone and several other products were rumored to be delayed because Steve found flaws they he thought made the product not ready.  

Perheps though, this was unavoidable.  Maybe they did have to release it as their contract with Google was expiring and they could not get one for just 1 yr.  However, Steve had a way of pushing people to stretch themselves beyond the ordinary.  This has been said about him often by many different sources.  So maybe it would have been ready if he were here.

• Reply 36 of 58

the fact that the transit Apps are not intergrated into maps is a negetive for me ....and there is no free MTA bus support app ...i seen one for $2.99 anyone one knows if its any good 

• Reply 37 of 58

Quote:

Sez you.

I agree with this.  In other places, such as perhaps the overall design of the iPhone 5, this statement about Steve Jobs probably would not be anywhere near to truth.  In his mind, perhaps even antennagate wasnt a real problem, as the solutions were so simple.  However, here, Maps presents a real problem for many people.  It is one where could potentially weaken the whole Apple experience for a person.  In some cases it would definitely be the opposite of "it just works"  Here was a product that they did not HAVE to release right away, it is merely one element within the system. The very first iPhone and several other products were rumored to be delayed because Steve found flaws they he thought made the product not ready.  

Perheps though, this was unavoidable.  Maybe they did have to release it as their contract with Google was expiring and they could not get one for just 1 yr.  However, Steve had a way of pushing people to stretch themselves beyond the ordinary.  This has been said about him often by many different sources.  So maybe it would have been ready if he were here.

• Reply 38 of 58
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As usual, you can't be bothered to get the facts right.

Try this:

http://letsembark.com/#home

Now, read the bold headline in the middle of the page:

"We make free, fast, and simple

mobile apps for mass transit

riders worldwide."

Any questions?

The "embark" app is not one of the ones available in my app store.  

When and if such an app becomes available I will be able to tell you what I think about it.  All I see in my app store are a half dozen scam apps that all cost 40-50 dollars.  

Nothing you can say will change the fact that this is a total screwup on Apple's part in many different ways.  Most of the confusion/rage etc. could have been easily avoided, but it wasn't.  

I live in a very large metropolitan area (the third largest in my country), less than 20 minutes from the US border.  My city hall has open source 3D building information available that Apple could have asked for and used.  My transit authority has freely available transit information on a website that Apple could also have easily integrated.  They could have reached out to the transit authorities in place like my town and got them to make an app.  Lots and lots of different things like that *could* easily have been done, but they weren't.  

Additionally, you only have to go half a mile outside of town on iOS maps to get black and white satellite imagery from the 1970's,  or pictures of cloud banks.  A much better option for places where they have such atrocious and counter-productive imagery would be to simply not include the imagery at all.  No one thought of that simple fix either.  

I think Apple f*cked up here and I think they deserve all the criticism they are getting.   They look foolish when they didn't have to and they could have put a much greater effort into getting things ready but they seemingly didn't bother.  Remember, they got their first look at these datasets several years ago.  They've had all that time to either correct them or not use them.  

It's just plain sloppy.

• Reply 39 of 58
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Some of you guys/gals are hilarious.  I haven't used iOS 6 yet (don't want to lose jailbreak) but the general consensus is that Apple dropped the ball with the maps.  How the maps app(s) will evolve is irrelevant.  They hyped the feature up, declared victory over google, then took a crap directly into your hand.  The age old "it is an evolving product, just wait until a year from now" excuse is for Android users, right?  So stop using it.  Stop defending Apple.  Just. Stop. Now.

• Reply 40 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The "embark" app is not one of the ones available in my app store.  
    When and if such an app becomes available I will be able to tell you what I think about it.  All I see in my app store are a half dozen scam apps that all cost 40-50 dollars.  

So not only do you insist on posting blatant falsehoods, but you can't even read the article you're responding to. Here, let me quote it for you:
    Embark, which makes mobile mass transit applications for the iPhone, also announced that its lineup of software is now available for free on iOS 6 and is designed for the iPhone 5. Embark offers sep-by-step directions tailed to specific metropolitan regions, giving riders the fastest routes to their destinations.

Embark said Thursday that its public transit applications for iPhone are now integrated closely with Apple's new Maps in iOS 6. The company has routed more than 40 million public transit trips to date, and says it is the No. 1 public transit application for all markets it serves.

Not to mention the other free apps that others have mentioned in this forum.