Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of numerous complaints regarding Apple's new Maps app introduced with iOS 6 on Wednesday, the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time.

Apple spokesperson Trudy Miller on Thursday told All Things D:
Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service ... We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.
Maps Location Innacuracy
Inaccurate locations in Apple's new Maps app. | Source: Tumblr

The new Maps app baked in to iOS 6 replaces Google Maps, the service Apple has used since the first iPhone was launched in 2007. A round of iPhone 5 reviews published on Tuesday found Apple's first attempt at a mapping service to be comendable, but not nearly as functional as the tried and true option from Google. For example, Maps doesn't support transit routes out of the box and the flyover feature, while impressive, is limited.

Maps Flyover Rendering Issue
Flyover rendering issues.

A number of iOS 6 users have reported inaccuracies with the new service, including misrepresented locations, decades-old place names and incorrect tagging of businesses. Also at issue are incomplete mapping data, bugs in Flyover rendering and a gross lack of specific building data iOS users have come to expect from the legacy Google Maps-based app.

Incomplete Data
Google Maps' building data (left) versus same view on Apple's Maps (right).

Such shortfalls are to be expected from a fledgling product, especially when compared to a well-established service like Google Maps, which has seen constant upgrades and tweaks for nearly a decade.

According to All Things D sources, Apple is keeping its Maps team "under lockdown" to fix some of the larger errors seen in the new app, though it is unlikely that any significant changes will be made in the near future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 259
    Apple F*U*C*K*E*D UP
  • Reply 2 of 259

When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

• Reply 3 of 259
    In the mean time, users of the service are left in the dark. This is not quality.
  • Reply 4 of 259
    When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

Those didn't replace anything. Other tablets continued to be available, users had choice. This is not the case now, unless you do like me and do not upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 259
    This may be the reason I don't update to iOS6. The rest of iOS6 I could take or leave, but the old Maps app was the stock app I used the most. I always thought using Google Maps in Safari was a pain.
  • Reply 6 of 259

Quote:

So your happy to be lost for a year. Moron.

• Reply 7 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Those didn't replace anything. Other tablets continued to be available, users had choice. This is not the case now, unless you do like me and do not upgrade.

They did replace something. They replaced Google's maps with their own. Whether you consider them an adequate replacement or not is up to you.

I know they'll get better in a year or two, so in the meantime I'll be using Google Earth and Waze apps. I'll use Apple's maps occasionally for the larger cities.

• Reply 8 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

This may be the reason I don't update to iOS6. The rest of iOS6 I could take or leave, but the old Maps app was the stock app I used the most. I always thought using Google Maps in Safari was a pain.

If you are capable and willing to use any number of free or low cost replacements, this won't be a big deal. If Google maps are "mission critical" for you, you may want to buy an Android phone.

• Reply 9 of 259

Quote:

In the mean time, users of the service are left in the dark. This is not quality.

Stop crying and download another app in the meantime. It's really not the end of the world!

• Reply 10 of 259

Quote:

Yeah, because I totally cannot use Maps now. I definitely didn't use the nifty turn-by-turn navigation earlier today. Yeah. In the dark.

• Reply 11 of 259

Quote:

Consumers still have choice. They have the choice to use an iPhone. They have the choice to upgrade to iOS 6. They have the choice to use maps.google.com in Safari. They have the choice to use any number of third-party apps.

• Reply 12 of 259

Oh, hey. Guess what. Other mapping services continue to exist.

• Reply 13 of 259

I don't discount anyone's woes, but to chime in with some good feedback..  I haven't experienced any issues in Southern California around Orange County..  So far it's been stable, fast, accurate and the Siri integration is awesome.   

• Reply 14 of 259
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Stop crying and download another app in the meantime. It's really not the end of the world!

Enduring the whining and self pity I see on this list almost makes me want to become a Republican.... almost. 

Nah.

• Reply 15 of 259
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"...the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time."

They keep using that phrase...I do not think it means what they think it means...

And the reason its such a lame explanation is that, when you think about it,

can anyone name a single piece of software or hardware

ever released

that wasn't "a work in progress"?

I think that when you want to shout from the rooftops about your incredible advances,

and how they'll change your lives,

and advertise and then sell them as features,

superior to your competitors',

that perhaps they should be just a little more developed - a little closer

to something you don't need to apologize or make excuses for.

I've always thought that that was part of what separated Apple from the losers

• Reply 16 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's no use, this poster just likes to gripe about everything the iPhone does. Don't even mention the *gasp* new dock connector. Apparently, Apple sent a secret team of agents into his house, stole his current iPhone, and MADE him use an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 loaded on it. And didn't give him an adapter.

• Reply 17 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I don't discount anyone's woes, but to chime in with some good feedback..  I haven't experienced any issues in Southern California around Orange County..  So far it's been stable, fast, accurate and the Siri integration is awesome.   

Same here just outside another major metropolitan area in the Midwest.

Most issues seem to be outside the U.S.

• Reply 18 of 259
    So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.
  • Reply 19 of 259
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I hadn't even used Google Maps for ages in iOS because the lack of turn by turn was deplorable.

Just download and use Waze. It does turn by turn with speech, even on the 3GS and it is free. It even allows you to search through different engines for your results. Set it to Google and be good to go.

• Reply 20 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

"...the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time."

They keep using that phrase...I do not think it means what they think it means...

And the reason its such a lame explanation is that, when you think about it,

can anyone name a single piece of software or hardware

ever released

that wasn't "a work in progress"?

I think that when you want to shout from the rooftops about your incredible advances,

and how they'll change your lives,

and advertise and then sell them as features,

superior to your competitors',

that perhaps they should be just a little more developed - a little closer

to something you don't need to apologize or make excuses for.

I've always thought that that was part of what separated Apple from the losers

Considering even Google relies on user sourced info to make their Maps better, Apple's main way of improving the Maps application was to release it and then quickly improve it. 

It works fine for the majority of people, and it's better (at least for me) in many respects.