Rumor that Google has submitted Maps app for iOS 6 is false

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A rumor that Google had submitted an iOS 6-compatible maps app to Apple after the built-in version was removed with the new mobile OS is false, says the well-connected Jim Dalrymple.

In a trademark terse post to his website The Loop, Dalrymple said "Nope" in response to claims that Google Maps for iOS 6 had been submitted to Apple for review.

Google Maps Submission
Source: The Loop

The rumor gained traction on Thursday as pundits and users bemoaned the lack of features and overall state of Apple's new Maps app in iOS 6.

Apple's iOS 6 was launched on Wednesday with Maps as one of the tentpole features, however critics have taken to bashing the software, saying that its thin feature set and lack of comprehensive coverage is a step backward from Google's offering. The internet search giant's mapping service has been refined for nearly a decade and was the main maps app in the iPhone since the device debuted in 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    When Jim talks, I listen, especially when it comes to rumors. As far as I can remember he hasn't been wrong yet.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    OMG. When is iPhone going to come with a matt screen? I can't buy one until it's matt.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Here's a quick tip: When asking a question to someone known for giving "terse" answers, DON'T MAKE IT A COMPOUND QUESTION! Was he saying "nope" that Google has submitted the app? Or, was he saying "nope" about Apple "sitting on it?"
  • Reply 4 of 44
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

So I was on Yahoo news site and saw an article about iPhone 5 and iOS6 Maps.  And they are saying that there is a major disappointment.

Link to that story.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/users-react-to-apple%E2%80%99s-latest-software-update-for-iphone-and-ipad--and-it%E2%80%99s-not-all-roses.html

• Reply 5 of 44

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

So I was on Yahoo news site and saw an article about iPhone 5 and iOS6 Maps.  And they are saying that there is a major disappointment.

Well, Yahoo! says it. It must be true. They're certainly a source of what's current in tech these days.

Originally Posted by Atanner View Post

OMG. When is iPhone going to come with a matt screen? I can't buy one until it's matt.

I prefer dave screens. Less gloria.

• Reply 6 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Here's a quick tip: When asking a question to someone known for giving "terse" answers, DON'T MAKE IT A COMPOUND QUESTION! Was he saying "nope" that Google has submitted the app? Or, was he saying "nope" about Apple "sitting on it?"

When you put it that way, that's a good point. Still doesn't change the fact he has the best track record for predicting Apple rumors.

• Reply 7 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

People should stop worrying about a native Google app and try out the web app. Aside from not having Street View it is really similar to the original Maps app. Give it a try at maps.google.com. It will get you by until this maps nightmare is resolved. Eventually Apple will sort out their issues but it is going to be a while so get used to it. They are not bringing Google Maps back as the core functionality on iOS. That is all. I will stop commenting on this now (so long as someone doesn't outright flame me).

• Reply 8 of 44
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, Yahoo! says it. It must be true. They're certainly a source of what's current in tech these days.

I dont agree with Yahoo.  But I think it's a ploy to make Apple look like it is losing touch with the demands of the people.  Yet seems like that happened with the first iPad talk and how it got put down for being so limited.  Steve Jobs was very disappointed with the greater response when that device rolled out.  Yet it bounced back very quickly.  As will the iPhone 5 and iOS6.

• Reply 9 of 44
    Well that's too bad, but at least I've already downgraded my iPad. Not sure what I'm going to do for development now but I know I'm not upgrading again for a while.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/12867/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Goodbye iOS 6...
  • Reply 10 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Frankly, I don't give a Dan. 

• Reply 11 of 44

I don't need no Google Maps.  I like Apple Maps.

I don't need to StreetView.  I prefer FlyOver.

I remember the initial backlash for Final Cut Pro and now everyone loves it.

Apple Maps will rule the worlds.

Time will tell.

• Reply 12 of 44
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Well that's too bad, but at least I've already downgraded my iPad. Not sure what I'm going to do for development now but I know I'm not upgrading again for a while.

Goodbye iOS 6...

You sound completely reasonable and not acting in a knee-jerk reactionary fashion at all.  It must be nice to be so level-headed.

• Reply 13 of 44
    jetlaw wrote: »

Jetlaw, nobody asked him anything. He was simply responding to a rumor on 9to5 Mac and given The Beard's connections inside Apple I'd say it's "Nope" both to a new app from Google as well as Apple sitting on it.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    zengazenga Posts: 267member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atanner View Post

jajajajajajajajajajaa!!!!! this is too much!!!

• Reply 15 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Jetlaw, nobody asked him anything. He was simply responding to a rumor on 9to5 Mac and given The Beard's connections inside Apple I'd say it's "Nope" both to a new app from Google as well as Apple sitting on it.

That's not the way I read it. The part he is responding to simply says that there's a rumor that Google submitted Maps to Apple. The part about Apple sitting on it appears to be a headline added later.
  • Reply 16 of 44

The iOS 6 Maps app is an upgrade to the original Maps app. There never has been a Google Maps app, by the way. The original Maps app was Apple's software, the Maps app used Google's map data. But a change was necessary due to Google would not provide Apple with certain APIs in order to have turn by turn voice nav. So, Apple's new map data supplier is TomTom, which has been curating
  • Reply 17 of 44

Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post

But a change was necessary due to Google would not provide Apple with certain APIs in order to have turn by turn voice nav.

Do we have a source on this?

• Reply 18 of 44
    The traffic on the new Apple Maps App sucks. That's about my only complaint.
  • Reply 19 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atanner View Post

Plastic stick-on covers for the iPhone screen to turn it from shiny to matt have been available for at least four years.  

They cost almost nothing relative to the price of the phone.  

Getting rid of the gloss is in fact pretty much the only reason to even use a "screen protector" as they serve no other practical purpose.  

• Reply 20 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not the way I read it. The part he is responding to simply says that there's a rumor that Google submitted Maps to Apple. The part about Apple sitting on it appears to be a headline added later.

Logically, it has to be both though doesn't it?  

If it's true that they haven't submitted it, then it can't be true that Apple is "sitting on it."