Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 259
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

More here. :)

• Reply 82 of 259

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Skil, I'm in agreement with your comments 99% of the time. But Apple deserves the negative comments they are getting right now. They replaced a superior product with a lesser product. Expect people to complain. Yes it will get better, yes it's a 1.0 release but right now, we went from having great mapping information to far less. Telling people to accept it from a massive company like Apple who prides itself on great software or to simply use other software is only trying to deflect the issue.

I have absolutely no problem with complaining about Maps. I have some complaints myself. What bothers me is when the complaints ignore common sense and even the crux of the matter. 

My biggest question right now is why Apple isn't just using 100% of vanilla OSM data, 1:1 with what we can see on their website. Or maybe they're not using OSM at all!

• Reply 83 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I don't know why Apple decided to become a mapping company. Totally unnecessary, the Google Maps app was perfectly fine. These tedious little cat fights are what bring companies and countries crashing down by draining their talent and resources. 

Apple definitely did the right thing by developing their own mapping service & they should be developing their own services that constitute a core technology of the platform.  Being in charge of your own destiny is far better than being dependent on another company especially one that has the potential and size to really compete with you.  But this is poor execution on Apple's part especially for a major service like Maps. As of now the two best mapping services for mobile devices are Google (for Android) and Nokia (for Windows Phone).  If enough people get put off by Apple's solution it 1) damages Apple's reputation and trust with consumers & 2) gives customers a reason to look at competing solutions which is good for the Android and Windows Phone platform. I'm not saying Apple is doomed as a company but this definitely puts a serious chink in their armor.

• Reply 84 of 259
    When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

So those bridges should be like that? Apple is right and reality is wrong?
  • Reply 85 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:

1. does it include ads?

No

1. is it tracking you?

Yes but you can opt out of google's location services. This pinpoints your position using wi-fi and mobile network to determine approximate location.

1. can you opt out of ads or tracking.

No ads and See above

1. would you prefer a private mapping mode?

The location service doesnt bother me, but I would try if an app came out and looked better than Google Maps.

1. is none of this a problem?

To me I dont find it a problem. No ads so that's good.

An honest question for you, since I have never used an iPhone or iPad but am interested in apple's new products, does Apple's mapping service track you? And can you opt out of that?

• Reply 86 of 259
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

So no one should ever complain about Apple software? If you do then you are a whiner? All the negative comments on iOS maps are justified. I'm a massive Apple fan and hate to see Apple make a mis-step but my reality distortion field isn't that strong.

If there were no other solutions, then I could see what the big deal is. Since there are other solutions out there, including Google's, which I read that they had submitted to the app store, then nope, I can't say that this is a big deal at all.

Apple's mapping solution is obviously not going to be as fully mature as others that have been out for many years. So, use others, like I said, I don't see the big deal. 

• Reply 87 of 259
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I don't discount anyone's woes, but to chime in with some good feedback..  I haven't experienced any issues in Southern California around Orange County..  So far it's been stable, fast, accurate and the Siri integration is awesome.   

Yes I tested everything related to the places I frequent in OC and everything was dead on the money location-wise.The ariel photography is a bit lower resolution than before and about a year or two older but it is ok.

• Reply 88 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

It's just that the 'Flyover' is pretty until you get to the flatlands. Even as an urbanite without a car, I NEVER used Google maps for transit information. I tried it on line once and it directed me to catch two buses to a station for a train line, that had a station a mile from my home (one bus or a brisk walk away) and it could never distinguish between 'commuter' and 'public transit' train lines. Commuter lines ae from the city to the suburbs and public transportation lines are in the city and intercept with bus lines. So I ain't missing that at all.

Try 3D/Flyover while in Standard Maps view -- it gives you an interesting perspective that, sometimes, is quite useful.

• Reply 89 of 259

Apple's figuring out now (or learning, rather), that in this volatile market in 2012, OS map apps are serious business, and consumers won't tolerate losing key features on which they have come to rely. Apple would like a free pass, playing the "give it time" card. In my view, this time they shouldn't get one. 

