"Reluctantly" buying an iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

It was a tough decision, but I've decided to buy the iPhone 5 (which I've pre-ordered and can pick up tomorrow) rather than wait till November for the Lumia 920. Having used WP7.5 most recently, the iOS interface now seems dated and static and I struggle to see what apple can do to refresh its user interface in future without going down the widget or live tiles route. That said, I was won over by the superior app selection, compatibility with all my other apple stuff and friends/relative's iPhones, and most importantly - immediate availability since I lost my Lumia 800 and can't stand the old piece of crap I've been using. But how much longer can apple expect consumers to overlook the dated UI?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

Originally Posted by ahhk22 View Post

…iOS interface now seems dated and static… But how much longer can apple expect consumers to overlook the dated UI?

There's nothing "dated" about it. Consumers aren't overlooking anything. They're looking directly at it and loving it, continuing to love it. Do you complain that you've had to use a Dock for the past decade and a Menu Bar for the past 28 years?

The Springboard looks the same because the design is right. There's no sense changing things because change. 

• Reply 2 of 5

I don't want widgets or live tiles because that's just something else I wouldn't use that would eat up more battery life.

• Reply 3 of 5

Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

I don't want widgets or live tiles because that's just something else I wouldn't use that would eat up more battery life.

Well, good! You're makin' sense now. I don't get the whole "widget" drive, either. They're really rather useless. 

• Reply 4 of 5

The dock doesn't need to change because it's still a very functional design solution. But I say that the grid UI is dated because it doesn't allow you to receive summary information at a glance or manipulate apps without a lot of extra taps to find and launch them. I especially dislike the iOS notifications menu, which provides mostly notifications I don't care about, and then I have to try to tap the little x to clear them away. At least the android version gives you an option of controlling basic settings. Oh well, maybe all the extra searching and tapping with iOS is good brain activity, just like how they say that  mindless practicing of Chinese characters is actually good for right-brain development. 

• Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahhk22 View Post

The dock doesn't need to change because it's still a very functional design solution. But I say that the grid UI is dated because it doesn't allow you to receive summary information at a glance or manipulate apps without a lot of extra taps to find and launch them. I especially dislike the iOS notifications menu, which provides mostly notifications I don't care about, and then I have to try to tap the little x to clear them away. At least the android version gives you an option of controlling basic settings. Oh well, maybe all the extra searching and tapping with iOS is good brain activity, just like how they say that  mindless practicing of Chinese characters is actually good for right-brain development. 

Those can be turn off or specify how NC present that info. Those are basic too.