Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.

Maybe it was because you used profanity and added nothing to the discussion.

Just maybe.

• Reply 22 of 259

It's a Maps app...as stated, there are others available.  How did you get around 6 years ago before there was a mobile map?  Some people are just ridiculous.

• Reply 23 of 259

I found google maps to be a pain. On the iPhone 4, no turn-by-turn and I had to manually update which road I needed next. I downloaded the free mapQuest app and never looked back.

• Reply 24 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I hadn't even used Google Maps for ages in iOS because the lack of turn by turn was deplorable.

Just download and use Waze. It does turn by turn with speech, even on the 3GS and it is free. It even allows you to search through different engines for your results. Set it to Google and be good to go.

People seem to forget how there's this thing called THIRD PARTY APPS available.

Also, maps.google.com.

• Reply 25 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

"...the company has issued a statement saying the service is a work in progress and will get better with time."

They keep using that phrase...I do not think it means what they think it means...

And the reason its such a lame explanation is that, when you think about it,

can anyone name a single piece of software or hardware

ever released

that wasn't "a work in progress"?

I think that when you want to shout from the rooftops about your incredible advances,

and how they'll change your lives,

and advertise and then sell them as features,

superior to your competitors',

that perhaps they should be just a little more developed - a little closer

to something you don't need to apologize or make excuses for.

I've always thought that that was part of what separated Apple from the losers

When I was at IBM they would say:

1. We understand the problem.

2. We have our best people working on it.

3. We have nothing more to say at this time.

But, in all fairness, a service like a mapping program is a "work in progress"... and it always will be. 

• Reply 26 of 259

Forgot to add, i've used it 3 times since updating. Maps have been fine, I love it.  The only thing I missed after leaving Android were the turn by turn directions.  Now I have it back, so what if it may eventually "fail" me once or twice.  It's frickin' technology, it's not perfect, and I already prefer it to the Google version.

Bottom line, it WILL get better, just as Google's got better over time.  It's already starting better than Google with the vectoring.

• Reply 27 of 259

No problem using the Maps App in NJ and NYC.  My biggest complaint (even on a Verizon 4S) with Google's maps was that they were painfully slow.  iOS 6 maps scroll much smoother and the 'gray boxes' fill in around 5 times faster than iOS 5 maps.  I am looking forward to them getting even better, and with 15% adoption rate of iOS 6 already, I think that will happen rapidly.

I also don't get people complaining about "long download times" for the iOS 6 update or other slowness related to the first day of an OS release.  No one is forcing you to upgrade on the very first day along with everyone else.  I upgraded several devices yesterday each in around 30 minutes.  The time that Android users have to wait for their latest releases is measured in months!

• Reply 28 of 259
    When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

You have to stick with SW on this one. They try new stuff with SW all the time, and have reversed their stance on it more than once. Safari had tabs on top for a spell; although that was a beta release. iMovie was redone and then they had to release the old version because it didn't have a lot of features people wanted. I think there was something like that with FCPX, too.

They won't be able to do that with Maps. The best could do now is approve Google's App Store submission and add a Settings option to change which map (and mail and browser apps are default) but we both know that won't happen for at least a year.
  • Reply 29 of 259
    I'm surprised they didn't call it a beta like they did with Siri.
  • Reply 30 of 259
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    In the meantime, there is still www.google.com/maps. Add it to your home screen.
  • Reply 31 of 259
    It's not working well up here in the Hamilton/Toronto Canada. The app is beautiful, and I'm sure it will work better shortly, but right now it doesn't understand the addresses I input
  • Reply 32 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Yeah, because I totally cannot use Maps now. I definitely didn't use the nifty turn-by-turn navigation earlier today. Yeah. In the dark.

My cousin lives in a small town in Massachusetts. Other than the pin dropping in that area, 85% of the roads are just not there. He literally IS in the dark. 

• Reply 33 of 259

I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:

1. does it include ads?

2. is it tracking you?

3. can you opt out of ads or tracking?

4. would you prefer a private mapping mode?

5. is none of this a problem?

• Reply 34 of 259
    But, in all fairness, a service like a mapping program is a "work in progress"... and it always will be. 

Please don't suggest that "work in progress" is the same thing as what people are taking an issue with. No one is suggesting there will be no updates to the app. No one is saying it doesn't have any nice aspects to it. You knew full well they are saying it's not as useful as the previous app.

Let's remember, this isn't some Google v Apple thing. This is an Apple v Apple thing. It was their Maps software that came on on their devices. This defense of the things people are missing from Apple's Maps app is akin to people saying that they PenTile AMOLED on the SIII better than their non-PenTile Android phone simply because their SIII is newer.
  • Reply 35 of 259

"We appreciate all of the customer feedback"

Yeah, I'll bet they appreciate it...  ;-)  Unfortunately this is showing its not a big deal to Apple Mngmnt you just deal with it - its a great feature we'll make it better in the future...no sweat (as far as Apple Mgmnt is concerned).  JMHO...

They need to get in front of this issue better than this, particularly before the iPhone 5 rolls out over the next days or the most talked about feature of the phone in the media will be how much worse the Mapping feature is on it than before....

• Reply 36 of 259

At least Apple has taken note. I appreciate that, though it was expected, sooner or later. 

Great. So now what? I wonder what Apple can or will do to actually "rectify" this in a meaningful way, and in what timeframe. It may take quite a while to fix a lot of these problems, in which case Apple's acknowledgement isn't of much use. Still nice to see they made a statement about it. 

• Reply 37 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I'm surprised they didn't call it a beta like they did with Siri.

They needed to, big time and they needed to keep the Google based Map app available while users helped improve the Apple data based one.  This could really do some serious PR damage right at product launch for their iPhone 5 and they could do so much better with it.

• Reply 38 of 259
    There are lot of map apps on IOS to choose from - including those from Garmin.
  • Reply 39 of 259

Navigon

• Reply 40 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

At least Apple has taken note. I appreciate that, though it was expected, sooner or later. 

Great. So now what? I wonder what Apple can or will do to actually "rectify" this in a meaningful way, and in what timeframe. It may take quite a while to fix a lot of these problems, in which case Apple's acknowledgement isn't of much use. Still nice to see they made a statement about it. 

They could probably roll the old app back out at least for this year (since the license was supposedly through 2012) and keep the new one on the phone and designate it a Beta...that would be a huge step forward, but probably not going to happen until they see this starts to significantly affect sales of the 5 (not saying it will).