• Reply 90 of 259

So far I like it , Its easy to say I need directions to this contact or something to that extent. I played with on my way to work and on a delivery even though I knew where I was going. It was more like a gps in a car which was nice, one less thing to bring. I think the turning directions could have been a little faster coming if you don't know where you are it would have been a little late. But i liked asking SIRI where I could park and she listed parking garages, and updated directions accordingly. I don't do mass transit so that wasn't an issue. It seemed more accurate for location and seemed faster loading then google maps. I'm happy with it, it will only get better.

• Reply 91 of 259
    If you want google maps, stop your ******* whinging and just go to maps.google.com and there you have it. Apple maps haven't replaced google maps, they have just given you an option.
  • Reply 92 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If there were no other solutions, then I could see what the big deal is. Since there are other solutions out there, including Google's, which I read that they had submitted to the app store, then nope, I can't say that this is a big deal at all.

Apple's mapping solution is obviously not going to be as fully mature as others that have been out for many years. So, use others, like I said, I don't see the big deal. 

I have to disagree here. The "don't worry, there are other solutions" seems like a massive cop-out, and a dangerous one. If that attitude persists, it could affect much more than a maps app. 

• Reply 93 of 259
    hill60 wrote: »
    I went for my morning walk today and due to the lack of street view, I can't find my house, now I am forever doomed to roam these nameless streets...

.../s

Try looking up, that's where the street names are lol
  • Reply 94 of 259

Bottom line:

Apple released an app that doesn't work the way it's supposed to, but have marketed it to give the impression of the contrary, and on top of that, have taken away all means for the consumer to go back to what they had before.

I'm not sure in what galaxy the Apple I know would have found this acceptable.

And yes, I'll say it: Steve would never have let this thing see the light of day in its current state. This screw-up definitely calls for some terminations at Apple. 

• Reply 95 of 259
    Apple should have waited until their app was perfect before releasing it. Nevermind the fact that you need user generated data from millions of people in thousands of different locations all over the world to perfect a mapping platform. I truly believe had Apple's small team of 5 engineers and 8 software developers been willing to put in 24 hr shifts years at a time, partaking in hiking, boating, driving, flying, skiing, and hovercrafting all over the planet, this would have never happened. I mean, who really needs user generated data when you and twelve others can realistically scale every inch of the globe?

I'm pissed. I just canceled my new iPhone order and tomorrow I'm returning my new iPad. And if I'm still angry in a week, I'm returning my MacBook Air.

WebOS, here I come.
  • Reply 96 of 259
    Try MapQuest temporarily. It's FREE and has turn-by-turn.
  • Reply 97 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I don't know why Apple decided to become a mapping company. Totally unnecessary, the Google Maps app was perfectly fine. These tedious little cat fights are what bring companies and countries crashing down by draining their talent and resources. 

Such as Google buying Android over concerns that they would be frozen out of mobile advertising?

• Reply 98 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd105 View Post

An honest question for you, since I have never used an iPhone or iPad but am interested in apple's new products, does Apple's mapping service track you? And can you opt out of that?

No it does not. Apple have the best privacy policy of any mobile company. 

Just remember to bury the body deep.

• Reply 99 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Apple should have waited until their app was perfect before releasing it. Nevermind the fact that you need user generated data from millions of people in thousands of different locations all over the world to perfect a mapping platform. I truly believe had Apple's small team of 5 engineers and 8 software developers been willing to put in 24 hr shifts years at a time, partaking in hiking, boating, driving, flying, skiing, and hovercrafting all over the planet, this would have never happened. I mean, who really needs user generated data when you and twelve others can realistically scale every inch of the globe?

I'm pissed. I just canceled my new iPhone order and tomorrow I'm returning my new iPad. And if I'm still angry in a week, I'm returning my MacBook Air.

WebOS, here I come.

Seriously? All because of a map app?!

• Reply 100 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

6 years ago I had a Nokia N95 with Nokia Maps, and it could find my street!

After a 15 minute wait to tune in to the satellites.

Ah, the past looks good through rose tinted glasses.