Blockbuster iPhone 5 launch expected to push Apple stock to $850

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Excitement over the launch of the iPhone 5 and a "large, captive audience for upgrades" have prompted one analyst to increase his price target for Apple stock to $850.

Chris Whitmore with Deutsche Bank said in a note to investors on Friday that demand for the iPhone 5 is "extremely robust." Combined with a fast international launch, his prior estimates for iPhone 5 sales were too conservative.

He believes Apple could sell as many as 5 million to 6 million iPhone 5 units in the first weekend alone. Accordingly, he has raised his iPhone estimates for calendar 2012 from a previous prediction of 133 million to a new projection of 138 million.

Calendar year 2013 has been increased even more by Whitmore, from 170 million during the 12-month span to a new forecast of 180 million iPhones sold.

Whitmore sees the iPhone representing about 20 percent of total smartphone share, which would be about even with Apple's share in 2012. As such, he said his estimates could prove conservative, as he believes Apple has "ample room for additional share gains going forward."

Sales

In his eyes, Apple's continued success with the iPhone in a highly competitive smartphone market hinges upon five specific advantages:
  • Apple's rich application offerings and third-party ecosystem
  • The iPhone 5 is a significant form factor and radio (LTE) upgrade
  • Android is likely to get more expensive or lose features as a result of litigation
  • An expanded geographic reach
  • Meaningful iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS installed base upgrade potential
Whitmore also believes that Apple could see supply constraints extend into the December quarter and holiday shopping season. If that ends up being the case, sales would then be deferred to the first half of 2013, which would suggest that iPhone 5 would generate a longer, more sustained cycle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    apple is doomed.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But android is winning! iSheep! No NFC? Open! Maps!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My guess is that will happen early to mid 2014. Just a guess, I hope it is far sooner.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    jungmark wrote: »

I hope you forgot the /s tag. /smile
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I hope you forgot the /s tag. /smile

I did but I figured the random words with exclamation points would give it away.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My guess is that will happen early to mid 2014. Just a guess, I hope it is far sooner.

$850? $850 is happening by February after earnings. If not, the p/e is going to be compressed down to something truly insane.

• Reply 7 of 18

The hardware looks to be first-rate. There's never a problem with that. The iPhone has always been the most beautiful handset in the industry. 

As for iOS, apart from the somewhat (curiously) ugly dialer screen, and the App Store redesign (which I'm already warming up to), and the only real niggle being Maps (which is disappointing but which I can live with), iOS 6 is a work of art. All those little touches and refinements, it looks more elegant and is more usable than it's ever been. And it all comes from under one roof, making it the most integrated experience out there. It's amazing how the overall polish and solid design of the OS can blunt the edges of even the most glaring negatives. 

I *will* note that at least I get the *full* iOS maps experience on my iPad 2. The turn-by-turn feature works nicely and the app is quite fast, on my iPhone 4 as well. There. Maps aint *all*  bad.    ;)

• Reply 8 of 18

Brutal

• Reply 9 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I did but I figured the random words with exclamation points would give it away.

Don't worry, they did :)

• Reply 10 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I know you're been sarcastic, but let me try:

No hardware to use NFC globally in stores. Closed = more secure, more stable - besides, the best apps and the most apps. maps.google.com (until G release Maps iOS app in a few weeks, while ? continually iterates on Maps. + I never use Maps.

• Reply 11 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Picked one up today... Maps is fine, love SIRI (my first phone with it) - both have proven quite accurate to a single day's assessment lol. At least my home is back where it has always been, something Google maps hadn't managed in several years! Speed and fluidity, particularly visible for example in Maps and Safari, are amazing. The design is iconic and so I didn't need or want a major change from the 4 and 4s. The camera is great, panorama too.

Most stocks in a large Telco outlet here were gone before lunch time. The white model was quite popular too apparently. The 32 GB model that I had intended purchasing were gone before I got in the door, so I had to settle for the 64 GB one, oh the disappointment!

All the best.

• Reply 12 of 18

Blockbuster iPhone 5 launch expected to push Apple stock to $850

Did anyone else read that as Apple having a new retail partnership with Blockbuster Video?

• Reply 13 of 18
    Really?

A 20% increase in AAPL stock valuation in 18 months? That would be an utter disappointment.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    jakeb wrote: »
    $850? $850 is happening by February after earnings. If not, the p/e is going to be compressed down to something truly insane.

Fingers crossed you are correct.
  • Reply 15 of 18

I totally did.

• Reply 17 of 18

Well we know what happened to Bb

• Reply 18 of 18

Originally Posted by tomsuave View Post

Well we know what happened to Bb

Yeah, something which is completely irrelevant to what is going on here and has no connection to this article or the contents therein in any way, shape, or form.